Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
why honda had to make it so difficult to access the ody's air filter is beyond me! well, more difficult than most cars anyways. i changed my air filter last nite at about 7,800 miles. now, it is recommended to be changed at 15,000 miles under normal conditions!! does the air filter really last that long? i typically change the air filter every 6-7,000 miles.

------------------
1999 CR-V EX - Silver
2001 Odyssey EX - Silver

·
Registered
171 Posts
Geez, I normally change my air filters every 30K! Even if it appears dirty, it's probably still good. Rule of thumb is if you put a light up to it and can see light through the pleats on the the other side, then it's okay to put back in.

Where do you see the 15K recommendation for normal conditions? In the manual, this is listed in the severe conditions schedule but notes to use the normal schedule except in dusty conditions.

[This message has been edited by vquan (edited 02-22-2002).]

·
Registered
596 Posts
30K seems to be a pretty much industry wide interval, except for those of us who do dirt roads(I'll stay home, thank you). It was interesting that in my DC manual it was suggested that one not even "look" at the filter until the 30K was over, since "the filter actually becomes MORE efficient at filtering as it becomes partially plugged." the 30K interval works fine for all but the dirtiest usage, although one may lose a little power and response toward the end of the cycle. The old check to see if light passed through the filter has always been a pretty good test.

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
This space intentionally left blank. Sorry.

[This message has been edited by SuperDad (edited 02-22-2002).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts