Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to replace my cabin and enginer air filters. Are the K&N filters worth the cost or just stick w Honda/OEM ?

Also, I know how to do the cabin filter, but anyone know how to access the enginer air filter ? I couldn't find any info on the web.

Thanks much.

·
Registered
9,247 Posts
There's an ongoing discussion about the benefit of K&N air filters (increased performance?) versus their drawback (less filtration?). Their greater cost doesn't necessarily mean they are better, only that they are different.

Need to know the year of your Ody to advise on replacing the air filter.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have no problem with K&N, as long as you maintain it properly and own the vehicle a long time, it will pay off.

That said, I have been using those advance auto coupons lately and stocking up on stuff. The $25 off $60 purchase is great for things like air filters :)

The purolator is like $13 before coupon, buy enough other stuff and it becomes really cheap after the BIG25 coupon is applied ($25 off $60) and use in store pickup to save on shipping.

For the cabin air filter, I bought a generic washable reusable filter element from walmart for $4 and cut out cabin air filters for 3 cars from it and have saved a fortune over time :)

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Engine air filter needs a long philips screwdriver. You still have to force the top up a bit to pull the filter out. I'm not a fan of oiled filters...good quality paper filter is the way I go. I used to run oiled filters but just don't see the advantage and they do not filter as well (based on oil analysis).

·
Registered
632 Posts
My experience with K&N based on my accord is improved launch from a stand still but decreased my real world miles per gallon. On the contrary those Honda OEM filter had my mpg close or exactly what my window sticker indicated for city driving. I guess performance and hyper milers dont go hand in hand.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I had a '91 5.0 Mustang, the factory mass air induction system would sense the increased airflow and adjust accordingly. Yes, in that case, the K&N did improve performance. Present day, the Tundra forums I frequent recommend leaving the OEM filter in place. Why? The K&N filter causes a drop in torque. Something you'd want in a large heavy pickup especially if your towing. And, as you see in cebu 888's case, there can be tradeoffs.

I didn't purchase one for my van because I felt the cost/benefit wasn't there.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Unless you are in WOT, less airflow restriction by the air filter will mean more airflow restriction by the FI system. VCM makes the FI let air go in the remaining cylinder with less restriction, saving on pumping losses.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts