Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Air Lift bags in my Odyssey, and they are great. However, I was tired of filling them once a month. So, I built an automatic filling system with safety features to protect the bags. The compressor was purchased from Air Lift, and the electrical power comes from the rear power accessory electrical wire through a relay. The relay is turned on when the reverse light is on, and a cut-in and out-out pressure switch will turn off the pump when it reaches 60 psi. The pressurized air is regulated down to 20 psi, and feeds two lines with check valves attached to the air bags. The output of the regulator has a 30 psi pressure relief valve to protect the bags from over pressure if the regulator fails. The check valves leak slightly, and became a feature to equalize the pressure when sitting for a long time.

I moved my jack to the wheel well, and put most of the components in hole where the jack was. Since, I have an LX model, and I put the compressor in the left sliding door motor compartment. I have a diagram and other photos if anyone is interested.

Attachments

·
Registered
606 Posts
Good job, but wouldn't have been easier to fix the leak? :confused:

Do you also have a tank for the air? The guys on Truck-U did a F-350 install with bags and they used a big stainless tank and they could run air tools off it or blow up tires, etc. Do you have an outlet for the air? Seems like next step.:D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Clay, I didn't take any photos, but it's on the left side behind the sliding door, in the cavity under the middle window. The Air Lift pump draws power from the rear power socket controlled by a pressure switch and relay. The air pump runs only when the mini-van is in reverse, and only until the small "reservoir" gets up to 60 psi, in a few seconds. I've had the mod now for 4 years, and it's so nice not worrying about air bags. You can buy a commercial system from Air Lift, but I wanted to over engineer something with two levels of protection - mechanical and electrical. And it was fun. We carry the family in our vans.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Maybe an unrelated question but how is the ride quality with the airbags and why do you need them? Do you do a lot of towing or carry a lot of heavy stuff? Thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TE, two reasons for adding the air bags and controllers. 1. I have a 2-inch trailer hitch used to carry a large bike rack, for 4 bikes. With the family in the Odyssey, the hitch was scrapping on my driveway, and other driveways. Not a good thing for the hitch. I had to raise the rear an inch or two.

2. I also drive a Miata with an upgraded suspension to produce neutral handling, and I believe that is how cars ought to drive. The Odyssey just pushed too much in the corners, under-steered; and no amount of air pressure difference between the front and rear tires could correct this. Hence, I decided to stiffen the rear suspension with the air bags. The air pressure controller allowed me to fine tune the handling. Now there is less under-steer, still some. I also upgraded to Michelin 235/50 R 18 tires. The mini-van handling is now much more precise, and much less susceptible to side-winds. So, I "killed two birds with one stone".

My only regret was not adding the air bags and upgrading the tires sooner.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Clay, I didn't take any photos, but it's on the left side behind the sliding door, in the cavity under the middle window. The Air Lift pump draws power from the rear power socket controlled by a pressure switch and relay. The air pump runs only when the mini-van is in reverse, and only until the small "reservoir" gets up to 60 psi, in a few seconds. I've had the mod now for 4 years, and it's so nice not worrying about air bags. You can buy a commercial system from Air Lift, but I wanted to over engineer something with two levels of protection - mechanical and electrical. And it was fun. We carry the family in our vans.
Thanks for the info. I did order an Air Lift 1000 and heavy duty single-zone compressor kit so I'll be attempting an installation this weekend. I have a 2000 EX and not sure where I'll find room for the compressor but I think there may be room behind the passenger front bumper in the corner - basically underneath the washer fluid reservoir. I'll probably have to fabricate a custom bracket, but it would be protected from the elements there.

We'll see. Regardless, I want it outside of the cabin of the van, and protected from elements. I will document the install and post pictures.

This forum has dozens of air lift threads but I can't find any with pictures of installations.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Very nice setup and easy access. Did the jack work out ok in the wheel well? No rattling and bouncing around?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Our van sags constantly - I have 5 kids so when we go anywhere at all the van is fully loaded with 7 passengers and gear. We bottom out and the hitch receiver scrapes driveways. On camping trips we pull a 6x10 utility trailer with our gear in it.

The van has 200k miles and I'm sure the rear coil springs have never been replaced. I did the rear shocks last week and with the new shocks it now bounces in the rear several times when we hit bumps before it settles. I think that's an indication that the cool springs are blown. So I'm replacing them as well when I do the air bags.

·
Registered
26 Posts
FYI everyone - Air Lift has $50-100 mail in rebate on their systems right now. I bought my Air Lift 1000 and HD compressor online for $272 shipped, and so after rebate I'll have paid $222 for the single zone system with compressor and gauge. PM me if you want to know where I bought it.

·
Registered
7,318 Posts
Drifting here, but have to ask.

What type of Michelin tire are you running in 235/50-18, and what wheel did you choose for your 2001?

I'm running Pirelli Scorpion Verde 235/50-18 with an 18x7 wheel, 41mm offset on my 2003. It has transformed the handling of the van, coupled with the AirLift 1000's I installed a while ago, but the ride is rough on our locally terrible roads.

Still running Michelin Primacy 225/60-16 on our 2002; it too has AirLifts.

BTW, I miss my former ride, a Silver 2001EX. I felt the 1999-2001's handled noticeably better than the 2002-2004's. The spring rates felt a little firmer front and back, the shocks and struts had better rebound characteristics, and the 4-speed had perfect ratios for scooting around the city, which is 90%+ of my driving anyways.

Like others, I just keep 'em topped up, though the idea of just turning the regulator knob to get what you want is very appealing!

OF

·
Registered
662 Posts
MM, Thank You. Here is how mine looks with five people, trunk full of luggage, roof top box and three bikes. It did squat about an 1-1.5, other than that it handled pretty well on our 270 mile trip. Ody loaded.jpg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts