Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a set of Air Lifts 1000 in my 02 Odyssey this weekend and wanted to share my experience. There is a great article on the 2005 forum that I followed. He removed the bolt from the brake hub to let the suspension arm drop. That worked great although I expecting the spring to come out but appears you need spring compressors for that. The part that took the most was cutting the jounce bumper, the directions make it seem so easy but that was a bear. Maybe I used the wrong tool but it took me hours to cut the bumpers so they could be removed through the springs. If I had to do it again I would get some spring compressors, remove the springs and probably make my own spacer instead of cutting the bumper. Again quite possible I was using the wrong tool but they only thing I could get to work was metal cutting shears and it was awfully hard.

Also as for drilling the hole, I pretty missed or didn't align the template correctly. I had to drill a 1 1/8 to get my lifts to fit through the suspension. First I would use a small standard drill bit and then skip every other one until I got 1/4 inch. Then I used a step drilling bit. My first step bit was a cheapo from Harbor Freight, about $7 dollars. It worked on the first side but broke on the second. Then my second bit from Harbor Freight only last 3 minutes so I went to Home Depot. It was $30 but alittle from solid. I cut ok but not as good as I expected, maybe I was getting tired and not in the right angle. One thing that seemed to help was sort of lightly hammering the drill, pushing the bit into the hole and pulling out and trying again. That bit took me to 7/8 inch but the bags were binding. My other option was another Home Depot bit but it was $45 so back to Harbor Freight I went. They had a twin pack of bits that more solidly built then the first bit for $20. I wish I would have bought this bit from the beginning. It cut very nicely, one thing to consider is the scrap metal that flakes out as you drill. It is crazy hot and will burn you skin, probably best you wear long sleeves if you have to work under the car like I did.

Routing the air lines was sort of fun and nothing special about that. I just made sure that the lines had room to move and couldn't bind. I connected both lines to a single filling because I do not see filling separate.

Anyway, 10+ hours later I'm happy with the install. Going to be pulling the camper this weekend and will report how they work for me. I hope this helps anyone trying to do the install.

·
Registered
613 Posts
If you have one a "sawsall" type tool with a bimetal blade made for wood would have cut that in less than one minute, but not everyone has one of those laying around. They are handy however! Let us know how it works for everyday driving too, i'm curious, I guess I need to look at the thread you reference for my '06 and for more info.

·
Registered
154 Posts
For anyone else wanting to do this, the way to cut the jounce bumper is to use a dollar store steak knife, lube it with hand soap.

You will be done in just a few minutes. Cuts like butter.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
For anyone else wanting to do this, the way to cut the jounce bumper is to use a dollar store steak knife, lube it with hand soap.

You will be done in just a few minutes. Cuts like butter.
Yep, I think this is the route I went. Had it out in less than 10 mins although it was a workout for my hands. The Airlifts have been great for pulling my camper, a load of decking or full of kids/gear. I went with the dual Schraders behind the gas filler door.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not sire if I want laugh or cry, I wish I would have asked this question before my install. I tried a steak knife but didn't lube with hand soap, I spent hours trying to get the bumper out!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
QUick follow up, I have pulled the camper a couple times and the air bags are working great. The van sits alittle higher when we aren't pulling and doesn't sag with the camper hitched. We are very pleased with the install

·
Registered
115 Posts
I used a sawsall and it only took a few minutes. Drilling a hole in the bottom arm used up some hole bits, and I inserted some huge thick fender washers to shore up the gaping hole. I routed the air hoses to two shrader valves - but I think I should have routed the lines into one valve.

I use a mountain bike shock pump to check the air pressure - it has a short hose, so very little pressure is lost filling the pump and gauge. I've never had to add more than a squirt of of air, - nothing leaks.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Yep, I think the hardest part was drilling those holes in the suspension arm. That was a bit of a hack job for me. :D A step drill may have helped.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I used a sawsall and it only took a few minutes. Drilling a hole in the bottom arm used up some hole bits, and I inserted some huge thick fender washers to shore up the gaping hole. I routed the air hoses to two shrader valves - but I think I should have routed the lines into one valve.

Can someone help me out on the placement of the template as I find the directions somewhat vague and I want to stick with the 3/4 hole max if I can.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
It's been awhile since I put mine in. I think I looked at the template and where the bag itself would sit and fudged it. Sorry, that's probably not much for help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts