Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Odyssey EX. I'm interested in getting an Air Lift System because the trailer hitch tends to scrape on my driveway(simulated ski slope).
I saw the system that some of you put on your vans, by Air Lift, and it seems interesting.
Does anyone know any places in the SF/Bay Area that sell and install the units?
Have there been any problems with them?
I would want the kind that is adjustable.
Thanks for the help.

·
1,484 Posts
Well I tried The Airlifts Dealership Search Engine but I can't seem to find any local Bay Area dealers. You might wanna give them a call at 1-800-248-0892, ext. 1

I was the one who posted all the info about the Airlifts on the Ody. With the instructions they provided us, WE (2 people) were able to install the Airlifts ourselves. Not sure what else I could tell you but would be happy answer any of your questions.

-Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Registered
564 Posts
Yikes. They search on area code for my "location." My area code happens to cover about 1/2 of the state of CA

- Darell

------------------

·
Registered
47 Posts
I also looked for a dealer in the LA area to install the AirLifts in our 01 EX, but didn't find anyone who worked on an Ody. So my brother and I tackled the job together. The hardest part was drilling the large holes for the Airlift valve stems to come out in the bottom of the coil sping support plate. Its 1/8" thick steel. Used drill bits and a Dremmel grind stone to smooth out the hole so it wouldn't cut the "balloon" Airlifts. Next most difficult was to cut the jounce bumper (but the trick is to use a large blade knife and grease it with softsoap). It cut like hard butter - quite easily. If you don't use soap, you have to saw it and that was painful.

I kept both sides independent with the air lines, so I can adjust each side independently. But the recommendation is to keep them about the same. You can add an electric pump with driver seat control if you like. There is lots of space under the car, huge open rails to place the pump. For now, I manually check the pressure and pump them up.

In actual use, they work great. For the most part they don't leak. One one long heavy load trip they did seem to lose a couple pounds each, but I've been quite happy. No more bounce, bounce, bounce with heavy loads. No more scraping (see my posted photos and discussions with the Yakima bike rack. They can keep the ride level and are not too much stiffer in the 5 - 15psi range. Can go up to 35psi. I have lots of photos of the installation, but haven't had time to post them on-line yet. Hope this helps.

------------------
2001 Ody EX Navi GG + Infinity speakers, trailer hitch, Yakima bike rack, AirLifts, cross bars, mod sliding doors, outside/inside thermometer
2000 Acura TL Navi Gold + Comptech sway bars, metallic tints, Infinity speakers

·
1,484 Posts
Yes, VTEClover is right about those 2 being the most difficult parts of the installation.

When I had my rear springs replaced w/ the H&Rs I noticed by removing the springs and lowering the control arm (which is easy to do, BTW) that you would have a much easier time with the drilling and cutting. The only downside is you would HAVE to get you wheels realigned because you removed the springs. But it would make it much easier.

-Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
Central 4WD has the Air Lift kit for $68.91.

What prices have you guys seen?

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX w/stuff
'93 Nissan Sentra SE-R with more stuff

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the all the information.

Air Lift responded to my question by saying that they haven't checked out the 2002 yet and will not recommend anything until they do.

I have talk to an outfit in Indiana and they are working on a solution with Firestone Airbags. I will let everyone know what they come up with.

One thing, do any of these modifications alter or void the manufacturer's warranty? Before I do anything I guess I should find out.

Tom Z.

·
1,484 Posts
I've heard of the Firestone Airbags before but I was too worried about them being "Firestone". We can only hope they make better bags than they do tires.

For the warranty - maybe read up on this:

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Performance/warranty.htm

From my understanding - if Honda can prove that the aftermarket modification was the complete cause of their products failure then they have the right to void that part of the warranty. But if it was partially to blame or they can't prove it then Honda has to cover some (if not all) the repair costs.

-Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jim F:
Central 4WD has the Air Lift kit for $68.91.
</font>
Ground Shipping is $10.95

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX w/stuff
'93 Nissan Sentra SE-R with more stuff

1 - 10 of 10 Posts