Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Need to add air springs to 2010 Odyssey to avoid bottoming out when towing pop-up tent trailer with a 4 bike swagman rack in the middle. Not sure if I'm close to 350 Lbs. tongue weight but van sure sags with both attached. Need this to help level out trailer and gain some height at tow bar. Looking online I found two different brands that state air compressor not included. Being a novice to air suspension I'm not sure where to order the compressor and if I really need one. If so does anyone know where to order one and how much they are?

Thanks in advance,
STC11

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
Hi All,

Need to add air springs to 2010 Odyssey to avoid bottoming out when towing pop-up tent trailer with a 4 bike swagman rack in the middle. Not sure if I'm close to 350 Lbs. tongue weight but van sure sags with both attached. Need this to help level out trailer and gain some height at tow bar. Looking online I found two different brands that state air compressor not included. Being a novice to air suspension I'm not sure where to order the compressor and if I really need one. If so does anyone know where to order one and how much they are?

Thanks in advance,
STC11
What you need is a set of Air-Lift brand air bags for your rear springs. A set of these cost in the $100 range (without compressor, which you do not need) and installation is pretty easy if you are handy with tools. Otherwise, you will be able to find an installer fairly easily and the cost should not be oppressive. By all means, stick with the Air-Lift brand, since they have the best sealing of the air lines and they will give you many years of trouble-free service. An added bonus will be enhanced handling of the van under ALL conditions if you keep 25-30 psi in them. There is also a wealth of installation info on this site if you do a search. Good luck!:coolio:

·
Registered
174 Posts
+1 on the Air-Lift brand.

You can go all-out with on board compressors and vehicle body sensors to automatically inflate the bags to a height determined by you. These systems work in the same manner load levelers do on luxury cars, trucks & SUV's.

Or, you can do as mentioned above, and have a schrader valve (just like a valve stem on your tire) and pump them up when needed using an air compressor at a gas station, etc. If you don't tow often, the latter makes the most sense.

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
You can use the hose at the service station for inflation, but I recommend against it, since this is such a small volume system that one can easily blow it apart. A hand pump is the safest way to inflate and it takes very few strokes to reach operating pressure.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Good point, I should've clarified I was speaking about the $.50 buzz boxes at most gas stations now, not a 150 psi pneumatic hose used at repair shops for air guns, right angle die grinders, impact chisels, etc.

But nonetheless, yes, you could blow the bellows quickly with a high pressure line like those.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks for the responses. Ordered the air lift brand air bags today.
I've been hunting for a Canadian supplier for these but haven't had much luck other than a local muffler shop that wants to charge high margins and takes two/three weeks to bring them in. :(

·
Registered
407 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
I've been hunting for a Canadian supplier for these but haven't had much luck other than a local muffler shop that wants to charge high margins and takes two/three weeks to bring them in. :(

Have you tried Amzon.com?

·
Registered
53 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts