Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran into this problem recently and felt I should post the info for anyone else who needs to know how to diagnose the problem when you get the airbag dash light coming on.

Basically, you can short pin 4 to pin 9 on the OBDII data link connector. Once you short these, then turn on the ignition and count the # of light flashes. There will be some long flashes followed by short flashes. My code was a 9-2 so there were 9 slow flashes and 2 quick flashes.
I think my battery is getting low.
The other common problem is the bad seat belt buckle, code 9-3.

Here is a guide on how to do it and the code reference chart:
DIY: SRS Codes and reading them. - Club RSX Message Board

·
Registered
91 Posts
just what I needed today! thx. is this the RED dash indicator: the little guy with the seatbelt across him and the airbag circle? on the dash panel itself? mine has been coming on ocassionally.

I know there was a recall on the switch somewhere I think in the bumper but mine was done long ago at the dealer.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Does this pin 4-9 jumper method also work for Gen3 Ody? (2005-2010)? I couldnt find the procedure in my 2005 full service manual. And the DTC code list starts with 11-x numbers. Not 9-x or lower in the chart I see. Of course, the manual mostly says use the HDS which of course I dont have.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I was able to resolve my 9-3 code by unplugging the plug under the driver's seat and spraying it liberally with DeoxIT and also blowing out the seatbelt latch and spraying it with DeoxIT.

·
Registered
91 Posts
SRS codes read and I checked several times. looks like I have two:
6-1
9-2

I didn't see anything for 6-1

SRS light is intermittent.

checked battery (less than yr old battery) was 12.45v after sitting all night.
also had a code or display on the odometer during the check that read:
61080 11

·
Registered
91 Posts
follow-up: finally had it checked at the dealer while in for the brake master seal recall. they said it was the seatbelt switch issue. fine. all free under life warr. they have been seeing many of them. car has about 82k miles. we'll see. I hope that did it.

so...time will tell. the 9-2 code I read is not listed as the seat belt but in my shop manual the codes on the link did not match my shop manual. and I found no reference to a 6-1. but...they did try to sell me a battery! but they did NOT say the "weak" battery was causing the SRS warning. my battery is only 7 months old and I've had no problems starting the car. they also tried to sell me air and cabin filters so I think they were just looking for stuff to upsell. SNAKES! initially she used the word DEAD battery. when I said it's brands new and we've had no problems with it she backed way off saying it was getting a little weak. WOW! talk about BS!

if the SRS comes back on at least if it wasnt really the seatbelt I have some leverage on them saying not doing a proper diag and wasting my wife and children's time all morning. this is a new dealership. I was hoping for better than the others. thinking maybe their CS would be awesome at first to build their reputation. oh well. trying to sell me a battery and air filters is not building a good rep with me.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Had the same problem, intermittently. I kept charging the battery to see if it go away but it turned out not related. Finally brought it to the dealer and they fixed the seatbelt for free.

·
Registered
11 Posts
i have 6-1 code too. is it driver seat belt buckle or passenger side? is honda fixing it free cuz you guys have extended warranty?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Scottn3,

thanx. i will bring my odyssey in the dealership soon. Seem like seat belt buckle is big problem with honda. code 6-1 drove me nutz cuz i could not find anything on it.

thanks again.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello all. I was at the stealership today for the srs light on my 1997 Ody. While waiting, an older woman was in for an oil change on here 2007 Ody. They came into the waiting area with the cabin filter in hand. They told her how dirty it was and that she had to breath that filth every time she was in the car. But not to worry cause they could change it for only $92! She rightfully declined and called her husband for advise. He also told her not to do it. The service writer went back out to the shop and she went to the parts counter to ask the cost of the filter. They told her it was $32! So they were gonna charge her $60 dollars to install it! Crooks! I had my iPad so I looked up the filter at AutoZone and it was $15. A minute later the service writer returns and says the parts guy told him she checked the price and that they would install it for free now. Let me tell ya, my confidence in that place went right in the toilet.

Anyways, the stealership tells me my SRS module is bad and that it is $700 to replace it. I tell them no and I leave $100 poorer for the experience. I got home and searched here on how to pull codes.
Here is my question... I am also checking out an ABS problem (shocker right) and I pulled the codes with a code key and the two pin blue service connector under the glove box. I noticed while doing so that the SRS light also flashed out 9 slow flashes and 2 quick flashes. Can you pull both ABS & SRS codes from the same blue two pin connector? If so, what is a 92 SRS code?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I finally cleared the SRS code via the MES and the light is gone! :DD
For now anyways… we'll see how long it last. Other than that I am going to clean my corroded battery terminals and spray them with terminal dressing. I also asked the dealer today why they didn't clear the SRS code I paid them to diagnose and he told me that you cannot clear an SRS code. I them proceeded to let him know that I had in fact cleared to which he replied that it would just return. Maybe he's right, but, but maybe he wrong. I'm betting on the latter. Either way this dealer is just full of lies. Guess I'll be marking another dealer of my list.

·
Registered
149 Posts
This thread, along with the referenced link in OP's first post, helped me out greatly.
Had my 05 Touring at the dealer in December to check out my air bag light. A $65 diagnostic fee and an hour later and the service manager tells me I need a $1500 harness and 8 hours to install it. Supposedly the van's harness was bad and they're not allowed to repair it due to liability reasons. OK, I'll buy that.
BUT
I used this thread and references and pulled the codes myself to verify. (Yes, I should've done that initially.)
I got 3 codes related to the drivers seat belt so I followed the harness down and, lo and behold, I found a broken wire. Bad part is that the wire was on the seat belt side which is free lifetime replacement NOT on the van side.
Fixed it myself and it everything's well.
Hendricks Honda in Easley, SC can bite me. :tongue:

·
Registered
33 Posts
As a 10 yr ex "Stealership" Technician, let me clue you people in on a couple of things.
First. The adviser, the technician, the svc mgr, the parts guy and all the other people you encounter DO NOT set the price or cost/profit margins for the items you buy or have serviced. The corporate ownership or private owner/managment set the Labor Rate and markup for EVERYTHING at the dealer.
Second. The labor times are established by a national standards group (usually "Mitchell Labor Guide") and the times are constantly being adjusted by Brand Standards groups employed by the manufacturer. The usual labor for a pollen filter is .5 to .8 hr. if your dealer charges $109/hr labor (typical cost btw) (Porsche and Audi is $139/hr. Aren't you happy you drive Honda??) the math says that is 54.50 - 87.20 cost to you. See?
Third. Yes it is a 15 dollar filter. That filter at the AZ you spoke of is by and large crap, and cheap paper. No HEPA or any allergen filtration. There ARE quality filters sold at AZ and Pep Boys and Advance but they are more money and they would rather sell you the crap one, as it has a higher markup, makes them more money, and probably is on special, which means the parts guy gets a bonus for moving numbers of product.
Fourth. The Technician here makes usually at Asian dealers a rough 15 - 18 dollars an hour. Not much more. So that .8 they charge you? He gets at most 14 bucks. trust me he did not take that filter out to show you. That means if you decline he has to put it back (or not if he's shady) and just did the job for free. I guarantee that filter was one he had stored in the cart in the bay for show to the nice old ladies.
You are in Florida so I'm gonna tell you this. As a Technician and a Ody owner among other imports also, you need a pollen filter yearly. We have humidity, dust, salty air, pollen, bloom and all kinds of bugs that get into the A/C duct work. (See pic below for a recent Porsche intruder) The engine air filter at most is a 2 yr interval but never more than 20k miles.
The battery thing. ok this is difficult for most people who have never owned a Europen car in the last 15 yrs but have bought a less than 5 yr old Asian car. ALLLLL new cars have many, and I mean MAAAANY modules that require what is known as reference voltage to perform basic functions and calculations and maintain communication with all the other modules in the car. ABS is Traction control and stabilty control using input from the steering module and the wheel speed sensors and the height sensors in the suspension to calculate load and the sealbelt switches in Airbag module to determine number of occupants and to torque signal in the transmission module to determine engine load vs. vehicle speed to determine trunk and cargo load so it can help the stupid driver drinking a coke with his ipod headphones on or the woman applying makeup steer around the debris in the road and save the lives of the 4 kids in the car. If the adviser says you need a battery ask for the tester printout and if they can show it to you you better buy the damn battery. Just because your car starts in the morning doesn't mean your battery is holding up under heat and traffic and all the toys, accessories, and chimes load we have in these cars. These are not classic Chevy's people.
There is so much going on in your car you have no freaking idea.
Oh 1 more thing. If they don't tell you about the potential failure of your battery and your ABS fails due to voltage nonavailability and shuts down, so you hit me and my lawyer asks for the maintenance records on your car... Guess who gets sued?? The dealer, the technician, the adviser, and you. I've witnessed the investigations, and loss of jobs of techs on my team. Don't tell me it can't happen.
Not everyone is out to screw you. Some techs are bad some dealers are too. I guess it's just a tossup.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts