Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
As I mentioned in an earlier post, the 02 models did NOT have decelleration sensors for the airbags. They only have crush switches in the bumper. In an offset crash you can mangle the bumper without crushing the switch. That is why only the 02 models had that type of sensor. All other second gen Ody's have the decelleration type sensors because they were more accurate in determining if the airbags were needed.

Most insurance carriers will total a car in the USA if the cost for repair exceeds around 70% of the WHOLESALE value of the vehicle.

The KBB wholesale value of an average 02 EX is around $10,400 USD. 70% of that is $7,280 so any repair costing over that amount would be a total. The actual percentage depends on the insurance carrier and here in California that number is between 55 to 75%

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Update:
Adjuster have a repair cost total to Cdn$16K5 but suggested to have it written off as they may still have to put few K more into it during repair (surprises...). They have suggested a replacement value of CDN$26K (tax included).
The main comment is also based on the twisted frame may be troublesome.

One important comment is the airbags should have been deployed. The charge in the seatbelt system did fired to pull me and the passenger back at the time of collision...I recalled the smelly white smoke inside the van. The triggerring system for the seatbelt retraction and the airbags is kind of linked and the airbag should have been deployedThat may be the reason why I have a class II whiplash.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Canadian versions are outside of NTSB jurisdiction. They are also different from USA versions.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Sorry to hear that, very glad everyone is OK...

I suggest:

(a) take the write off (total the car), and get yourself a new car - the repairs are not worth, and your car will NEVER drive like before;

(b) send these pictures (and if you can take some more pics of the interior) to the Honda - as an FYI that air bags did not deploy and you and your family were lucky to walk away... Let'em start worrying !

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Just come back from cleanning out my EX, took some pictures and discussed with the dealer.

They believed the sensor was defective. They have mentioned Honda has recalled Accords for airbag sensor due to rusting. (Canadian winter with road salt).

Here're the photos:

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
We just had a very similar incident with our 2002 EX-L … on Thanksgiving on the way to Grandma’s house … sweet potatoes all over the van. Some lady ran a red light and hit us @45mph as we started moving when our light turned green. We had impact in about the same place you did front-right) and were also pinned against a Suburban on our left side. Crunch but no airbags deployed! About $10 in damage to our Ody says the ins adjuster. No total (yet). Unfortunately the other driver had the minimum insurance 10/10 so we are “discussing” our situation with our insurer. Actually found (again) quite a bevy of info here at ODYCLUB. What a pain. :confused:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Your own insurance should cover the balance. That is the reason we pay "Uninsured" and "Underinsured" premiums in the policy (at least here in PA we do).

·
Registered
718 Posts
deppiz said:
Here's the photo !
Holy S***! I'm glad you only had minor injuries, as I read your post I tried to visualize the damage, but not till I saw the picture, Pheww! Make sure you see a doctor. sometimes injuries are slow manifest. Take care.

AJ

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes, but that only pays for repairs ... we still have the diminution of value (due to the wreck) and other non-reimbursable expenses to deal with. According to OUR insurance company the UM coverage is only for bodily injury claims not property damage. Fla is a no-fault state so I guess that creates strange situations (where we get the shaft).

21 - 34 of 34 Posts