Honda Odyssey Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
The seller is listed as autopartssupplygroup. This item had only 2 left when I ordered it. Their other items show their rating, and many positive reviews. Not sure why this kit only has one review. Also, I chatted with Amazon and asked about their reputation and they said it was good. I will call them tomorrow. I appreciate the heads up from you however.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Remember...do it right, do it once. Fake Counterfeit Honda Timing Belt Water Pump Kit on...

·
Registered
2012 EXL. 2013 Touring
407 Posts
The TKH002 fits many other years of Odysseys and many other J series engines.
I searched NAPA online and they carry the Aisin TKH002 in stock with free shipping. They will try to direct you to the NAPA brand kit, but they do stock the Aisin one. I have always had good experiences with NAPA, but I can not guarantee they would not be victims of the counterfeit brands.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
1,766 Posts
If you're in a hurry to get the belt changed, it might also be a good idea to get another reputable brand's kit (nobody shoot me for saying this, but perhaps Dayco, or Gates, or Continental - but then also buy an OEM water pump to go along with it). Whatever you do, don't use a water pump that is anything other than a Yamada (OEM) or Aisin brand. But most of the other brands have decent belts and other hardware.

It would probably be a good idea to just use all OEM parts if the Aisin kit is not available, but replacing all the associated components (including the pulleys, tensioner, etc) makes it ridiculously expensive IMO.

Reactions: dbier

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Two approaches, assuming you can wait a week or two:
Order from CarID
Do a p/n search at Rockauto. When you do that, it will show out of stock, and offer to notify you when back in stock. Do that, and order promptly when you are notified. They have been in/out at Rock for months. Rock stocks nothing, but uses a number of third party parts warehouses to drop ship, so different ones can get them at different times.

Reactions: dbier and oldskewel

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well, thank you for the heads up and the redirect to the photos. Very helpful. I just received the kit from Amazon, and I inspected each part and compared it to those photos. Thankfully, they match the Genuine photos provided. The water pump in the referred link was a Honda water pump, however, the water pump in the “kit” I ordered is an Aisin. The tensioner has the blue Aisin stamp unlike the “fake” one, the seals in the Honda bags have the QR code on them, again unlike the fakes. The Honda timing belt measures up also with the appropriate green ink and white reinforcement fiber. The Bando serpentine belt is also genuine. I think I’m good. I also spotted two Koyo hologram stickers on both Koyo boxes with “Koyo” tape to seal the boxes.

Thank you for alerting me to the possibility of counterfeit products. I wish they would come up with a way of guaranteeing that counterfeits stay out of the market, but….

2013 Odyssey EX-L

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I wish they would come up with a way of guaranteeing that counterfeits stay out of the market, but….
"They" have an interest in keeping happy the country that is the source of virtually all counterfeits.
"We" can avoid counterfeits by purchasing from sellers who support supply chain integrity.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have done over dozen timing belt kit jobs and I have ordered through Amazon many times. I have been burned ordering fake spark plugs once on Amazon from 3rd party which damaged knock sensor and cat converters. There is no reputable 3rd party vendor. If you are going to use Amazon, at least make sure it’s sold by Amazon. eBay? Forget about it! My last job, purchased duralast / dayco kit from autozone as aisin not available online. It seemed ok, same mitsuboshi? Belt but water pump did look low quality judging by casting finish. Side by side comparison after removing original. Bottom line, if you are going to purchase any critical auto part from Amazon, make sure it’s SOLD by Amazon. Not 100% foolproof but give yourself a chance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
One of the easier tip-offs to faked "OEM Honda timing belt kits" is the inclusion of a water pump. The prescribed timing belt service from Honda does not specify changing the water pump - Honda would never include it in any kit they actually put together themselves because they consider it unnecessary. Knowledgeable owners and mechanics change the water pump because they've learned its a good idea the hard way, not because Honda says to do it.

If you've actually ordered that kit, cancel your order quickly. That thing is overwhelmingly likely to be a piece of crap and shouldn't go near your engine. If you've already received it, send it back.
Make sure you leave a review on the site saying this stuff ain’t legit.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Autozone and Napa have the Aisin kit in stock, I wouldn't be concerned about counterfeits from those two places.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Buy Honda parts from a Honda dealer is another option. Hondaautomotiveparts.com is a good one that I use a lot.

I would only buy Aisin from Rockauto, Napa, Advance, OReillys. Amazon is full of knockoff parts. I personally wouldnt even buy Aisin sold/fulfilled by Amazon. Too many chances to get knockoffs mixed in with genuine.

Spark plugs are sketchy too. Tried buying them from Rockauto and they had had some arrived damaged twice (some had antisieze paste on them - some jerk returned them…). …. I settled for buying them from the Advance or Oriellys store counter.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Two follow-up questions: 1) Does the MM pop-up a reminder for the timing belt / water pump change at around 105,000 miles? 2) When getting quotes to decide if I want to do it myself - one shop suggested changing the spark plugs was appropriate at the same time (just based on mileage and saving me a later visit - not that the spark plugs had anything to do with the timing belt job). Is that true - or will the MM tell me when to change the spark plugs?

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
You do realize that your OM/Warranty document the codes that will appear and the services called for by the codes..........

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
1,766 Posts
Two follow-up questions: 1) Does the MM pop-up a reminder for the timing belt / water pump change at around 105,000 miles? 2) When getting quotes to decide if I want to do it myself - one shop suggested changing the spark plugs was appropriate at the same time (just based on mileage and saving me a later visit - not that the spark plugs had anything to do with the timing belt job). Is that true - or will the MM tell me when to change the spark plugs?
1 - I believe so, but I don't like relying on the maintenance minder. It doesn't take into account other conditions (i.e. someone in a hot/dry climate like Arizona might want to consider changing the belt "early" before 105K miles if 7-8 years have passed, whereas someone who drives 30K highway miles a year might consider pushing the timing belt change to 120K or 130K miles). But yes, a code reminding you of this service should show up at some point. The car won't know if you did it early, so you can just ignore it when it does come up.

2 - The MM will likely tell you to do the spark plugs at the same time as the timing belt (it might even be one code that calls for both timing belt job and spark plugs). Yeah, it's probably a good idea to get them done together if you're not planning on doing them yourself. I believe there's one particular method for replacing the timing belt that actually involves removing the spark plugs to reduce resistance. When I had my timing belt job done (at 82K), I asked my mechanic whether there was any shared labor in doing the spark plugs at the same time, and he said no, so I guess he did the timing belt a different way. Since plugs weren't due yet and there was no shared labor, I just had him do the timing belt job. I ended up replacing the spark plugs myself a little while later at 84K when the pandemic first hit and I started working from home.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
You do realize that your OM/Warranty document the codes that will appear and the services called for by the codes..........
Sorry - the van and OM is back home and I'm out of town for a week.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Available online at Honda website, to view or download. Much easier to find stuff with CTRL-F. Stickies at top of the forum point the way.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
1,955 Posts
1) Does the MM pop-up a reminder for the timing belt / water pump change at around 105,000 miles?
Code "4" is the timing belt, water pump, spark plugs and inspect valves code. Most also do the timing belt tensioner, water pump and idler pullies at the same time, but ignore the valve clearance inspection until ~150k miles.

-Charlie

·
Registered
463 Posts
Absolutely do the spark plugs at the same time as the timing belt because yes you want to remove them when you do the timing belt. The plugs on the firewall side are easy if you have 2 3" extensions BTW. Somewhere on this site, might be in the 3rd gen forum, someone did a step by step tutorial with pics. I printed it its 36 pages and pure gold, made me much more confident. Get yourself a paint pen and absolutely put marks on the belt, the cam wheels, and the block. Transfer the marks to your new belt and theres no way you can screw this up.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts