Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it would be interesting to begin noting here which plant future Odys are coming from. New owners can simply look at the VIN to determine country of origin. The first number shows which country the van was made in- 1 US, 2 Canada.

It would help us to determine if there is truly a difference in quality between the two plants.

If new owners would make a note of the VIN designation when telling the rest of us of their new acquisition and making note of that when complaining or bragging about their new Odyssey I think it would be beneficial. Besides I am still waiting for my '02 (now due in Jan I was told over the weekend) and hopefully will give me peace of mind about it making no difference where my new Ody comes from.

------------------
Mike Lowary
'00 traded-in
'02 ordered

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just picked up mine last week and it had a November build date from Canada. BTW, I bought mine from Schlossman's Honda City in Milwaukee which seems to get a lot of Ody's in. When I was there last week, they had 5 or 6 of them on their lot, 2 unclaimed and more coming. If you don't want to wait, I'd call Mike Shleiss or Tom Ziglanski NOW. It's only a 3 or 4 hour drive from you and they're a good dealer to work with. You'll for sure get an Odyssey from them within 2 weeks. I called for the first time on a Tuesday, and was driving home in my new Ody the following Thursday. Tell them Jason from Appleton sent you.

------
Jason Molter
'02 Odyssey SS EX
'99 CR-V Blue EX

[This message has been edited by jasoninwi (edited 12-03-2001).]

·
Registered
3 Posts
We just purchased our RRP EX Ody from a dealer just outside of Birmingham Alabama. The dealer had received the van a few days prior. It has a 2* VIN - manufactured in Ontario. I was surprised since I expected the new ones from Lincoln to start showing up at the nearby dealers.

As a side note, we are very pleased with our purchase. As a former Explorer owner with kids, I don't know why it took so long to get over the minivan stigma. I'll post a good dealer story on that thread.....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Van shipped today, arrive 13-14th. SS EX-L RES made in Canada.

VIN confirms this.

------------------
'02 SS EXLRES on order
'91 Accord Wagon EX
'98 Lawnmower

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hello everyone,

I just got back from ordering a new Ody from a dealership in Alexandria, VA. I had a brief discussion with someone at the dealership who claims that despite what I may have read on some "internet website", the Alabama plant is *not* currently producing any Odysseys yet. I don't know how to confirm this, but I thought I would pass it along as another tidbit of info.

------------------

·
Registered
59 Posts
We got our '02 GG Ody in one week (customer cancelled and my friend let me get it). We love it! When the dealer, or you, pulls the factory invoice off, save it. It gives location of manufacturer, shipping points, VIN, etc. Our dealer stuck it in the glove box and I happened to look at it. Got some good info on it. Happy trails!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Received SS EX-L RES on Thursday Jan 10th. Had put deposit down 11/17. Van built in Canada plant 1/2/02 - shipped 1/3/01. Arrived SLC the 10th. Paint is great - no problems found yet and I have looked in every light. Tracks straight and true, no pulling. Very quiet - no wind noise. Transmission is surprizingly smooth, nice 1-2 shift. Impressive power. Haven't heard gas tank slosh, but registered empty w/7 gallons in tank. DVD has very good picture - NO dead pixels. Wife and kids quite pleased.

------------------
'02 SS EXLRES on order
'91 Accord Wagon EX
'98 Lawnmower

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here's an interesting tidbit: you can't get the RES option in Canada, even though the vans are built here! I'm guessing it has to do with some sort of Transport Canada approval that is not yet complete. Maybe by the time the Alabama plant is up and running we will be able to get them here!

·
Registered
24 Posts
we can't even get the NAV system in Canada yet though the vans are assembled only 1hr away from my home!

LOL, assembled only 1hr away and yet the US folks are lucky b/c they get the NAV and the RES.

Only advantage we have is we can buy our Odysseys a bit cheaper than you guys in the US ;-)

·
Registered
596 Posts
Maybe the silly Canadian government wants y'all to concentrate on your driving, instead of worrying about NAV and VIDEO!

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just received the VIN for our Ody today. The salesman mentioned that for now, all leather, RES and NAV Odysseys are built in Canada. He didn't know when these vans would be built in the US. Thought it was interesting....

David

·
Registered
21 Posts
The info below was copied from a post by ody2002 in another forum on 09/27/2001 and I believe it is accurate after having checked VIN numbers at a local Honda dealer:

Here's how to read your 2002 Odyssey VIN:

Position 1~3 =
5FN: US Honda, multi-purpose passenger vehicle
2HK: Canada Honda, multi-purpose passenger vehicle

Position 4~6 =
RL1: Odyssey

Position 7 =
8: 5 door

Position 8 =
0: EXL-RES
5: LX
6: EX