Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Proud owner of 2002 GG-LX loving it! Can't wait to turn in off lease 97 Grand Caravan on 11/15. Need to use up last 500 miles on lease. Here is an article I saw on the Alabama production.
Honda geared for first production at new plant


LINCOLN, November 5 -- As Honda prepares this month for starting production at its new $440 million plant in Talladega County, industry watchers are anticipating an expansion of the complex that will produce the Odyssey minivan.



Honda officials in Alabama, Ohio, Canada and Japan have had November 14th circled on their calendars as the target date to make the first showroom-ready minivan.
About 50 Odysseys have been built in Lincoln, but those vehicles were made to give workers practice and to calibrate and test the factory's manufacturing procedures and equipment.

Honda officials won't comment on future expansions.

Honda's Alabama home boasts state-of-the art robotics and is billed as the most flexible auto plant in North America. If demand for the Odyssey goes down, the Lincoln plant will be able to switch from making minivans to something else in a matter of weeks.

Honda plans to build up the inventory in Lincoln before the first vehicles get shipped out, mostly to dealerships in the Southeast.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
I was concerned that my Ody may be one of the first ones coming out of a new plant, just because I know there will be some startup pains.

After reading this briefing though, I started looking at the bright side. The Lincoln plant will be the most modern plant that Honda has. The new manufacturing robots can align and weld panels a lot more accurately than humans (I know, I've run a weld shop with robotic welders).

It looks like they are starting up the plant the right way with "training" vehicles. It will be interesting to see how well these "new" Odys turn out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by odyman:
I was concerned that my Ody may be one of the first ones coming out of a new plant, just because I know there will be some startup pains.

After reading this briefing though, I started looking at the bright side. The Lincoln plant will be the most modern plant that Honda has. The new manufacturing robots can align and weld panels a lot more accurately than humans (I know, I've run a weld shop with robotic welders).

It looks like they are starting up the plant the right way with "training" vehicles. It will be interesting to see how well these "new" Odys turn out.
</font>
The first owners of Alabama vehicles will have quite a club over Honda's head if they encounter any problems...

I would expect that Quality Assurance will be extremely active in the first few months, keeping the quality high.

Regards,

------------------
Maugham

"I plan to live forever. So far, so good"
'02 RP EXL
'85 Prelude
'01 Ninja folding aluminum scooter
'00 New Balance Model 658 Shoes w/ Green Grass stains and '01 White Laces w/ Frayed Tips
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
207 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Maugham:
I would expect that Quality Assurance will be extremely active in the first few months, keeping the quality high.
</font>
I think that will be the case. So much so, in fact, that rather than being concerned about getting one of the first to roll off the AL plant, I'm a little paranoid about getting one of the **last** to roll off the Ontario plant.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
171 Posts
The Ontario plant isn't going to stop production of the Ody, so Homer, there won't be a *last* Ody from there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
205 Posts
So they have produced 50 test Odysseys at the Alabama plant, before they start formal production. Amazing - I wonder what they do with them all - sell them? scrap them?, part them out?


------------------
Richard
2002 Granite Green EX-L
Splash Guards, Cargo Tray, Weathertech Mats

[This message has been edited by pearsonrj (edited 11-06-2001).]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
301 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by pearsonrj:
So they have produced 50 test Odysseys at the Alabama plant, before they start formal production. Amazing - I wonder what they do with them all - sell them? scrap them?, part them out?

</font>
No they store them until Tomhan orders another one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
207 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Canodyssey:
No they store them until Tomhan orders another one.
</font>
Hopefully, in RRP!



[This message has been edited by Homer (edited 11-06-2001).]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
261 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by pearsonrj:
So they have produced 50 test Odysseys at the Alabama plant, before they start formal production. Amazing - I wonder what they do with them all - sell them? scrap them?, part them out?

</font>
quoted from this article.....

"Offsets and write-offs

A second crash test demonstration features a Honda Civic crashing head-on at a 10-percent offset into an Acura RL. Both these cars are old road test cars from California that have to be destroyed at the end of their life. As the cars approach each other at 50 kph, for a closing speed of 100 kph (62.5 mph), the tension rises. There’s a large bang and a split second later the.........."


------------------


[This message has been edited by abyez (edited 11-07-2001).]
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top