Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm moving some posts from the General forum to here so they don't get lost.

------------------
Admin

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Posted by MarioB
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nemogira:
... So, tell me more about these gadgets. What do they do exactly?

nemogira
</font>
Autotoys description, "...This unit can also be used to add IGNITION CONTROL DOORLOCKS to your car (unlock and lock your doors automatically when you turn off and on your car, no alarm system needed)"

This gadget will give your Odyssey the autolock feature. For $15, its not bad at all. I believe the same thing sells at AutoLoc for $20.

warrenh - can you tell us how you hook up yours and where you installed it. Maybe you can start a new thread discussion at Aftermarket Acessories forum.
Thanks for any info you can provide.

------------------
MarioB
'01 DEP EX

[This message has been edited by MarioB (edited 06-02-2001).]

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Posted by abyez

I think I am interested in the AUTO-lock feature but NOT the auto-UN-lock feature. Is there any other gadgets out there that fits my description?

------------------

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Posted by Rook

Abyez,
This DEI module will do the autolocking for you and if you don't want it to autounlock, you just don't connect the negative trigger wire to anything.
The module has 9 wires but you'll only have to wire 5 of them.
Autotoys has a photo in their Odyssey alarm install section that will show you where the door lock and unlock wires are located. The green module wire gets connected to Honda's black/white (lock) wire. Blue module wire connects to Honda's green/red (unlock) wire.
You can get the constant power and ignition signal from Honda's ignition harness that leads to the ignition key switch near the steering column. You'll have to cut through the thick plastic insulation that protects several wires. These are thick high current wires so you'll want to have a way to tap into them without cutting them all the way through. I usually strip some of the insulation and push it aside and solder to the exposed copper wire.
Red module wire goes to the Honda's white 12V wire. Be careful, this wire is "hot" if you don't disconnect the battery wire. Have your radio code handy if you do disconnect the battery.
The module's Violet(+) activation input goes to Honda's ignition signal wire. There are two choices. Ignition-black/yellow or the secondary ignition-yellow. The black/yellow will lock the doors at the first turn/position of they ignition key while the yellow wire triggers the locks at the second position. Using the former will let your doors lock while you turn the key to listen to the radio or other accessory.
The black wire of the module is just ground, ground it. I think this description is correct. Please do some research yourselves in case I made a mistake. I don't want see someone starting a thread about Odyessey fires.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Wow! Rook thats a thorough one. I'll still do my homework though, thanks for replying a good one.

BTW, what is the IGNITION CONTROL DOORLOCKS product/part number???

------------------

·
Registered
261 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by abyez:
Wow! Rook thats a thorough one. I'll still do my homework though, thanks for replying a good one.

BTW, what is the IGNITION CONTROL DOORLOCKS product/part number???

</font>
Oops sorry I found it.

One more question :
How does the IGNITION CONTROL DOORLOCKS work?
a) does it lock only when the car is starting to move for a while w/ (all doors closed)
or
b) does it lock whenever the ignition has just been started w/ (all doors closed)

thanks in advance

------------------

·
Registered
148 Posts
This module is actually quite nifty little part. I am not sure why more people don't add it to their vehicles.

basically the unit was manufactured to add power doorlock outputs to alarm systems without any doorlock outputs.

What it does is it sends a signal when a ground or positive signal is sent to the unit and when that signal is removed, it will send another signal.

If you have it hooked up to a ignition wire, it will sense the ignition wire, at that point send out a negative pulse (luckily your odyssey uses a negative pulse for doorlocks) and this will LOCK the doors upon ignition. When the ignition is turned off, it will send another pulse down another wire (negative again), the unlock wire. You can leave this wire unconnected if you do not want it to unlock upon turning off your car.

Here is a variation you guys may find interesting, if you purchase a 30 amp SPDT relay (search under relays), you wire the module so it will NOT LOCK THE DOORS if any of the doors are open automatically.

Why would you want to do this? Well. Sometimes you go to the carwash, they reach in from the passenger side, turn on your car, your passenger side door does not have any safety features, boom the doors lock, they close the doors. You have a locked car.
This should not happen if this is done from the driver side since Honda built provisions in.

To wire this in:

30 AMP SPDT RELAY

TERMINALS
87a ignition input of car (trigger, fused 5 amp)
85 ignition input of car (fused 5 amp)
86 DOMELIGHT trigger wire (at your domelight switch at dash)
30 Input for trigger on doorlock generator.

------------------

Here to help

·
Registered
52 Posts
The Toyman's got it right. The doors will lock when it gets a signal from the ignition. You don't actually have to start the van for the doors to lock, just turn the key to the first or second postion depending on how you wire the module. With Honda's anti lockout system, your doors will lock only if the driver's door is closed. All of the doors except the driver's door will lock even if they are open. If you're belting small children in, try not to start the van from the passenger side unless you remember to unlock the doors manually before walking around to the driver's door.
My autolock gets it's signal from the first ignition position. The only bug I found so far is that the DEI module gets a signal to lock the doors when you first turn the key, as the starter is starting the van the ignition signal is no longer present at the DEI module therefore the doors will unlock. Once the key returns to "running postion" the doors attempt to lock again. Anyhow, I have this lock-unlock-lock thing going on everytime I start the van. If you turn the key quickly enough you won't notice this because the locks don't have enough time to lock-unlock and lock again. You'll just notice them locking. Maybe the trick is to get the locking signal from the 2nd ignition wire (when the key is in the running position).

[This message has been edited by Rook (edited 06-03-2001).]

·
Registered
276 Posts
I installed this module 2 years ago in my '99 EX along with CS Remote Starter and it has been working flawlessly.

Rook, you may want to tap a different +12volt, you need to tap a wire that goes hot at ON position and stays hot at START (this will cause the doors to unlock when key is turned to ACC position). If you want the doors to unlock only at OFF position than you need to find a wire that goes hot at ALL position.

------------------
Harry
'99 Odyssey Pictures

·
Registered
52 Posts
hgani,
Thanks for the advice. One of these days I'll get around to rewiring that thing. I just haven't gotten the Helms manuals yet. I installed a Clifford alarm in another Honda of mine a few years ago and it had a feature that would lock your doors at whatever rpm you set it at. This way all of the doors would lock after I started driving. I've looked all over for a module that could do that but couldn't find it so I settled for the DEI module. When I do get the electronic manual I'll look for that wire that stays hot during start and while running. Other Honda fuse boxes used to have terminals right on them for you to tap into but I haven't been able to locate them on the Odyssey so far. Guess that's how Honda is cutting the cost. Atleast they didn't leave out the shift interlock device in order to add shift autolocks like some other van manufacturer did!

·
Registered
148 Posts
You tapped the heater control wire.
This wire is either white/black or yellow.
If it locks in the radio position, you tapped the accessory wire.

This will show 12 volts through ignition, shut off at crank and then on again in the run position. Honda does this to save juice so you can start your car.

You need to tap the BLACK/YELLOW wire which is ignition 1 and show voltage through the crank cycle.

Tap the IGN 1 wire (black with yellow, heavy gauge) FUSE IT! You do NOT want to be driving down the road and have your IGN 1 circuit short (hence, NO POWER TO CAR!)

As for delaying the signal to lock the doors, again this is possible.

You will need a PULSE TIMER RELAY.

Adjustable from .01 second to 3.5 minutes.

This will delay the signal going to the doorlock generator (you set the delay via a dial on the unit) for the lock and unlock.

It simply disconnects the ignition wire for the predetermined amount of time (allowing your children to get in, all the people to get in, etc) and lock the doors 1-3 minutes later as everyone is in the car or as you are driving. You may want to consider this. Its fairly cheap.

(if you want to get crazy funky, you can wire this unit so it only delays the circuit when a door is open, otherwise it will lock the doors immediately -- just wire the ground for this unit off the domelight which sends a ground out when any doors is open) -- otherwise, it will see no ground and lock immediately.

Anything is possible. Just ask.

------------------

Here to help

1 - 12 of 12 Posts