Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alaska/Canada! TOWING Wiring harness '05+ AFTERMARKET

Alaska/Canada members

Sorry for the 'shouting' but wanted to get everyone's attention.

If you're not aware, there is finally an aftermarket wiring harness for the 2005+ Ody. See it here: http://www.redtrailers.com/ShowItem.asp?id=63107

Discovered FIRST by member Odyssym in BC Canada, the redtrailers online seller has them for the USA - so far the only place selling them that I've found.

The trouble for Alaska? The shipping. The website says only via UPS - and it's way too much. So I e-mailed them and asked if they'd ship via US Mail, and got a reply from an employee named Paul that he would be able to send up to 6 of them via US Mail to me in Anchorage for only $10.00! At a cost of $32.95 each, plus just under $2.00 each postage, if we buy 6 we'd have wiring harnesses for under $35.00! A third the price of the best online seller for the OEM harness!

Even if no one else wants one, I'm going to order at least 2 (1 for me, and 1 to have for that inevitable person locally that wishes they ordered one, too).

So... you Alaska members who haven't already bought from Continental and paid the ludicrous price for the OEM harness, post up.

For you guys in Canada, my thought was this... It seems even tho' the loonie is as close to the dollar value-wise as ever, you guys still get pinched big time on pricing. I could bring some 'bulk' to me, and send them out at cost plus exact US Mail postage to you and it would likely still give you good savings. I'm waiting to hear from Odyssym on what the pricing was from rackstop in BC where he bought his. Maybe it'll work, maybe not, we'll see.

BUT let me hear from you few Alaska guys that want in on this.

edit - "TOWING" added to subject heading... ;)

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
okay... per Odyssym it only cost him CA $49 for this harness locally there (he's in BC). So doesn't look like much of a savings over the US $32.95 for buying some then resending them individually to Canada - maybe a few dollars savings each after postage, but it'd probably be negated by the hassle factor.

And while I know there are some of us here from AK, several from Anchorage, not all have an '05+ model... I'll give it a few more days and if there are no responses I'll go ahead and bring up a few anyway as eventually someone will want one. I can have up to 6 of them sent to me for the flat $10.00 postage fee.

The solution is.... I need to recruit more locals to OdyClub! :) Seems like there are new Odys on the road all the time here now.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What's it for? Seriously? It's a wiring harness so you can have power to your trailer lights....

If you plan to tow a trailer, you'll need some way to get the power from the tow vehicle to the trailer. If you don't plan on towing, you don't need this at all.

This item is the only "plug and play" aftermarket harness found (so far) for the '05+ Odyssey and is a huge savings over the pricing on the OEM product.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok - slow in posting but I did finally order and receive my box of wiring harnesses from redtrailers.com last week. I received very good service (talked to Paul) and prompt shipping - the only glitch was that they overbilled my credit card and I had to ask for a credit against the shipping charges (the billing department was apparently not made aware of the postage arrangement the internet salesman had quoted to me and billed me the standard UPS rate to Alaska, when the salesman thankfully honored my request to use a USPS Priority Mail flat rate box - very nice and saved me some $$).

Anyway, I ended up only ordering 4 - but I should have gone ahead and ordered the 6 maximum offered by the salesman for my postage quote, because the price went up sometime this week from $32.95 to $42.95! Guess we may be generating some sales for them on this item. http://www.redtrailers.com/ShowItem.asp?id=63107

Anyway, I finally got around to also buying a hitch yesterday so I hope to install that with the harness soon.

Anyone in Alaska that sees this and you want to buy one of the 3 extras I brought up reply to the post or PM me. I will charge only my cost ($32.95) plus the split postage ($2.50) plus only a small profit ($5.00) since I got zero interest up front and stepped out and took a small 'risk'. If you're in Anchorage you can pick it up. If you're elsewhere in AK additional exact postage will apply.

That's still less than buying at the new $42.95 price + postage and also still a very large savings over the OEM wiring harness cost.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alaska/Canada! TOWING Wiring harness '05+ AFTERMARKET

the 'shouting' was immediately spoken to... (7th word of original post...). and it's not like the whole title was in CAPS so consider it more of a 'controlled holler' (and not a southeastern valley). That said, you have a minor point on including 'towing' in the title but I think most interested in towing are aware of the lack of a plug-n-play towing harness until now and would know what it's about. none-the-less, 'towing' added just for you egads and one exclamation removed, to be reserved for later use. :D

·
Registered
13,617 Posts
A few lessons here. The main one is what I pointed out already, Thread titles matter. Remember folks, you are trying to communicate. The second lesson is that after I posted my comment above, I realized that this availability had also been reported in several existing threads dealing with trailer wiring. One of the points of "posting and you" is:
"It's always better to post in an existing thread than to start a new one" Now all of this hardly matters in the scheme of life, but keeping this board lean does matter with how fast it loads and how much bandwidth it takes up. Bandwidth we don't pay for, but our webmaster does. In any case, if any of you have missed this little flash presentation, see it now. (wait for it to load if your connection is not fast)

http://download.skype.com/share/posting.swf

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
egads, 100% of my posts of the availability of this item, were to EXISTING (shouting again) threads already talking about towing/hitches/wiring harnesses, to point those partaking in those threads in the right direction. ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with that at all. The one exception is the thread started specifically about this item, made by Odyssym, who discovered this item for the first time in Canada - I amended his post with the USA availability. So the 'lack of lean' as you call it, already existed.

And this thread is in a forum specifically to gather those together to purchase a specific item. The "Group Buy" forum is in a way a way to re-post a thread on purpose, to consolidate buyers, rather than cluttering up a thread in, say, the Aftermarket section.
I may get few takers, being in Alaska and all, but before too long I will have sold these and saved several folks some good money.

As far as the thread title, I covered that in my last post. I think most would understand that the "wiring harness" is for the towing kit, and if not, and they are curious, and thought it was for re-wiring the entire vehicle electrical system, they can sigh at my foolishness, and move on to other things.

EDIT:
egads said:
...but keeping this board lean does matter with how fast it loads and how much bandwidth it takes up. Bandwidth we don't pay for, but our webmaster does...
hey, you encouraged me in one more thing - to donate to OdyClub (I have been meaning to for some time, but your note reminded me to do so today).

So if anything, besides you yourself having taking up more bandwidth in a thread you're not really even interested in other than to complain about me legitimately posting in the GROUP forum and to existing threads (plus posting links in my group thread to unrelated flash presentations) - you got me motivated to PayPal the funds to Jim that I have been meaning to. I encourage YOU to do the same if you haven't recently/already. And the same goes to anyone who benefits from this site. Support the site that provides you with great info on your Odyssey! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts