Honda Odyssey Forum banner

ALERT ! 2018 Odyssey Transmission Failure at 75,400 miles !

4533 13
I knew this was going to happen; Honda decided to "re-engineer" the transmission for the 2018 Honda Odyssey, and it's going to be a HUGE HEADACHE for the company in the near future.. and even bigger for owners!

I have owned a 2007, 2011, 2014, and now, a 2018 Honda Odyssey. I drive an average of 400 miles per day, 90% Highway, in the North Carolina Piedmont area. Loved my 2014 for the most part. Put over 300k miles on it before trading, and never had any major mechanical issue.

From the very beginning, I was not happy with the 2018. The transmission acted like it never new what gear to go into, and I was getting worse fuel mileage than the 2014 model. I started noticing noise from the drive train early on. If I eased off the gas, while slowing down in traffic, or approaching a stop light, and then re-accelerated, many times the transmission would hesitate, and then "bang" into gear, making a metal-on-metal noise.

At first, it was not very loud, and just slightly noticeable, but as time went by and I put more mile on the car, it became louder and much more noticeable! I took it to Autopark Honda in Cary several times with this complaint.. and I would always get the "We can't replicate the problem" response.

The last time I took it in, the car had about 58,000 miles on it and the drive train warranty soon to expire. That time, the mechanic acknowledged that the was definitely an issue, and had communicated with Honda Tech, but no resolution offered! I was told that they would "stand behind the car", should something happen.

Well, something happened.. the transmission failed. The first call from a Service Advisor told me the repair would cost almost $6,200 ! But then added that they would submit a claim to Honda Goodwill. The next day, I was informed that Honda would pay all but $1261 (which must be their actual hardware cost), of the repair.

I find this unacceptable! While I appreciate that they are willing to pay a large part of the cost; a Honda transmission should not fail at 75,000 miles.. period! Honda stupidly decided to re-engineer a perfectly good transmission, and came up with a dud.

I am also sure that my situation will not be an isolated one. During my 58,000 mile visit, I was given a 2019 Odyssey as a loaner for a few days. It made the very same noise!

So if you own a 2018 or newer Odyssey... beware! And make certain that you are having the transmission fluid serviced every 30k miles, or you will no doubt be denied any help when (no if), your transmission fails.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
136 Posts
I’m sorry that you’ve had a transmission failure.

But before everybody freaks out, one failure doesn’t mean anything. There’s little to no chatter on the Honda tech side of things pertaining to failures with these things.

One failure does not indicate a dud.

· Registered
2004 EX-RES
1,102 Posts
Most states have laws regarding warranties, that protect consumers from companies that put off repairs until after the warranty runs out. This is a classic case of a company putting off a repair until after the warranty ended. I would check your warranty laws.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’m sorry that you’ve had a transmission failure.

But before everybody freaks out, one failure doesn’t mean anything. There’s little to no chatter on the Honda tech side of things pertaining to failures with these things.

One failure does not indicate a dud.
True JR, but how many people own a nine-speed 2018 Odyssey with 75k miles on it? And as I pointed out.. the 2019 loaner was doing the very same thing, at the same intensity level as mine, when it first started. I am 65 years old, have driven millions of miles, and have a very good "read" on the vehicles I drive. And as such, I feel quite confident with my prediction. You may as well begin preparing your pie crust.

· Registered
136 Posts
And please don’t confuse my argument with a defense of the ZF9. It’s a goofy shifting box that has almost no fans, regardless of which brand installs it.

The 10 speed Honda trans is a clear step forward and I’m assuming is production limited given that it’s still only available in a few lines/trims. Surely Honda would rather have it in the pilot and mdx than the zf9.

· Registered
1,321 Posts
My neighbor has a 2018 and the transmission was changed recently.

· Registered
24 Posts
new to forum. Any new updates for this transmission pre mature failure? I am looking to buy a 2018 up Ody and don't want to get one if there will be an inpending transmission failure it it's future. (did that with Chrysler mini vans, done with that company)

· Registered
1 Posts
new to forum. Any new updates for this transmission pre mature failure? I am looking to buy a 2018 up Ody and don't want to get one if there will be an inpending transmission failure it it's future. (did that with Chrysler mini vans, done with that company)
Hi Brian.....this is Ken....the transmission is a ZF built in Carolina's. If you Google ZF Wikipedia will give you a list
of all units that have this tranny. None of the companies are admitting to having problems but what got my attention
was that the US transportation authority are actually thinking about starting a class action suit. If that happens
then the trade value of my 2018 would have dropped considerably. So I traded it in on a 2020 which now has the
Honda transmission. It shifts perfectly, no slips or hesitation. I was like you and dropped the big 3 line. One of my kids
has a Toyota Sienna and the features of the Honda Odyssey blows it away. I hope this helps and Honda used that
transmission for only 2 years, 2018 and 2019. Good Luck Ken

· Registered
10 Posts
Just traded my 2018 EXL in for a 2021 Touring. My 2018 tranny had become a concern and never really felt right. 2021 is so much better. After reading this thread, i'm really feeling even more like I might have dodged a bullet.

· Registered
24 Posts
UPdate:
With the End of the year clearances and submitting exactily what we wanted to a few dealerships. I was amazed at how much they took off sticker. We bought a brand new 2020 Odyssey EX-L with Nav/Res and love it. And they delived it to the house almost 100 miles away. (actually odometer had 93 miles on it when it arrived)
I am finding out some unique features they don't think to tell you about it.
1. You can not pull forward if the door is open, it will shift to park. so close the door!
2. Automatic dimmer bright headlights option. that's pretty cool.
3. When raining, and placing in reverse, the rear wiper comes on automaticly. Smart engineering there.
4. Hold the unlock button down on the keyfob and all windows and sunroof will open. Note: be careful not to lean on that switch, my windows were slightly open the next day and it had been raining..errrr. cleaned up perfectly, but I was worried.
5. highway MPG was hitting 30 at 80mph with AC on and loaded for the trip. That's impressive.
I am sure I will find other unique features as time goes by, and we are loving it. 2 weeks and 1,300 miles so far.
Any suggestions as to "what to have or do" from you Ody pros?

· Registered
40 Posts
I knew this was going to happen; Honda decided to "re-engineer" the transmission for the 2018 Honda Odyssey, and it's going to be a HUGE HEADACHE for the company in the near future.. and even bigger for owners!

I have owned a 2007, 2011, 2014, and now, a 2018 Honda Odyssey. I drive an average of 400 miles per day, 90% Highway, in the North Carolina Piedmont area. Loved my 2014 for the most part. Put over 300k miles on it before trading, and never had any major mechanical issue.

From the very beginning, I was not happy with the 2018. The transmission acted like it never new what gear to go into, and I was getting worse fuel mileage than the 2014 model. I started noticing noise from the drive train early on. If I eased off the gas, while slowing down in traffic, or approaching a stop light, and then re-accelerated, many times the transmission would hesitate, and then "bang" into gear, making a metal-on-metal noise.

At first, it was not very loud, and just slightly noticeable, but as time went by and I put more mile on the car, it became louder and much more noticeable! I took it to Autopark Honda in Cary several times with this complaint.. and I would always get the "We can't replicate the problem" response.

The last time I took it in, the car had about 58,000 miles on it and the drive train warranty soon to expire. That time, the mechanic acknowledged that the was definitely an issue, and had communicated with Honda Tech, but no resolution offered! I was told that they would "stand behind the car", should something happen.

Well, something happened.. the transmission failed. The first call from a Service Advisor told me the repair would cost almost $6,200 ! But then added that they would submit a claim to Honda Goodwill. The next day, I was informed that Honda would pay all but $1261 (which must be their actual hardware cost), of the repair.

I find this unacceptable! While I appreciate that they are willing to pay a large part of the cost; a Honda transmission should not fail at 75,000 miles.. period! Honda stupidly decided to re-engineer a perfectly good transmission, and came up with a dud.

I am also sure that my situation will not be an isolated one. During my 58,000 mile visit, I was given a 2019 Odyssey as a loaner for a few days. It made the very same noise!

So if you own a 2018 or newer Odyssey... beware! And make certain that you are having the transmission fluid serviced every 30k miles, or you will no doubt be denied any help when (no if), your transmission fails.

My transmission just went out at 69k miles. It is a 2018 with the 10 speed.

· Registered
2019 EX-L
306 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.