Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New poster here. I searched lawsuit and A/C problems and only found one thread re: the A/C problem from 2009. If I missed something, my apologies.

I just received the class action notice in the mail today. I spent about $900 back in mid-2009 to fix our compressor after a rock strike. We had 38K on the vehicle and Honda wouldn't cover any of the expenses.

The notice states that Honda will not compensate anyone who had this issue outside of the 3 yr/36K warranty period. However, CRV and TSX owners (other sub-groups) will received pro-rated compensation.

Question to anyone knowledgeable about this issue: Why would the plantiff lawyers agree to Honda's request to exclude probably their biggest customer loser group?? Why no pro-rated compensation for Ody owners?

All Honda is doing is providing a protective grill and installation for a whopping $50. I already did the gutter-guard thing after forking out for the repair.

Any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The CR-V/TSX issues were because the compressors grenade, which is a separate concern vs. the Odyssey (unless the Odyssey is using the same compressor). We were "lucky" enough to have our '03 CR-V compressor explode about this time last year (after I had a buyer lined up). Honda wanted $2500 to fix, which was about 1/3 of the value of the car. I ended up spending a little over $1000 using non-OEM parts, but having the dealer do the work.

I am with you as I am just as disappointed in the settlement terms. There's no reason the A/C failures should occur in such a dramatic fashion in such a short timeframe. (I know 7+ years may be good for an American-badged car, but not what we've come to expect from owning Hondas since '88.)

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
I think the op is crossing the compressor for the rock in the condenser which I think should be handled as an insurance claim instead of a service claim.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I got my notice today as well. I haven't had this issue on my van but waswondering if I should do the rock guard as a preventative measure. Should I pay for it and claim under this settlement?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Brings Back Memories

I had a 2005 Odyssey with 2800 miles when a rock hit the condenser coils and cause a leak. I posted in this thread (way back in 2005...wow) http://www.odyclub.com/forums/52-2005-2010-odyssey/24117-new-mod-front-grill-stone-protector.html and installed a Mr. Grill protector for the lower portion of the grill. I noticed the later years 'magically' had a modification to this lower section. I installed a Mr. Grill to prevent this and had no problems afterwards.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Does anyone have a link to what the grill looks like?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yep, ours came in the mail today too. I opened up and saw what it was and dropped in it in the trash can.

Bill

·
Registered
66 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Thanks for the picture. I like the look. Guess I'll head to the local dealer and get it installed.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Well, I can't guarantee that is the grill they will install. That was a Mr. Grill grill installed a few years ago. I suspect it will look similar to the lower portion.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I read the notice. Plaintiff lawyers get $2.25 million for getting Honda to pay for those condensers damaged during the 36k warranty period. The idea that those whose condensers were "exposed" to rocks but were not damaged have damages that a class action attorney can get paid for representing is a travesty.

The court should have thrown out a class action that attempted to combine the vehicles with internal compressor problems and those with exposed condensers. They really aren't remotely similar problems.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Anyone know part number for protective screen?

:huh:

Hi Fusionrx,

I to had received the litigation letter this past weekend.

I called Honda North America, and they had only heard of the class action law suit being handled by Alin Litigation. But had no additional information.
They adviced I call my local dealer...
Well I did that, and my dealer had not heard of the litigation either, and asked me to bring in the letter and the Odyssey, so they "could look it over".

Several hours later...
Just got back from dealership, and as I suspected they had no information. They do agree that it would be wise to get the protective screen installed, but they do not know a part number to order. Honda N/A has not told them anythinig, nor have any of the dealerships gotten information from Alin Litigation, so they are all clueless on what to order.

So, like you, even though I have not had the condensor damaged by stones, I really want to get the screen installed to prevent what sounds to be a $1,000.00 repair that WILL NOT BE COVERED, since my van is over 3 years old (2007 EX with 29,500 miles).

If anyone knows the Honda Part number, can you post it in this thread?

Thanks
George

·
Registered
193 Posts
Has anyone on the board actually experienced a damaged condensor ?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Got my notice yesterday. As a preimptive strike I have already done the gutter guard mod. I will probably buy the condenser guard and presue reimbursement for it through the notice. Assuming the courts approve the settlement terms.

I don's suspect my local Honda monkeys are aware of the situation yet either. But I have to run out there for some other parts and I will quiz them at that time but I'm not holding my breath. In the mean time I will do some research on the p/n for the guard.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
For those of you who want to install the protective screen to prevent damage by road debris/rocks etc., this issue has been discussed many times here.

Different people use different things (Mr Grille, Honda OEM stuff, Gutter Guard).

I installed my Plastic Gutter Guard in 2007 and so far so good. It cost me excatly $10 (including zip ties). Very very easy to do, even if you have not fixed car before!

Go to the thread below and look at the threads #10-14, it is very easy!

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/52-2005-2010-odyssey/40871-ac-condenser-area-very-exposed.html

·
Registered
380 Posts
When I called the dealership yesterday they were unaware of the lawsuit as well and unaware of what part # to order. I'm outside of the warranty period (3/36), and at 63k miles.

I want it to prevent the damage as there is lots of crap on the roads here in Minnesota year round.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just got the screen from the dealer. Here is the part number. 74100-SHJ-305
Sorry, no picture. I'm going to install it later this week. The trouble is it requires special rivet nut tool to install. I'll have to find a way to get around.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Had this happen on a 03 Civic I had. Car had 900 miles when a rock or somthing put a hole in my condensor. Honda would not cover it but my insurance (usaa) did. All I was out was $250.00 for the deductible.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Would you mind telling us how much you paid for the screen?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts