Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I'd make one comment; I noticed that the Audiovox, iVES, ROSEN & TMI traveltheater all use the same wireless headphones. I've looked at the picture for each of these and noticed they're identical.

Anyway, just thought I'd point that out that at least you don't have to worry about this part of the system; looks like you'll get the same headphones no matter which video system you choose.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I'm not sure that they all have the same features though. I looked at a friend's iVES headphones and at our Rosen headphones. Our Rosen headphones have a "rocker switch" on one of the ear pieces that turns the units on. When the headphones are not on a person's head, they will be off, even if the power switch is turned on. Although this may sound like a cool idea, the switch may be hard to activate with younger kids' heads. Also, the headphones may not be identically electronically--frequency, etc. I have no verification of this though.

Jeff

------------------
Jeff

'01 SS EX
Cassette, Rosen Video System, Fog Lights, Splash Guards
Full Nose Mask

See photos at:
http://www.fototime.com/inv/B5EC5C7BC6CFA07

·
Registered
92 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nyvram:
I thought I'd make one comment; I noticed that the Audiovox, iVES, ROSEN & TMI traveltheater all use the same wireless headphones. I've looked at the picture for each of these and noticed they're identical.

Anyway, just thought I'd point that out that at least you don't have to worry about this part of the system; looks like you'll get the same headphones no matter which video system you choose.
</font>
In the '02 we saw with a dvd system, the headphones were very different from our Audiovox ones. They looked bigger/heavier, which is a negative w/ kids, although they may not actually be. Much rounder. Didn't think to look who made them. Didn't really want to be handling other peoples new toys before they did. For what the system costs though, I'm sure they are very good quality.

------------------

'66 Mustang convertible (former, pre-mommy life)
'99 CSS EX (gone but not forgotten)
'01 GG EX (Humpty Dumpty - you know the story)
'02 GG EXL NAV (Under construction)

...come over the hill Carolina. Devils & Deacs
stand in line...

·
Registered
255 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jvennitti:
Our Rosen headphones have a "rocker switch" on one of the ear pieces that turns the units on. When the headphones are not on a person's head, they will be off, even if the power switch is turned on. </font>
The wireless headphones that came with our aftermarket Audiovox system are the same as the Rosens.

------------------
David
'01 GG EX-NAVI
Classic Soft Trim leather kit; Audiovox entertainment system; Gentex auto dimming compass/temp rear view mirror; Pioneer speakers front & rear; leather steering wheel wrap; splash guards; cargo tray; cargo liner; power door mods; Helm manual; Honda litter bag.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, the BST (backseattheater) has the exact same properties; when the headphones are off the head, the switch turns them off. I agree that it is very annoying for our 4-year old. We have to fuss with them everytime he puts them on to get them in the 'right' spot so they don't turn off.

I was using your pics, Jeff to compare. Look at the iVES pics on Trevor's site & also the headphones pictured at backseattheater.com. You'll find they all look amazingly similar. I have NOT seen the iVES headphones in person but I have seen the Audiovox ones at Circuit City and they are indeed the same as the BST.

As for the RES, I have no clue...

[This message has been edited by nyvram (edited 09-25-2001).]

·
Registered
92 Posts
Most wireless headphones are made by Unwired Technologies (www.unwiredtech.com) and are OEM'd to mobile audio/video companies. The good news is Unwired has child sized replacement headbands to help trigger the switch for smaller heads.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Steve, I went all over the www.unwiredtech.com site but could not find any mention of the smaller 'child' headbands. Is there a URL at the site above that shows this? I hit the accessories, FAQs...everything but could not find what you were talking about.

Do you know the cost? Do you have them? Do they work better?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Unwired is the one who markets them and the one with the mechanical switches suck! I only sell the ones that have a touch on and off switch and when they don't see a signal from the IR pod they shut off automatically. Much better then the mechanical switch type. I pay about 20 bucks a piece wholesale for them. And yes they are interchangeable between many brands. There are also RF and the new 900 MGHZ headphones. I like the 900 but not the RF headphones that have to be tuned. They are terrible. Unfortunately Audiovox uses that type on the 7" screens on up. I throw them away and either use the IR or the 900 MGHZ Phones. Hope that helps.

DanDan the Radio Man

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
OK, so I want to keep an eye out for extra IR headphones for my 02 Silver Beast with RES.

Where would I look, and exactly what would I look for?

·
Registered
200 Posts
DanDan,

I think I understand your post, but would you clarify which switches you consider the mechanical ones and the switches you consider the touch ones.

Also, do you know if Unwired Technologies provides a list of compatible type headphones?

Thanks for the help,

Jeff

------------------
Jeff

'01 SS EX
Cassette, Rosen Video System, Fog Lights, Splash Guards
Full Nose Mask

See photos at:
http://www.fototime.com/inv/B5EC5C7BC6CFA07

·
Registered
148 Posts
I use a set of wireless 900MHZ headphones in my car. I put the transmitter under the rear seat of my car (which saves space) and even through the well support metal rear metal seat cushion, it is able to transmit the signal about a half a block away.

It already paid for itself when my infant daughter is asleep and we are cruising along.

BTW: The child strap can be found here if you cannot find it at your favorite online shop or local retailer, "http://store.autotoys.com/cgi-bin/wfp53024.storefront/EN/Product/MIC UAHHB1" (cut and past link in quotes)

------------------

Here to help

·
Registered
92 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nyvram:
Yes, the BST (backseattheater) has the exact same properties; when the headphones are off the head, the switch turns them off. I agree that it is very annoying for our 4-year old. We have to fuss with them everytime he puts them on to get them in the 'right' spot so they don't turn off.

B]</font>

We had this same problem with our kids with our first Audiovox system. But our second system, purchased less than a year ago, has headphones that look identical but actually have an on/off button. It's not placed perfectly as the kids sometimes shut it off when handling the headphones, but it's waaay better than the ones that require pressure to keep them on. If you can't find a better substitute, maybe take a look at circuit city again to see if they have (what I guess is) this newer type.

------------------

'66 Mustang convertible (former, pre-mommy life)
'99 CSS EX (gone but not forgotten)
'01 GG EX (Humpty Dumpty - you know the story)
'02 GG EXL NAV (Under construction)

...come over the hill Carolina. Devils & Deacs
stand in line...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts