Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just filled up this morning and my "low fuel" light came on at 429 miles on the tank. It was about 2:30AM, so I didn't want to push my luck and stopped after about 10 miles. I really hadn't tried to get good gas mileage, was running about 75-80 mph for the last 200 miles. I should have slowed down to about 60 mph to see how far I could get.

I saw a posting in the 3rd or 4th gen forums of people trying to get 500 miles out of a tank. I think I did fairly well for a 2000 :coolio:

28MPG

Sorry for the crappy pics, but that is the best I could do with my phone at that time of day, while driving.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,481 Posts
I get the same with my 3rd gen. I have gotten it to 451 miles with room to go before I chickened out. I always fill up when 1/4 tank remains. If you are interested, check out JyRO's posts. He has gotten his 3rd gen to 550 miles a tank. But like you say they're all in the 3rd gen forum.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Had it been during the day and I wasn't tired, I would have pushed it. I just wanted to get home after picking up the van from the transmission shop (got my warranty replacement due to a leaky front seal). I only started thinking about seeing if I could get to 500 when I was close to 400 miles, but it was too late to make up for the 75-80 I had done before.

I saw the thread about the 500 mile club, just didn't see many people with 2nd gens doing it, or close to it. But it was a big thread.

Based on hitting 439 miles and getting 28mpg, I could have gone another 45 miles possibly. That would have left me about 25 short of 500. Still happy to get 28 mpg in this 2 ton beast. I was just above the 1/2 tank mark when I hit 250 miles, and thought about it, but didn't want to add to the 5 hour trip just to get to 500 miles.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know I could have gotten another mpg out of it if I had tried, but I was running on empty before the ody was.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hi Paarlberg!

This is Awesome! relating to this, I was wondering, what do you have or do with the Van to reach such an mpg? aside from driving habits? my wife drives conservatively already but not a hypermiler, but at best, we only get 19.5mpg on 80% fwy... and generally average about 17.5 mpg most of the time on 70% fwy. even if i get 24mpg ave...

My symmetry/optima tires are already at 35psi, new plugs. tranny just "repaired", new air filter, no mods cept the tranny cooler. i'm at a loss at what to do next... i do have a wierd idling issue and alignment issue (still figuring out...)

Any ideas you or anyone could share would be appreciated. I too would like to join the 400mi club at least.

Thank You!

CK

·
Registered
114 Posts
You could have easily reached 500 miles at that mpg rating. I have surpassed 500 miles on a tank and my mpg has been only 27 when cruising steadily at 72 mph in the flats of the midwest highways. Mine is a '00 Ex-Nav. My mileage has not decreased because of age either. These vans are surprisingly fuel efficient.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I removed all metal body parts, windows and all but the driver seat :rollingeyes:

Actually, I don't do any thing special. These were mostly all highway and back roads with minimal stopping. I was alone for all these miles though, so the passenger weight wasn't that high (my wife might not agree with that last part) .

Washington Rd, Augusta, GA to Lavonia, GA - Google Maps

That was the route I did for the 28.0 mpg. My wife followed me the Augusta to Cades, SC part, so I think I went closer to 75 than the Cades to Lavonia part.

Around town I usually get about 16-19 mpg. So there is a big difference with all highway vs any stop and go.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
You could have easily reached 500 miles at that mpg rating. I have surpassed 500 miles on a tank and my mpg has been only 27 when cruising steadily at 72 mph in the flats of the midwest highways. Mine is a '00 Ex-Nav. My mileage has not decreased because of age either. These vans are surprisingly fuel efficient.
I could possibly do 500 miles on that type of road.

My trip elevations are below.

Augusta, GA 136 ft
Columbia, SC 292 ft
Florence, SC 138 ft (near where I cut over to Lake City)
Cades/Lake City, SC 75 ft
Columbia, SC 292 ft
Greenville/Spartanburg, SC 807 ft
Lavonia, GA 853 ft

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was thinking it had a 17.4 gallon tank, I just looked and it is 20 gallons.. I could have easily made 500 miles then. :frown:

When does the low fuel light come on?

·
Registered
157 Posts
I think i read about that in the 500 mi club thread. someone theorized, i think OF, that you need to tip the Ody front side lower, and driver rear side higher to actually optimize filling the gas tank... otherwise you can only put in around 18Gallons.

CK

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good for you, especially since gas went up a quarter overnight.
I have 2 civics for most of my driving, might put a couple hundred miles on the Ody per month usually.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I must have some serious problems with mine. I have an 01 and I am lucky to get 250 miles on a tank. And that's mostly highway miles!! So jealous!!!!

·
Registered
145 Posts
The low fuel light comes on when I need around 16 gal on my 2002 EX. I believe my best mileage was around 27 or 28. I get about 17.5 average in stop and go highway driving, and normally get around 22 mpg with steady 75mph highway driving with 5 people and luggage.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I normally get 15.5-19mpg. Is there anything I could do to get better mpg? I aunt has a '99 and get about 20-25mpg.
I try to keep my cruising RPMs at 2000 or lower, I can run 60-65 mph at 1600 rpm. Around town, it is usually slightly over 2100 rpm for 45-50 mph. RPMs are under 2500 during acceleration, unless in a hurry :p.

Around town my mileage is much lower than the 24-28mpg I get on the highway.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have never try or pay attention to see how many miles I can get in a full tank of gas. By the way, is topping up the gas tank allow? Just kidding.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts