Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've debated if I should post this story, but what the heck!

Our POS Grand Caravan went into the shop with a Check Engine light on. The sum of the repairs was over $3000. Luckily, we have an extended warranty that covered 40%. We opted not to have all the problems fixed, just the MAJOR ones. So I called my Acura dealer and asked him if he knew anyone who could sell us an Ody. He referred me to a friend who not only would sell us one, at MSRP, but he had a RRP one available that week! No money was needed to hold it, I had been referred by a good buddy.

I was very happy. But the true owner of the car, the wife, was not about to purchase one witout seeing it or driving it. After some hemming and hawing, I gave up and told her to find one she can see and drive. I called the salesman and told him we were not going to buy the car. He said no problem and he would make more money on the vehicle. When we are ready, call him and he will help us out. We just happened to call at the right time when one was available.

So we (I) are still looking, I know we'll have to replace the Caravan sooner than later. The wife thinks we can just keep driving it until we need to replace it, making repairs. I am finished putting money into it. I'd rather make car payments on an Ody.

Sorry for the long post, but I just had to share (vent?).

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Why didn't you just go over and look at and drive the Ody that your friend of a friend had? You could have bought it right then.

·
Registered
62 Posts
But the true owner of the car, the wife, was not about to purchase one witout seeing it or driving it.

Good luck finding one of these to test drive! We never did. The closest we got was a 2001 that someone had traded in for a 2002. It was close, but our 2002 does "feel" different. The market does seem to be getting a little bit better though, so you may find a dealer that has some on hand. It might help her to see some of the reviews and write-ups on the Odyssey (go to the links page for those). Good luck!

·
Registered
99 Posts
It's too bad the dealer you saw wouldn't let you take that Ody for a drive. You shoul dhave offeredto buy it on the spot if the test drive was good.

Again, too bad you don't live in Canada. There doesn't seem to be a shortage of 2002 Odys at our dealership. They had 3 EX-Ls on the lot, plus some EXs. I was about to order an EX-L, asked for a test drive (told the dealer I preferred to test drive the actual van I was going to buy i.e. EX-L), so he gave me the keys to a brand spanking new EX-L, pulled the plastic off the leather seats, and away I went. The vehicle had 7 km on it when I left the dealership, and the plastic wrap still over the alloy wheels.

He said he would use it for future test drives.

If you live close to Canada, think about going across the border for a test drive.

-Kevin

------------------
2000 Accord SE
1999 GrandAm GT

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Am I the only one confused here?

2000TL: you were offered a car. You called the salesman back and told him no thanks.

Question: why didn't you AND YOUR WIFE go and test drive this car? Why did you just call back and say "no thanks, I won't take it" without asking to drive it? Did the salesman refuse to let you drive it? Did the salesman refuse to let you see it?

You're upset enough to vent; I would think that you'd have been excited enough about the whole deal to make whatever arrangements were necessary to *take your wife in* and test drive the car. Unless the car salesman refused to let you drive or even see it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by adam1991:
Am I the only one confused here?

2000TL: you were offered a car. You called the salesman back and told him no thanks.

Question: why didn't you AND YOUR WIFE go and test drive this car? Why did you just call back and say "no thanks, I won't take it" without asking to drive it? Did the salesman refuse to let you drive it? Did the salesman refuse to let you see it?

You're upset enough to vent; I would think that you'd have been excited enough about the whole deal to make whatever arrangements were necessary to *take your wife in* and test drive the car. Unless the car salesman refused to let you drive or even see it.
</font>
I forgot to mention my wife did not want to go look at or test drive the van. The salesman was very professional and not upset. I am the one who is upset with my wife. btw, we handled this all over the phone.

Here is an update on the POS Caravan: She is experiencing intermittment electrical problems, but "when you turn off the van and turn it back on, they go away and everything works again." She doesn't think she has to worry. I am ready to unload this thing and will taking action hopefully this week! With or without her, test drive or no test drive!

·
Registered
239 Posts
From now on, try to let the wife to take care of the problem of the Caravan and let her feels the pain of paying money of her pocket, and she will change her mind.
Also, remind her that the Caravan will not be worth as much if let it becomes totally undrivable, so sell it now for more while the problem is still fixable.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lotus18:

I appreciate the comments, but the repair payments come from my pot since I am the only fully employed person.

I reminded her about little value we'll get from the Caravan while we can, but she doesn't seem to care.

All: I'm not really angry, just concerned that she'll break down somewhere and be stranded. Yes, she has a cell phone and yes we have an auto club to call for help. I just hope she doesn't have any problems.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Me too, I am the only one who bring home money. However, I have her to take care all the bills and she has to write every single check. Actually, she was the one who could not stand watching our bank account drained down by our old car and she insisted to replaced it with a new one, and now she's happy that she did.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts