Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed an Alpine changer with one of these adapters made by PIE? If so, can you comment on how well it works and what the PIE part # is? I have an '02 EX and was wondering about it compatibility. Thanks.

------------------
Never thought I could get so excited over a minivan!

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
I have installed these before, many times, though never in an Ody. The peripheral unit works great in my experience. PN: HONIL
Not 100% sure on the '02 compatability though.

-SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Works like a charm! Thanks SJ! My recommendation to anyone wanting a CD changer - add an Alpine with the adapter. Total cost to me was $255 plus tax, more than $100 less than factory changer from H an d A.

Benefits:
1) Savings of > $100.
2) Alpine reputation.
3) Better quality.
4) Can be used in other vehicles with appropriate adapters or Alpine head unit.

Disadvatage:
You don't get the factory brackets, but that's okay since it mounts fine to the carpet or construct your own brackets.

------------------
'02 GG EX-L
'93 Acura Legend L

·
Registered
205 Posts
Please share where you got the Alpine unit and the PIE adapter. I'm interested in mounting one.

·
Registered
478 Posts
What exactly is the "adapter"? Is that what allows the steering wheel controls to still work?
I'm considering changing out the stock HU with single CD for an aftermarket cassette player/AM/FM and a remote CD changer-either Eclipse or Alpine. I understand it is still possible to use the steering wheel controls with an adapter of some kind. Anyone have experience in this kind of endeavor?

------------------
'02 RRP EX NAV
Mudguards,cargo tray,door edge protectors, gold emblems,
17" TSW Spirit wheels with 235/55 Dunlop Sport A2 tires Lots more to come!
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got both from The Good Guys. Normally they sell for $249 for the changer and $49 for the adapter. I was able to price match the changer from a local stereo shop for $215 and he gave me the adapter for $40. The model #'s are:
CHM-S620 for the Alpine six disc changer
HONIL for the Peripheral Interface

The adapter is protocol adapter that allows the stock head unit to "communicate" with the aftermarket changer. The "CD" button on the head unit allows me to switch between the in-dash CD and the changer.

See the following web sites:
http://www.peripheral-aamp.com/periph_products/cd_changer_autos/acura_honda.htm

http://www.alpine1.com

Sweet!

------------------
'02 GG EX-L
'93 Acura Legend L

·
Registered
354 Posts
I have a 10 disc Kenwood changer with the Peripheral adapter that I bought several months ago from, dare I say it, Autotoys for $259. I removed the drawer under the passenger seat (I hated to do that) and mounted the changer in it's place using flat brackets from Home Depot. Works great, and ten discs (plus one in the dash) beats 6+1 anyday.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Is there enough room under the motorized seat of the EX to mount a CD changer?

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sinbad:
Is there enough room under the motorized seat of the EX to mount a CD changer?</font>
I've got my Sony 10-changer mounted under the driver's seat, on the front side, on my '01 EX. We mounted it under a straight bar that mounts using the bolts attaching the seat to the riser. It's a tight fit vertically, the changer touches the carpet, but it works fine.

Mel

·
Registered
354 Posts
I mounted mine under the passenger seat only because I have the Sub under the driver's seat. I hated to remove the drawer, but rationalized it by the fact that I used to have the center bin full of CD's, but with the 10 disc changer, I don't have them there, so I got that space back.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Thanks. Assume you have the Kelton/Honda sub. If so, how do you like it?

·
Registered
354 Posts
I'm happy with the KB Sub. It's not a ghetto shaker, it just adds that little bit of base that is otherwise lacking. The difference is somewhat less significant however, since I put the Pioneer 1665's in.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
O.K., thanks. I have four Pioneer 1695's and bass is pretty good, esp. since I installed a 4 X 25 watt Blaupunkt Casablanca head unit. It really drives the speakers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts