Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I also finally got a VIN from a dealer after I've been consitantly asking him... He said that this is January allocation and will be delivered by the end of Jan. But the last 6 digits I received are: 539xxx. Now I remember that the vehicle built even in December was 541xxx. I thought that the last 6 is more like a serial number assigned incrementally, so I was expecting something starting with 54. Now is my assumption true? Or did the dealer just give me some old number?

·
Registered
36 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by arare:
OK, I also finally got a VIN from a dealer after I've been consitantly asking him... He said that this is January allocation and will be delivered by the end of Jan. But the last 6 digits I received are: 539xxx. Now I remember that the vehicle built even in December was 541xxx. I thought that the last 6 is more like a serial number assigned incrementally, so I was expecting something starting with 54. Now is my assumption true? Or did the dealer just give me some old number?</font>

I have no idea. I was told that the build dates for mine were 1/1 to 1/5. On 1/4 I got a VIN whose last 6 digits (which is a sequential number) start with 545XXX

Pat

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
OK, I also finally got a VIN from a dealer after I've been consitantly asking him... He said that this is January allocation and will be delivered by the end of Jan. But the last 6 digits I received are: 539xxx. Now I remember that the vehicle built even in December was 541xxx. I thought that the last 6 is more like a serial number assigned incrementally, so I was expecting something starting with 54. Now is my assumption true? Or did the dealer just give me some old number?</font>
Sounds strange.

VINs are made available to the dealer AFTER the vehicle has been produced, not before.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If You want to tell if it is the real Vin # ask them to go ahead and do the contract on it. They sure aren't going to contract you on a car they already sold to someone else. PS this also guarantees they do not sell it to someone else when it gets in.

------------------
Tim Leibel
Ocean Honda Chevrolet
Capitola, CA

·
Registered
52 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tim L:
If You want to tell if it is the real Vin # ask them to go ahead and do the contract on it. They sure aren't going to contract you on a car they already sold to someone else. PS this also guarantees they do not sell it to someone else when it gets in.
</font>
Great advice from Tim. But the downside to that idea is that YOU will decidedly be committing to a specific unit that is still in transit to the dealership, sight unseen. Automobile manufacturing and transportation are both imperfect activities, would everyone still be willing to take a vehicle, at their agreed upon price, if it were blemished in shipment somehow, and then had to be repaired (especially if it required body work), before they had ever gotten to even drive it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts