Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so Friday we took our 2003 Odyssey in to a dealership for the recalled passenger airbag. They replace it, and I'm sent home with the "service advisor" saying the vehicle looks good and the fluids are great along with their 6 page essay of the things they did for it. 6 hours later the battery light comes on, 2 hours after that the brake lamp comes on, next day I'm driving home from the store and I start losing power. Park, leave the car running but then can't get it into gear again. Make the decision to restart the car and it's dead. Completely drained, power locks, Windows, doors, nothing works. I call the dealership because obviously something must have happened since it was working fine the day before we brought it in. Had had the oil changed less than a month ago and the engine checked out and the battery replaced. It showed zero signs of an issue before the airbag thing. We get it towed to the dealership on Saturday before they close, today after calling them 4 times to get an response they tell me the alternator is dead and it'll be 800+ tax to repair. They insist that there is no correlation between the work they did and the alternator going bad. I'm skeptical since it seems like it would have to be quite the coincidence for them not to be related. Wondering if anyone else has had issues? Or if it's possible for the dealership to have caused the alternator to go bad. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Coincidence or not you can't prove they damaged the alternator. I would just fix it by rebuilding myself it if it still the original denso one. If not, get a denso reman or an aftermarket with lifetime warranty. If you need a shop to do it for you then get the denso reman. I would get your old denso alternator back just in case you find the need to rebuild it later on.

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
If it's at the dealership it will be a Denso reman, just an expensive one. Not sure how that addresses her concern of the alternator broken hours after doing the airbag recall.

I can assure you that the airbag work they did had nothing to do with the alternator. There's no way to harm the alternator while doing work on the vehicle where it's set up to fail within hours. If they did something it would have failed right there.

It sounds to me like just a coincidence. The D4 light could be due to low voltage. I'd get the alternator replaced and see what issues remain after that.

All that said, $800 is a bit steep for alternator repair. I would have just taken it to an independent shop for repair but, as mentioned above, make sure you request a Denso reman alternator as a replacement. No cheap parts house electrical parts, otherwise you'll be back in this situation again in a year.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Denso reman alternator as a replacement. No cheap parts house electrical parts, otherwise you'll be back in this situation again in a year.
I agree with John. The work they did wouldn't effect the alternator and make sure to request a denso reman otherwise you will be at it again.

·
Registered
8,170 Posts
If it's at the dealership it will be a Denso reman, just an expensive one.
One would think so, but don't take it for granted.

A recent poster paid almost $800 at the dealer to have the alternator replaced. After 2 consecutive failures and re-replacements, turns out they installed an aftermarket alternator. Most of the $800 bill was (inflated?) labor.

Dave

·
Registered
121 Posts
Are the terminals tight on your new battery. Replaced my alternator months ago and found my + terminal loose. I also needed to shim the + post to tighten the + clamp tight enough.

·
Registered
13,499 Posts
I had the this exact issue after the latest airbag recall. They do have to disconnect the battery to do the recall. If never replaced, the battery cable on these old Odysseys are pretty loose. I had a AAA guy shim mine after we could not even get a good connection to jump start. Battery seemed really weak as it had not been being charged.
So the answer is that the dealer really could have done something to make it seem like your alternator was bad. I doubt it was on purpose. But what you probably need is a new cable or shims.

·
Registered
121 Posts
egads, my airbag was replaced a month before my alternator died, you just confirmed my belief. Thats why I like to do my own repairs when possible. My battery cable could not be tightened enough with the clamp that was on the cable. The Honda tech should have known this and did something about it..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
7 Participants
alphonse
Honda Odyssey Forum
Odyclub community is the #1 forum to discuss all things Honda Odyssey: minivans, safety, service maintenance, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing