Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Short note to share my experience with alternator on our 2004 EXL (207K miles). Replaced brushes, but they would have gone another 100K miles.

We are parents of a college freshman and a high school senior, so I am hoping to get another 100K miles or more out of our 2004 Ody. With that in mind I decided on a list of maintenance items, one of which was to replace the brushes in the alternator. I was replacing the timing belt, drive belts and water pump, so I thought the alternator would be accessible -- and with an 1991 Accord I had the experience of checking the alternator brushes at about this mileage only to find them almost gone.

Two observations: 1) Removal of the alternator is not so easy without removing other items, AND 2) If my experience is general, we have alternator brushes designed for about 300,000 miles. Because I had the brush pack (about $10), I put it in, but there was a lot of life left in the old brushes. I never fully removed the alternator from the engine bay, but removed the back cover and replace d the brush assembly "in place".

Happy motoring !

Mariner4

·
Registered
7,326 Posts
Thanks, mariner. It wasn't at the top of things I wondered about, mainly because I've never had to replace a Honda alternator, ever, in about 16 years of owning Hondas...but I DID wonder how much they could last.

Thanks for the update. It's one less thing to worry about at the timing belt service coming up on both of our Odys.

OF

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Can you provide the source for the brush pack? I never knew those were user serviceable!

How about fuel pump? How many years/miles can it go before stranding? Would it give ample warning?

·
Registered
606 Posts
Good question, but fuel pumps are not user serviceable. I have not found a way to predict failure of these. You can test pressure at the fuel rail periodically for signs of lower pressure. Sometimes pumps won't handle full throttle anymore but can do low speed stuff, thats a sign.

The service manual however does (and this is pretty rare nowadays) detail how to rebuild things like power steering pump, alternator, that sort of thing. Few do this anymore, but I grew up doing our own. At least you know the history of your unit and in that manner its better than a reman that might have a bent shaft, warped case, been driven in salty conditions, bearing issue, stripped threads, wrong size, damage, etc.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Couple of other tips,

Order a 20,000 transmission cooler with the 3/8s size tubing. Install and fill transmission fluid with Amsoil universal synthetic from www.amsoil.com Continue to change out fluid of roughly 3 quarts every 30k.

Trust me, I was a teenager and I've hung around a lot of them. Unless they built this or another car from junk they won't understand what pushing the rpms past 3k does to the transmission nor will they likely listen when you tell them.

ALso, I think the 04 has a filter on it that is replaceable check around for the post.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
It wasn't at the top of things I wondered about, mainly because I've never had to replace a Honda alternator, ever, in about 16 years of owning Hondas...
OF
I've had them go bad on 2 mid 80's Accords and a 92 Civic with close to 200k. I had one rebuilt because of the replacement cost, they said it was common for the windings to short out. The last one I bought used. I've never heard of the brushes going, also haven't seen a starter die on one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts