Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Well, yes, i'm an idiot, but i feel more so now, with Shell 93 pump at ~$5.50 in Raleigh, NC area.

Bit of history with this 2002 Odyssey is, since day 1, been using Shell (exclusive) 93 octane pump, mainly because of that marketing (gimmick???) of benefit of their V-Power Nitro+ 93 fuel.

I didn't think much about (until now, some 20 years later) that 93 octane of knock resistance benefit is really adding benefit to this Odyssey.

But also whether the cleaning additive of Shell 93, is that the only way to get that, while using regular 88 octane.

Anyway, who's (still) using 93 premium gas in 20 years or so old Odyssey?

Thanks much!

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
4,961 Posts
No need to use higher octane. Waste of money IMO. I've always used 87 in my Odyssey, 85 when in higher altitudes. No issues.

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,863 Posts
Thrown in a bottle of Chevron Techron or Gumout Regane or Redline SI-1 once a year and go back down to regular unleaded. Your van won't notice a difference but your wallet sure will.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
4,961 Posts
Thanks.

Are you using, adding any cleaning agent to the gas tank, in some regular fashion?
No. I tried a fuel system cleaner once or twice when the van had less than 50k but I haven't been doing it regularly or anything. I just use mostly top tier fuel from Costco and other top tier stations.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No. I tried a fuel system cleaner once or twice when the van had less than 50k but I haven't been doing it regularly or anything. I just use mostly top tier fuel from Costco and other top tier stations.
Ok, so mid tier 88'ish octane from top tier pump place?

And not the lowest end, 83 regular?

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
4,961 Posts
Ok, so mid tier 88'ish octane from top tier pump place?

And not the lowest end, 83 regular?
Where are you seeing octane numbers like that? Around my area we have 87, 89, and 93, that's it. I go with 87 always as that's what the OM says to use. In higher altitude places like Amarillo, Denver, etc. I go with 85.

Reactions: kitol and gixxer

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Where are you seeing octane numbers like that? Around my area we have 87, 89, and 93, that's it. I go with 87 always as that's what the OM says to use. In higher altitude places like Amarillo, Denver, etc. I go with 85.
Thanks.

Here, where i'm at (Raleigh, NC area), the pump octanes are 87, 89 and 93.

87 regular it is, with annual detergent additives.

Font Screenshot Document Number

·
Registered
2012 EXL. 2013 Touring
476 Posts
Thanks.

Here, where i'm at (Raleigh, NC area), the pump octanes are 87, 89 and 93.

87 regular it is, with annual detergent additives.

View attachment 168811
I do not feel it is necessary to use the 93. Using the 87 is just fine. Do not use the high ethanol content 15% because it may deteriorate some seals and it gives poorer mileage so it does not make it cost effective to use it. As the other person said using a bottle of Techron once in a while will do all the cleaning you need for your injectors and it will remove any water as well. Now, using 93 may give you better mileage and performance, but I don’t think you will save any money.

·
Premium Member
8,581 Posts

Just use 87.

The only time I ever use premium anything is when I have 3,000 lbs. of trailer and stuff on the hitch ball ... and it's really hot outside ... and I have to scale some hills.

OF

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hello,

Well, yes, i'm an idiot, but i feel more so now, with Shell 93 pump at ~$5.50 in Raleigh, NC area.

Bit of history with this 2002 Odyssey is, since day 1, been using Shell (exclusive) 93 octane pump, mainly because of that marketing (gimmick???) of benefit of their V-Power Nitro+ 93 fuel.

I didn't think much about (until now, some 20 years later) that 93 octane of knock resistance benefit is really adding benefit to this Odyssey.

But also whether the cleaning additive of Shell 93, is that the only way to get that, while using regular 88 octane.

Anyway, who's (still) using 93 premium gas in 20 years or so old Odyssey?

Thanks much!
I am a gasoline developer. Unfortunately, premium gasoline contains way more aromatic type compounds(toluene, etc.) than regular gasoline. It's a "dirty" fact of the oil industry. The real reason they put the better additives in premium is to attempt to clean up the additional valve deposits that show up in the BMW test procedure for valve deposits. Sometimes they "forget" to put the additive in.

If your car's ECU has been setup to take advantage of the knock resistance(octane) of the premium, then your engine will be told to run more advance on the ignition, and it will "go faster." Unfortunately again, your honda odyssey ECU has not been setup that way, it's only setup to retard the ignition if the knock sensor encounters "knock." Knock would be caused by sub-standard gasoline less than 86 octane, or a large amount of intake valve deposits in your engine. Valve deposits can be checked by an engine tear-down or "scope" of your engine, which is expensive.

To attempt to clean up the additional intake valve and other deposits in your engine, you simply follow the man's advice above, run only a 86 or 87 octane gasoline, and pour in Techron additive into only 15 gallons of gas in your tank. Run this tank of gas until it's empty. Do this every 3000 miles, or so. Maybe you'll get lucky, and clean up your engine!

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
4,961 Posts
Use TopTier gas and you don't really need any additives.

·
Registered
499 Posts
On my 2002 when running premium personally get 2-3mpg better, less pinging than when i use 87, throttle response is quite a bit better along with cold starts take less cranks

However with gas being so pricey lately ive been running regular at 4.83/gal

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sometime they "forget" to put the additive in at the gasoline distribution rack. We insiders call it foojoojuice. Of course written & computerized records are kept as per the EPA, but with like all else in life, they doctor them. I've visited enough gasoline terminals as national gasoline quality manager to know that the additive injection pump at the gasoline distribution rack is down sometimes. Now you know the inside dope you can only get from a gasoline quality manager and gasoline product developer!

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Run this tank of gas until it's empty.
I think this loosely worded advice may be undercutting your otherwise sound and sensible information. Which agrees with all I learned from petroleum industry people I interacted with for other reasons.

·
Registered
698 Posts
How does one recognize "top tier gas?" All the gas stations around here are convenience stores or clubs -- Sheetz, Speedy, CoGo, GetGo, Cosco, Sam's Club, etc.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts