Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got the touring elite and overall am pleased with this fantastic car. But my husband was looking forward to the Footwell lights and although they are there, you can only see them at night if you shove your head underneath the dashboard next to the gas pedal. I saw another thread earlier about this but felt it was enough of an issue to bring it up as a separate topic. Dealer checked it out and said, "it's working the way it should be." REALLY? You mean I should always lie on my back and peer upwards from the floor to See them? Give me a break! The touring elite is going at luxury car pricing and yet is geared with a blue LED bulb that's dimmer and probably cheaper than one of my Christmas tree bulbs! How can we bring thus to Honda's attention and get it done right?

·
Registered
755 Posts
Tell them to compare your vehicle to their online sample picture. I haven't been to my dealership for it yet but I will soon.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Shouldn't they be at least as bright as the one which shines down from the overhead console? That one you can actually see, I actually figured that the touring didn't even come with them as you can't even see them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I came armed with printed pictures of the lighting from the website and Honda's YouTube video (for the curious it's at 5:15 on the YouTube clip) but because the manufacturer has not recognised it as a defect, the dealership isn't owning up to it. I think it's a shame to ruin your integrity as a dealer/car maker over a light bulb that probable cost all if $2.00, but a lot more in a buyer's trust that they'd stand by their product... Penny wise and pound foolish.

By the way, when I first got the car, I thought I must have misread what came standard on the car re: the lights until I came on this forum and finally decided to crawl under the dash to confirm they actually were there

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
Shazzam said:
Who needs it anyway??
I like to look at my shoes when I drive.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My point is:

Don't advertise what you can't deliver
Don't "tout" as a luxury feature if you can't deliver with excellence.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I was surprised at how dim it was, too.

That said, I think Honda needs to strike a balance between practicality and safety, and they certainly don't want it to be bright enough that it's distracting.

For me, I just want it to be bright enough to see what dropped on the floor when my eyes are adjusted to the dark, and I think it does so sufficiently well.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Re: My point is:

MariepazMD said:
Don't advertise what you can't deliver
Don't "tout" as a luxury feature if you can't deliver with excellence.
I think the ad only exaggerates this feature in order to have it show up in photos. Otherwise, it's just too subtle to point out. Boulder is right, once your eyes adjust to the dark, the ambient light feature is enough to highlight (not "light up") the area.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Re: Re: My point is:

whoa said:
I think the ad only exaggerates this feature in order to have it show up in photos. Otherwise, it's just too subtle to point out. Boulder is right, once your eyes adjust to the dark, the ambient light feature is enough to highlight (not "light up") the area.
However, if you watch the honda youtube video mentioned above, it does light up his foot.

·
Registered
513 Posts
No idea if this is the case, but is it linked to the instrument lights dimmer? If so, does setting that to MAX make it visible?

I had a similar problem on our 07 EX-L for the shifter light as I used* to keep the instrument lights very low and could not see PRND21 light Up.

Edit: I checked the owner manual (PDF here) and the footwell light is controlled by the instrument cluster light dimmer (as is the console light). That could explain why it's low but would also highlight the dealer's cluelessness... :-/ :)

Nicolas

* Girlfriend was getting confused by how the lights would go down when the headlights were on, so now I just keep the instruments at the same high-ish level for both headlights ON and OFF. :)

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Its no exageration, they are simply in sync with the dashboard dimmer. If you want them bright, the dashboard dimmer has to be at the highest setting. I dont recommend driving around with the dash lights at full brightness since in real dark conditions it reduces your night vision.;)

·
Registered
513 Posts
So, MariepazMDa and Boulder_Bum, did fiddling with the instrument lights dimmer get the foot well lights to what you want, or is it still too dim?

Nicolas

·
Registered
161 Posts
Can we change the bulbs to something brighter? Just a thought.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dimmer and footlights

At full bright setting with the dimmer button, you can only see the light if your passenger is wearing white socks and shoes to reflect the light. You know, this is actually a feature you can "add on" to other Honda vehicles at a price tag of over a couple of $100. If it wouldn't invalidate my warranty I would switch out the bulb or lighting mechanism with an aftermarket product. By the way the middle single bulb console light (next to the conversation mirror) is about 5 times brighter and sufficiently lights up a 2x1 foot area between the driver and passenger seats to find incidentals like keys in the dark.

·
Registered
157 Posts
nicomtl said:
So, MariepazMDa and Boulder_Bum, did fiddling with the instrument lights dimmer get the foot well lights to what you want, or is it still too dim?

Nicolas
I never really had reason to complain, but it does indeed change brightness with the rest of the instrument lighting. At one notch below the setting that gets daytime colors on GPS, the light is bright enough that you see everything on the floor when ducking down, so I'm fine with that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
So anyone has a idea how to make honda do something about it?
It was one of my reason why i got my touring elite and i felt i was deceived by honda:(

·
Registered
401 Posts
It was one of my reason why i got my touring elite and i felt i was deceived by honda:(
In my opinion, it's not an item to fret over. Enjoy the other creature comforts. Not trying to minimize your concern but it should be a relatively easy mod to change out the led for a brighter one.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
I guess if it was that big of a deal to you, maybe you should have checked it out prior to purchase. :huh:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I guess if it was that big of a deal to you, maybe you should have checked it out prior to purchase. :huh:
1st- There isnt any problem with driving so maybe it is not a big deal.
2nd-And i checked it with youtube(it was very promising)
I test drove it and bought it during a day time.

I just want let it work way it supose to be
I believe others think that way also thats why they went to a dealer include me.

1 - 20 of 171 Posts