Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much air should be coming out of the lower floor vents? Should it be enough that you actually feel it or is it more like a light leaking amount of air. On my 09, its not much even with the fan turned to high when I have any mixed mode selected. When I select just the lower vent, there is more, but not much. Imagine setting the air to the dash vents only on low fan speed.. thats about the amount of air I get out of the lower when the fan is on high and only the lower is selected. On my 01, I would get a ton of air.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
In most cars, I believe engineers design the floor vent in such a way that its flow is somewhat restricted. This is because they don't want your foot to freeze in the summer when the AC is on.

Now, if you find your Ody floor vent is weak, look underneath, you will see a fenestrated cover. You may want to use a drill to drill the holes bigger.
Or use a utility knife to cut some holes.

·
Registered
252 Posts
The sytem is designed during 'Auto', it directs most warm air to windshield during cold weather to keep it free of frost and moisture. The lower should be enough to keep you feet warm or at least my '08 has no problem.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
depends :) on a quick trip to get coffee its just flip flops.. top half is burning, feet are freezing :)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Another "design feature" on the Ody van is the weak air flow from the lower floor vents at all fan speeds.
Other cars I owned never had this "feature".

On cold days, the extremities (ie. fingers and toes) are quite cold.
So it is important to push as much hot air as possible to the hands and the feet.
That means hot air needs to go to both dash vents and floor vents.

But the Ody can only push a small amount of air to the floor vents.
So, it takes a surprisingly long time to warm up the cold feet in the Ody.

On a hot day, the head and the torso need to be cooled off, so a lot of cold air should come out of the dashboard vents. The floor vents are not really needed on hot days.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Our 2010 EXL has terrible airflow to the footwells. In really cold temps ( 25F and below) it takes forever to feel any heat down there. IN fact airflow all around is pretty terrible. The flow to the windshield is equally poor.The center vents on the dash cant direct heat to the steering wheel since they are blocked by the gear lever. Whoever designed these at Honda should be sweeping the floors as punishment. Our old 2002 had MUCH better airflow.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Our 2010 EXL has terrible airflow to the footwells. In really cold temps ( 25F and below) it takes forever to feel any heat down there. IN fact airflow all around is pretty terrible. The flow to the windshield is equally poor.The center vents on the dash cant direct heat to the steering wheel since they are blocked by the gear lever. Whoever designed these at Honda should be sweeping the floors as punishment. Our old 2002 had MUCH better airflow.
1. Air flow (cubic feet per min) is in fact not bad at all.
My 2007 Ody Fan output (in CFM) is much better than my 1998 BMW 528i.
The Ody fan puts out quite a bit of air.

2. The Heater Core temp is another issue.
The factory thermostat is on the "cool" side 78C.
This is insufficient heat for winter.

I got rid of the factory thermostat and installed a Motorad 82C thermostat ($14). The difference is huge in terms of heat output.
It is in the DIY:

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/52-2005-2010-odyssey/42181-factory-oem-thermostat-changed-82-deg-c-motorad-thermostat.html

1 - 10 of 10 Posts