Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When installing an amp to a factory head unit, what wire should I tape into for the remote wire that turns on the amp? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i'm going to dig up the corpse :)
mods like to send people searching, so i did, but no answer

does anyone know which wire to use for remote
trying to figure out how to put KTP-445u behind the head unit of 09 ex-l w/res

alpine rep told me i'm SOL and need to tap ingnition
if anyone's done that please advice

thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
found my answer at bestbuy
it's the accessory wire in the middle of the harness
plus ktp-445u is auto-sensing when it come to speaker level inputs :)
should have read the fineprint

·
Registered
489 Posts
found my answer at bestbuy
it's the accessory wire in the middle of the harness
plus ktp-445u is auto-sensing when it come to speaker level inputs :)
should have read the fineprint
That's the slim & compact Alpine ktp-445U I'm aiming for to fit
behind the OEM deck. Please let me know how you like it....

TIA!

·
Registered
8 Posts
love it!
no remote wire needed for sure

i was able to put JBL p662's in the front, polk mm651 in the back
both required some easy extra drilling as they are 6.5"
jbl 1 extra hole in the metal mounting ring, polks 2 holes in the plastic surround
crutchfield 5.25" adaptor was needed to level out the back holes, plus a very minor modification of some door cord mounting clip to avoid drilling 3 holes for the polks

there's not too much room behind the head unit (mine's a 6 disk)
it may have fit, but i didn't want to make a complete rat's nest out the wires there to avoid noise and all...
so i rigged a harness out of 2 metra honda plugs male and female ( let me know if you need the part numbers), extended the inputs (were the RCAs get cut off the amp's harness) to match the outs, ran the non speaker wire straight from male to female, and was able to do a relatively plug-and-play install, only 2 wires were not in the female harness for some reason, so i ran them straight from the factory male to the new male

now my INs and OUTs were the same length and long enough to let me mount the amp below the steering wheel, there is big enough metal pocket there , i guess it's used for power pedals on the touring
it mounted almost vertically with the thin side toward the cabin

power pedals plug in the fuse box is also were i got the power via an add a circuit (those things are rated 10 amps and the amp needs 15, but i verified with the manufacturer, they said they're playing safe in case it's a live circuit, if idle it can handle anything the circuit is rated for , 20amps in power pedal's case) with 15amp fuse on the amp side

my inputs also had a split off unamplified feed for the kicker 11hs8 hideaway sub that i put under the small third row seat
power wire for the amp runs through the left fender, out at the door opening and into the rubber grommet of the door harness, comes inside right behind the driver side fuse box

the amp works very good, left it at about 25% at which it easily doubles the volume and helps the aftermarket speakers A LOT, brings them to life
part of the reason why i left the gain that low is because i'm running stock tweeters (for now), and those suckers distort way too easy

sorry if this more info than you needed, but may be i'll be useful for others too
oh and this was for 2009 EX-L w/RES, BTW

·
Registered
489 Posts
love it!

the amp works very good, left it at about 25% at which it easily doubles the volume and helps the aftermarket speakers A LOT, brings them to life
part of the reason why i left the gain that low is because i'm running stock tweeters (for now), and those suckers distort way too easy

sorry if this more info than you needed, but may be i'll be useful for others too
oh and this was for 2009 EX-L w/RES, BTW
abirvalg,

You have provided great information & things I wanted to hear on the Alpine 445U, I know needed one to power my speakers.
Will probably do this project in the summer....

about the tweeters: now days tweeters are pretty cheap to replace with good ones.

Thanks again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts