Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I installed the pioneer 1695's in the front of the honda and they improved the sound significantly. However, the power to support the music is still significantly lacking.

Thereby, I wish to boost the signal coming off the head unit or replace the unit itself.
I would like to keep the factory installed look. Also I'll be replacing the rear speakers.

So please help me with the following questions:

What should I do about increasing the power to all 4 channels? I want a clean signal to the speakers.
What manufacturer of the suggested power increase should I look at?
How much would this cost, and if I go with a separate amplifier I would likely have a pro-shop install it.
What would the total install cost?

On purchasing the Odyssey I originally planned on putting about $500 into the sound system.

Thanks for your responses, past, present and future.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rp95se:

So please help me with the following questions:

What should I do about increasing the power to all 4 channels? I want a clean signal to the speakers.
</font>
If you are very satisfied with the sound QUALITY, and just want louder, add the outboard amp. If you want CLEANER, more dynamic SIGNAL, you need to start by getting an aftermarket source unit. Then look at adding an aftermarket amp in addition as a next step.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
What manufacturer of the suggested power increase should I look at?
</font>
Many reputable brands, but be weary of power specs, they are very deceptive. (@12V/14.xV?, full bandwidth/1KHz?, max/RMS, IHF 202?, IASCA/USAC?, blah, blah.....) Higher end brands test VERY conservatively. A good, real, 25-50W/Ch on mains is plenty for most; you won't ever need more than 75W/Ch.

I like higher end brands such as: Phoenix Gold, Precision Power, ADS, Soundstream, Zapco, McIntosh. OK, maybe too much for you.

Mid range I like Alpine. Great power/price ratio, and good SQ overall. Brands such as Sony, Pioneer, Kenwood are fine too. As long as they are well known, reputable.
I tend to stay away from brands such as Jensen, Profile, though they would probably work fine.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
How much would this cost, and if I go with a separate amplifier I would likely have a pro-shop install it.
What would the total install cost?
</font>
Amp, anywhere from $150 to $1000+.
Install, depends. I estimate $25-$60, depending on the installer and the difficulty.

If you keep your factory head unit, be sure you get an amp that has speaker level inputs as well as the standard line/RCA inputs (or has a very wide input range to accept either).

Good Luck

------------------
-SJ (former username: shinjohn)
'01 DEP EX, and I'm workin' on it! (slowly)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts