Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, folks, long time no post.
To recall, I own a 2000 Odyssey EX, with 95K on it.

Here's what's going on:

1. Knocking under even the slightest of acceleration, or full acceleration, and everything, while in gear and under load. It happens while going up hills, down the street, in the parking lot, anything to do with acceleration and being under even the slightest bit of a load, gets louder as you load it more.

1A. Doesn't matter what temp it is, although it's a bit louder when it's colder....or maybe not.

1B. It feels like there's a bit of surging under acceleration, like what I've seen other Ody owners here mention when they've had problems with the EGR valve/valve passage. Another something I've noticed is that the knocking disappears, slightly, during these moments of surging.

1C. In neutral or park, I can rev it to 5K rpm....no knocking.

Is it possible that the surging is related to the knocking, or is my bottom end about to explode in a titanic fireball? I haven't checked oil pressure yet, but in almost every other engine that I've worked on, with bearing issues....knocking doesn't appear while only under a load.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
First thing to check is the EGR valve. Remove and clean, or remove and replace, and clean the passage.

An EGR valve which is stuck closed can indeed cause knocking, and if you haven't had it serviced in the life of the van, its not unlikely to be a problem. That said, we are at 113k in our 2002, and the EGR hasn't ever been serviced.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Check to see if the EGR port is clogged, remove EGR with motor cool place your finger over the square opening (this is the one leading to the intake manifold) should have strong vacuum there with motor at idle. This does not mean the EGR is good but will let you know the port is not plugged as there was a tsp (search you will find it) on this port being a problem. I also have a 2000 and have found it useful to treat it with Seafoam I do this by slowly pouring it through this port you may want to plug the round port with a rag to quite the exhaust as that port is into the exhaust manifold, have an assistant in the van to keep it running as it will want to stall. Run about a third to half can in and then shut the motor off for 10 minutes, pour the rest of that can and another full can into the gas tank (full gas tank). When you restart the engine be ready for a LOT of SMOKE as the Seafoam cleans the carbon from the manifold and back side to your valves. The Seafoam in the tank does a real good job on the fuel injectors try to take a few long trips and let the gas get well below a quarter tank before refilling. I did this just before a long trip 160 miles this summer and what a difference it has made I fell the difference each time I go to accelerate. My check engine light keep coming on telling me the EGR passage was blocked and I was not going to pass inspection as it would come back each time I reset the error, my vacuum was fine and I had replaced the EGR valve twice, had to reset the light twice when we got our destination, that was 3 months ago, the error has not returned and I will use the Seafoam at least every 5k or so. To use Seafoam in this manor it is important to use 1.5 to 2 oz per gallon of gas.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/how-to-use-sea-foam-motor-treatment.html

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
+1 for the EGR. It can really lean out the fuel mixture past the point where the computer can overcome it by retarding the timing. I think you are describing "pinging" (or preignition) as opposed to a knock caused for example by a bad bearing. The latter would be very rare with this engine. Prolonged pinging is very hard on an engine - follow up as soon as possible.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts