Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2002 Odyssey, original tranny, with 485,000 kilometres or 298,000 miles has developed some transmission symptoms. First obvious symptom is a whine when the van is first started in the morning. Successive starts throughout the day and the whine does not happen. Once started the van drives, shifts, and sounds normal. The second symptom is a delay in van movement of approx 3 seconds when put into drive, the delay may be a bit less when putting into reverse. Again the van drives normal other than these symptoms. There is a vibration felt in the van that I first blamed on drive axles but that was ruled out. I did check fluid level after driving the vehicle and an accurate level is hard to determine, it seems the fluid is close to the bottom hole on the dipstick. The check was performed with the vehicle running on level ground. The van check engine light is not lit idicating a code is present. I went to local service guy who suggested due to the age a rebuild is likely going to be needed, he recommeded I stop at the local transmission shop and talk to them. The local tranny shop checked the level and suggested it might be a touch low but not bad, the fluid was clean and did not smell bad. He also said even changing or adding fluid would not likely change the symptoms and again suggested a re manufactured unit was likely needed. I don't want to spend the money on a re manufactured unit but I would spend on some less expensive diagnostics or repairs if they would keep me going for a year. I was surprised the tranny shop didn't offer to diagnose further but I just figure they think the tranny is on its way out.. I have changed the fluid regularly since I bought it new in 2002, the tranny has had the fluid jet recall done on it as I remember 1 or 2 pressure switches were changed on the tranny some years ago. Any advice is appreciated. Hopefully an Ody eulogy is not forthcoming. Yet!

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
First obvious symptom is a whine when the van is first started in the morning. Successive starts throughout the day and the whine does not happen.
A whine is usually caused by a bad shaft bearing, or less likely a bad ATF pump. Fixing it would entail a rebuild, although it would require a skilled rebuilder to find and properly fix a bad case bearing if that's the cause.

Given the high mileage (klickage?), I would just keep driving it (and keep maintaining the ATF).

it seems the fluid is close to the bottom hole on the dipstick. The check was performed with the vehicle running on level ground.
The correct method to check the ATF level is engine hot, parked level, and engine OFF. Fluid should be between the dots.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts