Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, new member here. We bought our EX-L new and have kept up with all maintenance, and the vehicle now has about 115K miles on it. Over the years, we have noticed a bit of oil consumption between oil changes but never more than a quart until two months ago in early July. While turning into my neighborhood one day, the van suddenly lost power (I've heard it called limp mode) and the check engine light came on. While waiting for the tow truck, I decided to check the oil and it did not register on the dip stick at all. We were 4000 miles past the previous oil change and I admit I had not been monitoring oil level during that time. Our trustworthy independent mechanic found that the oil was 3 quarts low and that the P3400 computer code was active. After refilling the oil, the code would not clear and he said the code indicated the VTEC solenoid was stuck, timing was hampered, and the oil pressure switch was bad. We went with his recommendation to replace the pressure switch and change the oil, which then allowed the P3400 code to clear. He printed out the TSB 11-033 for me, which talks about the VCM system contributing to oil consumption. He recommended that we begin monitoring the oil level closely and that if we saw a high rate of consumption to take it to the dealership for "reprogramming" of the VCM system. The van ran fine after this service, and we began checking the oil weekly. We noted no drop in oil level whatsoever until about 2 weeks ago, so that was 6 weeks and about 800 miles with no loss of oil. Over the last 200 miles or so, however, it has lost 0.75 quart. I have called two Honda dealerships in my area and described the problem, and both have immediately said we likely need a piston ring job to the tune of $3000. When I asked, one of them did say something about it maybe needing a programming update. Both Honda places said the first step would be to come in and have a full diagnostic workup (~$100). I'm leery of this, however, since I know what code was active back in July (P3400) and it has run fine ever since the oil change although we are observing oil loss. Also, I'm not sure what motivation the dealership would have to tell me anything OTHER than the van needs an expensive ring job, or offer to take it off my hands for a low price on a trade-in. I talked to another independent mechanic who is a former Honda tech and he recommended starting by adding something called BG EPR to the oil to clear out deposits, then doing an oil change and watching for improvement in oil consumption. It's odd to me that the oil consumption seems to occur in fits and starts. Since we weren't checking, I don't know if our 3 quart oil loss back before this last oil change occured slowly over time or suddenly. Is there an inexpensive, objective way to tell for sure whether or not the piston rings need to be replaced? I'd love to hear experienced folks thoughts on our situation. Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
520 Posts
Besides the oil burning, does the car run fine?

It's very hard to say whether the piston rings are fine or not.

Here's a recent thread I recommend you read through:

Install a VCM Muzzler ASAP and see if the oil burning goes away. Get the spark plugs changed, they were supposedly due at 105K anyway.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Next time, break up your long paragraph into smaller ones, as it makes it easier to read and follow.

Try and monitor the type of driving you do, such as city or highway, and did if it burned oil on a long high speed trip.

Also, you can Muzzle the VCM to prevent the oil rings from clogging up more, and you might even eventually clear the rings.

Finally, as you ran this van three quarts low for who knows how long, I woudn't put much money into the engine.

Remember, as long as you monitor the oil and keep it topped up, you should be fine for a long, long time. Just don't over react and start dumping money into the van.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. Yes, the van runs completely fine other than consuming oil. No noticeable misfiring. The spark plugs were changed at 97K miles.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Just read the title only.

Recall fix is temporary. Disabling VCM is the permanent fix.

Disable VCM, run a few cans of fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank and drive the van hard, this is aka the Italian tune up. Your oil burning issues should be relieved.

Also check the PCV valve.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
520 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Yes, the van runs completely fine other than consuming oil. No noticeable misfiring. The spark plugs were changed at 97K miles.
If you read the other thread, I think your problems are similar to the other poster's. However, you had more severe oil burning, while she had fouled spark plugs. They are related, and both caused by VCM.

Definitely put a VCM Muzzler on the car and see where that goes. My guess is your oil burning will reduce significantly. As stated above, I would be reluctant to put too much money into your engine as you had driven it 3 quarts low - very bad for the engine internals.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Muzzle you VCM. That’s all you need to do.
VCMTuner II

·
Registered
80 Posts
I wish Honda were forced to read all these customer stories. Shameless pursuit of corporate agenda at the expense of car owners.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
460 Posts
I wish Honda were forced to read all these customer stories. Shameless pursuit of corporate agenda at the expense of car owners.
They can read it all they want. Doesn't change the fact that the regulations make them use VCM, and unless the regulations change, they're not dropping VCM.

·
Registered
80 Posts
They can read it all they want. Doesn't change the fact that the regulations make them use VCM, and unless the regulations change, they're not dropping VCM.
I don't think so. Regulators impose MPG goals and incentives. The horrible solution is on Honda.
And , say , as a customer I would go with a car that makes less MPG , costs more but won't crap out on me at 100K which is really nothing by today's standards.

And reputation is easy to lose, hard to gain. I will never go with Honda again.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
460 Posts
In the end, it'd be best if we didn't have the regulations at all, with no solution needed.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
520 Posts
I think most consumers wouldn't mind the 1mpg loss without VCM (we obviously don't). But, Honda would get hit with taxes and fines by the government.

I'm not against incentivizing better MPG. Less fuel consumption is badly needed in today's age. But there needs to be smart solutions to this. Forcing manufacturers to make cars that get 1mpg better but only last half as long isn't helping the environment.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
460 Posts
I think most consumers wouldn't mind the 1mpg loss without VCM (we obviously don't). But, Honda would get hit with taxes and fines by the government.

I'm not against incentivizing better MPG. Less fuel consumption is badly needed in today's age. But there needs to be smart solutions to this. Forcing manufacturers to make cars that get 1mpg better but only last half as long isn't helping the environment.
But it's still clearly possible to have both ways, considering Toyota has done it.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Hello all vehicle burn oil .

That being said just disable vcm its your cheapest solution.

Here is how to install. It is very easy anyone can do it . If you question if you can . I ask you this have you ever assembled a table or dresser . Bingo you can do this .

·
Registered
173 Posts
Too bad the CAFE standards don't include how much oil gets burned per mile. :LOL:

Reactions: MrRangerZr1

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I don't think so. Regulators impose MPG goals and incentives. The horrible solution is on Honda.
And , say , as a customer I would go with a car that makes less MPG , costs more but won't crap out on me at 100K which is really nothing by today's standards.

And reputation is easy to lose, hard to gain. I will never go with Honda again.
That goes for us also, we’ve always bought Honda but won’t be buying another one again.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts