Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first post :)
I have spent certain time going through post about the DEPAX options, it seems that those TL, RL rim favored by most members here have a different tire width than the standard odyssey tire, which is 235. For example the RL is 245. I am okay with larger diameter rim and lower aspect ratio, but don't quite like the idea of wider tires.
Is there any other oem options that can maintain the same overall tire size?

Planning to get a 06 touring this weekend, any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
120 Posts
As it turns out, TPMS sensors are identical for the following cars from Honda/Acura.
Odyssey Touring 2005-2007
Ridgeline 2006-2008
Pilot 2006-2008
MDX 2006
RL 2006-2008
TL 2006-2008
There may be more years than listed above but those years are for sure. So, if you get wheels from any vehicle listed above, the TPMS should work with the Odyssey Touring. Not all the cars listed share the same bolt pattern. However, the Odyssey, RL and the Ridgeline does. So my thought is purchase new aftermarket wheels for the Ridgeline, get TPMS for the Ridgeline and then buy tires that is more suited for the Odyssey.

As we know, Tirerack won't even talk to you if you tell them that you have an Odyssey Touring. But what if you tell them you have a 2006 Ridgeline. Order 17" or 18" Ridgeline wheels, order the TPMS sensor for the 2006 Ridgeline then order tires size that is more suited for the Odyssey. Tirerack will warn you that the tire size you ordered is not the recommended size for the Ridgeline but if you tell them you know and still want that size, they will sell them to you. Fortunately, the Ridgeline tire size and the Odyssey tire size is fairly close so it won't seem too odd to Tirerack. Now we know that the Ridgeline wheels fit the Odyssey without a problem. We seen several post in this thread as other threads that that has been done.

I've already done this. I ordered from Tirerack 18" wheels for a 2006 Ridgeline, ordered the TPMS also for the 2006 Ridgeline and got tires sized more appropriate for the Odyssey. Everything fits like a charm. Even the TPMS synced up with my Touring after about 5 minutes of driving. Now I have a depax set of wheels for way less than I would have paid for a new set of PAX Michelins from the stealership. I'll post some pictures when I get a chance.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply!
it checked using tirerack web site, 06 odyssey should be using 235/65/16. Now assuming i am picking a 17" wheel for ridgeline, the default size is 245/65/17, but you mentioned i should choose the tire that is closer in dimension to the oem size, so i should buy 235/60/17 ?
Also, can i reuse the TPMS sensor in the PAX wheel?

Seems like many people chose 18", is it due to appearance or there's some benefit i don;t see? I've been having an impression that smaller diameter tire is cheaper, and since this van is not sport purpose, why not stick with oem size.

Sorry so many questions. :)

·
Registered
372 Posts
235/60/17 will work just fine.

·
Registered
120 Posts
This is the list of recommended tire size for the Odyssey:
16" rims - 235/65R16
17" rims - 235/60R17
18" rims - 235/55R18

I think a lot of people chose 18" wheels for the look of it. The logic is "if you are going to spend some money for a new set of wheels, why not make it look nice instead of just plain boring". I personally got the 18" rims model Sport Edition TX5 and then got BFGoodrich Radial T/A tire size 245/55R18. It's slightly bigger than the recommended size but it still works fine. The reason for that tire is that it was $78 each, whereas the cheapest 235/55R18 tires were $129 each. That's $50 difference per tire so I opted for the cheaper option. Just keep in mind that Tirerack will call you to warn you that the tire size you chose isn't the recommended tire size for the Ridgeline but if you tell them you know and still want it, they will sell it to you. I think they just want to CYA.

As for the TPMS sensors, you can use the old ones from the PAX wheels but you have to get a tire shop to remove it from the PAX wheel and then install it to your new wheel. Once installed, then you would have to rebalance the wheel again. Plus, the TPMS sensors has a battery life of 6-8 years. Of course, the tire shop will charge you for that labor . . . my guess is that it would be $20 per tire/wheel or more. New TPMS sensors from Tirerack was $28 each for a $112 for the set and they installed everything and balanced everything for free before shipping it to me. Since it's new, I don't have to worry about the battery in the sensors dying anytime soon.

Ultimately, what you do it up to you. I chose this route because it made the most sense to me. I'll keep the PAX wheels intact and someday when I sell the Odyssey, I'll put the PAX back on and then sell the non-PAX on ebay or craiglist and recover some cost.

Hope this helps. I'm happy to answer any more questions.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Here are some pictures of my '06 Odyssey Touring with new wheels from Tirerack. The wheels are Sport Edition TX5 18" and the tires are BFGoodrich Radial T/A size 245/55R18. The wheels are flush with the body and will the wheel well much better. I always thought that the OEM wheels were too small and too sunken in into the body.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pacanes:
I was looking at TX5 at tirerack too, too bad the 17" is sold out for the season. I checked most tires fiting the 18" rim, they are generally more expensive than the 17" one. But since I can get BFGoodrich Radial T/A size 245/55R18 for $73, I am thinking may be I should go for 18". One thing I'm wondering is that the recommended width of odyssey is 235, this one is 245, is it going to be fine? Will mpg affected by the increase in tire width?

What do you think about Sport Edition TK1 and Sport Edition SX?

By the way, i just got my 06 touring yesterday, the PAX seems like having another couple thousands miles left before i need to change them out. Wondering if i should wait to purchase later orshould take the discount price right now... so many decisions need to make.:)

Thanks for the photos and responses.

·
Registered
120 Posts
First of all, congrats on your 06 Touring! Except for the PAX, I've enjoyed mine and I'm sure you will too.

Let me answer your questions in order.
As for 17" vs 18", yes, generally the 18" tires will be more expensive. With that said, I like the look of the 18" better. The 2011 Touring model comes with 18" wheels. I guess the people at Honda thought that 18" wheels look better as well and included them on their top tier Odyssey. And the BFGoodrich tires are way cheaper than even the 16" tires right now. I've had absolutely no trouble with the BFGoodrich. They ride nicer and is much more quiet than the PAX. The Odyssey recommended size is 235. However, I've read on this forum where people have used 245 and 255 without problems. Here is the dimension breakdown between the 3 tire sizes:

235/60R17 Diameter 28.1", 740 revs per mile, Actual speed 60mph, speedo reading 60mph
235/55R18 Diameter 28.17" 738.3 revs per mile, Actual speed 60 mph, speedo reading 59.8mph
245/55R18 Diameter 28.6", 727 revs per mile, Actual speed 60mph, speedo reading 58.9mph

So the difference in diameter between the 17" and the 245 BFGoodrich is 1.79%, or the speedo will read 1.815% slower than actual speed. That means that your odometer will read 1.815% less than actual miles travelled as well. I say that's a small bonus. Also, 1.8% is well within the recommended tire size variation of less than 3%. As for MPG, it will be off as well by 1.8% but I'm willing to accept that. You can see that the 235 18" tires are almost identical to the 17", thus the recommended size.
I'm not a math wiz or tire guru. I just plugged in these tire sizes on this website to get this info:
Tire Size Calculator - tire & wheel plus sizing

The Sport Edition SX is nice. Looks like Tirerack has very few stock of 17" but have plenty of 18". Plus the 18" is cheaper (on sale). I've seen other people's photos on this forum with those wheels and it looks similar to the stock PAX wheels. The TK1 looks to me like they belong on a truck, not so much on a minivan. However, I've seen pictures on this forum with those wheels as well. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Either should work fine. I chose the TX5 because I'm a sucker for 5 spokes and also, it looks to be much easier to clean than the other 2.

As to when to buy, that's completely up to you. Stuff may go on sale, go off sale. They may get more stock or run out for the season. You never know. I had no choice when I bought. My PAX where bald and quite frankly, getting dangerous, especially when it rained.

Good luck in your decision making. I'm happy to answer any more questions and help out a fellow Odyssey owner.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah i thought of that too, less spoke = easier cleaning.
OK, if 245 have no problem when the van is fully poaded and turning the steering lock to lock, then i will go for it.
If i order from tirerack, it ask me for a vehicle linking to the tire and rim, show i choose 06 Ridgeline or 06 Odyssey EX? I remember you said they will contact the customer to make sure we are awared of the discrepancy.

Also, wondering if i want to get a set of all season floormat, should i go for OEM or aftermarket (weathertech)? After viewing several threads, seems like weathertech is highly recommended by most members here.
If I go for weathertech, should i buy from those seller listed in this forum or directly go to the weathertech site?

Sorry to bring up an old question, if i remove the center console on my touring, can i fit the 8th seat i got from another EX-L? I mean will the 8th seat fit into the bracket on the floor? I searched among many threads, some said yes some said no.

Also, all my other cars have oem HID, i suppose it takes a while for me to adjust to the halogen lamp on odyssey while driving at night, do you guys find the stock headlight provide enough illumination on the road? I must admit the fog light helps.

Wow, didn't realize i have asked so many question, remind me when i were in primary school, i kept asking my teacher question to the point that, she had to put me on "Question Diet", so i can only ask so many question per day.

You guys have been very helpful :)
Thanks a lot again.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'll try to answer as many as I can:

Yeah i thought of that too, less spoke = easier cleaning.
OK, if 245 have no problem when the van is fully poaded and turning the steering lock to lock, then i will go for it.

No problem lock to lock with the 245. Not sure what you mean by fully loaded. I had 6 adults with no problem. Does that count?

If i order from tirerack, it ask me for a vehicle linking to the tire and rim, show i choose 06 Ridgeline or 06 Odyssey EX? I remember you said they will contact the customer to make sure we are awared of the discrepancy.

06 Odyssey EX did not have TPMS. 07 EX did but the sensors are different and won't work with Touring. Which sensors work with which cars goes back to my earlier post on this thread. I suppose you can order as an 06 Odyssey EX and ask for the 06 Ridgeline TPMS to be installed but that seems stranger to me than just ordering for the Ridgeline and getting a slightly different tire size. Tell them you want the BFGoodrich because the price is so much better and the slight size discrepency is something you can live with. That's what I did and that satisfied them.

Also, wondering if i want to get a set of all season floormat, should i go for OEM or aftermarket (weathertech)? After viewing several threads, seems like weathertech is highly recommended by most members here.
If I go for weathertech, should i buy from those seller listed in this forum or directly go to the weathertech site?

I bought mine directly from Weathertech. Best floor mats money can buy. I have them in all my cars. It's wet and messy a lot here in Seattle. If you can find them for a better price other than Weathertech directly, then go for it. I couldn't when I bought mine. Also, it's much better than the all-weather stuff Honda sells.

Sorry to bring up an old question, if i remove the center console on my touring, can i fit the 8th seat i got from another EX-L? I mean will the 8th seat fit into the bracket on the floor? I searched among many threads, some said yes some said no.

Don't know. I suppose the only way be sure is to just try it. Logic would dictate that it would. The Touring just got the center console instead of the 8th seat but the mounting brackets on the floor should be the same. On the EX, you can get a center console as an option so I would think it would work in reverse for the seat in the Touring.

Also, all my other cars have oem HID, i suppose it takes a while for me to adjust to the halogen lamp on odyssey while driving at night, do you guys find the stock headlight provide enough illumination on the road? I must admit the fog light helps.

Plenty of light with the fogs on. I've seen other thread where people upgraded to HID conversion kits, but that is for another thread research

Wow, didn't realize i have asked so many question, remind me when i were in primary school, i kept asking my teacher question to the point that, she had to put me on "Question Diet", so i can only ask so many question per day.

Lucky you're not in primary school anymore. I don't mind the questions at all. Glad to help a fellow Odyssey owner.

You guys have been very helpful :)
Thanks a lot again.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Hi. Would say that 245/55/18 would give you a better ride comfort versus 235/55/18 - specially when going over bumps? Just wondering... Thanks.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Don't know for sure. I never had the 235/55R18 so can't really compare. However the 245 have a slightly taller sidewall and larger diameter and thus may absorb the bumps a little better but that's just my guess. I think the tire brand and model probably makes a bigger difference. You can read from Tirerack that for exact same size tire but different brand and model, features vary widely. All I can say with any certainty is that it rides much better than the PAX it replaced.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If i buy your wheel (Sport Edition TX5 18), i will definitely buy the BFG tire on sale at the moment, but later on, can i switch back to the recommended size for the van which is 235/55R18 listed above?
If yes, does it means that we can mount different tire size (of course within certain range) safely on the same wheel?

You are right Pacanes, it seems the low beam on odyssey is sufficient for night driving, but i have noticed that switching on fog light or not doesn't make much of a difference, seems like the fog light is aimed very close to the vehicle, at least this is the case for my van. I know the bumper on my car has been replaced by the dealer, wonder if the misaligned the fog light...?

·
Registered
120 Posts
You can put any size tire later on when the BFGoodrich wear out. But considering that the UTQG is 620, it will probably last a long while. My next tire will either be the same or something else in 235/55R18 size. I'll decide at that time.

Low beam is quite brite and the fogs add a little for your peripheral but not much for distance. Mine is the same as yours. If the bumper was replaced by the dealer, I would bet that it was done right using original Honda parts. But again, there are several threads on this forum where people upgraded to aftermarket HID conversion kits and had good success. I'm satisfied with mine the way it is.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hi xers,

If you really would like to get 235/55R18 size tire, check out this link:

CP521 - OnlineTires.com

It's a tire shop in So.Cal in Cerritos. Pickup at the warehouse is free. It's the best price I've seen for that size tire at $94.95 each. Don't know anything about that tire or that Nexen brand so don't ask. I figure you can get wheels and TPMS from Tirerack and then pick up these tires at this place in Cerritos. I'm assuming you live within reasonable distance to Cerritos. Cheapest price for 235/60R17 is $77.66.

CP521 - OnlineTires.com

Also Nexen brand and model. It's just a thought since you seem very hesitant about the 245 BFGoodrich.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Pacanes:
Thanks pal, appreciate your help!
I live in Los Angeles area so, definitely within driving distance of Cerritos, you nlived in So.Cal before?

Just checked the link, good thing about the tire:
1) H rating, btter than most others which has a T rating. Well, i suppose i will never drive faster than 85mph in the van
2) AA dry traction?
3) good price, probably don't have to pay tax if i pay cash... sorry being cheap here.

But:
360 wear rating? compare to the BFG you suggested is day and night, well all my previous tire is below 320, so i really shouldn't complain.

I will probably buy it from tirerack before summer, since they install tpms, balance, mounted the tire, and shipped it to my front door, i just need to bring to any shop and install them, then alignment and all done.
Sometimes i don't get it, how come 18" is cheaper than 17" on tirerack for some wheels? I suppose supply demand...

Oh yeah, off topic, i just got a set of tires for my Acura 05 TL, Hankook v12 Evo, there's a 60 rebate from hankook going on, with free shipping, it's a very good deal.
I have pepboys price match them with additional 5% saving, withh tax is $608 -$60 (rebate, hopefully i can get it) = $548. This include mounting, balancing, alignment and extra warranty coverage beyong the manufacturer warranty. Pepboys usually have buy 3 get 1 free deal with rebate, but i don't want to wait for a big fat $130 rebate, so i ask them to price match.
The ride is very good, pretty quiet, close to the expensive german continental DW.

Also, the past weekend, i picked up a +1 2nd row seat off a member of this forum for a decent price, exact the color i wanted.

Love this forum.:DD love you guys, so many friendly and helpful peoples.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Pacanes:
Thanks pal, appreciate your help!
I live in Los Angeles area so, definitely within driving distance of Cerritos, you nlived in So.Cal before?

Just checked the link, good thing about the tire:
1) H rating, btter than most others which has a T rating. Well, i suppose i will never drive faster than 85mph in the van
2) AA dry traction?
3) good price, probably don't have to pay tax if i pay cash... sorry being cheap here.

But:
360 wear rating? compare to the BFG you suggested is day and night, well all my previous tire is below 320, so i really shouldn't complain.

I will probably buy it from tirerack before summer, since they install tpms, balance, mounted the tire, and shipped it to my front door, i just need to bring to any shop and install them, then alignment and all done.
Sometimes i don't get it, how come 18" is cheaper than 17" on tirerack for some wheels? I suppose supply demand...

Oh yeah, off topic, i just got a set of tires for my Acura 05 TL, Hankook v12 Evo, there's a 60 rebate from hankook going on, with free shipping, it's a very good deal.
I have pepboys price match them with additional 5% saving, withh tax is $608 -$60 (rebate, hopefully i can get it) = $548. This include mounting, balancing, alignment and extra warranty coverage beyong the manufacturer warranty. Pepboys usually have buy 3 get 1 free deal with rebate, but i don't want to wait for a big fat $130 rebate, so i ask them to price match.
The ride is very good, pretty quiet, close to the expensive german continental DW.

Also, the past weekend, i picked up a +1 2nd row seat off a member of this forum for a decent price, exact the color i wanted.

Love this forum.:DD love you guys, so many friendly and helpful peoples.
I grew up in L.A. Had friends that were from Cerritos. Seattle is my home now. Miss the weather and some friends but not the traffic and smog.

I just got a confirmation from another member name jonnywanabe in Redondo Beach that did the same thing I did. Do a quick search for his member name and you can read all the details for yourself. He followed my example and ordered from Tirerack. Same wheels except he/she sprung for the more expensive Kumho Solus KL21 in 235/55R18. Nice tires. V rated, eco rolling for better gas mileage, Temp A, Traction A, Treadwear 500. But at $159 each, I couldn't stomach them, especially knowing that I can get the BFGoodrich for half that price. Besides, the original PAX is T rated and the original Michelin LX4 for the EX model is also T rated. Top speed rating for T is 118mph, whereas H is 130mph. Either way, that's scary fast for a minivan. V rating is 149mph. Can the Odyssey even go that fast???

You can always just get the wheels and TPMS from Tirerack and get the tires at your leisure waiting for some sale, like at Pepboys. Just a thought.

How does that center seat fit? I just remembered why it's not an option for the Touring. There isn't a seatbelt for that center seat. Whereas, the EX can get a center console as an option and stuff the center seatbelt into the ceiling, like the 3rd row.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The 2nd row center seat fit perfectly between 2 other seats, exactly the same as those in EX-L. The seat itself has 2 seatbelt anchor (not sure if that's the right term) like the center seat at 3rd row, so what's missing is a corresponding seatbelt from the roof, of course this is not an option.
I usually don't need the 8th seat, but occasionally i need it for very short trip, less than 1 mile local.
I know it's illegal and not very safe... well, due to the price and condition of the van, i couldn't pass the deal (it has 60K), i hope this is an EX-L, save me all the trouble, but life is never perfect. I plan on buying an aftermarket racing seatbelt for the 8th seat just in case.

You are right, i wouldn't drive fast on this van eventhough our odyssey is supposed to be the best handling van on the market. UNLESS i have this: TURBO ODYSSEY
May be you guys watched before.:)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Great video!! Never seen it before. It put a grin on my face :D That is one mean Odyssey. For my next upgrade . . .

·
Registered
3 Posts
De-PAX'd at last!!!

Finally got my Odyssey de-PAX'd today! What a great feeling! Thanks for all the information on this site. Got the MDX 18" wheels.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts