Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, everyone. New to the site, but no stranger to Forums.

I've seen tons of threads about this similar topic but I can't seem to get a straight answer for what I'm looking for
My mom has a 2006 Honda Odyssey EX-L.
The other day while I was in class I get a call from her saying she can't get out of Park. When I get home, I also discovered that the brake lights won't come on either. From what I've seen, there is no fuse for the brake lights.

So is it the sensor or the brake light switch or maybe both? I'm still a noob with cars in general so having a little bit of problems. Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
252 Posts
The shift-lock is triggered by the brake lights so the fix will take care of both issues. If the brake lights do not come on, then the van doesn't think you have your foot on the brake and will not let you shift out of park. There is a bypass to get it out of park next to the shifter. Remove the small cover, put your key in and shift to Neutral. Then start the van. This will just get you moving, but you should not drive without brake lights. My guess is you have a bad brake light switch which "should" be up under the drivers dash along the brake pedal arm mostly likely toward the driver. It has a button on the end that activates when released. Without your foot on the brake, the brake pedal arm closes (pushed down on it) and turns off the brake light. When you push the pedal, the arm moves away from the switch, allowing the button out, and activates the brake lights and shift-lock. I have not personally seen this in this generations Ody, but the 99-04 it is there and most cars I have replaced them are as well. Google it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
you need to replace the brake switch, that is the cause, I am 99.9999% sure of it
very inexpensive part, better yet if you complain to your dealer they will do a goodwill warranty claim for you, if they don't call Honda customer relations (# in the back of your owners manual). Brake lights inop is no laughing matter.....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just applied this fix to our 2001 Ody. I was overseas earlier this year and one night on the phone my wife told me she couldn't shift out of park. We used a jeweler's screwdriver to bypass the lock, enabling us to use the car. Figured 225K miles, that's just the way it will be now. But this week we started getting a "brake light out" warning light intermittently. I checked the bulbs and fuses--both good--and then checked the forum here and found the fix. Was able to replace the switch in about 10 minutes; hardest part was getting my large self under the dash to reach the back of the brake pedal. @Dagmando: yes, it is the same for a 2001 as you posted. @RuhRohh:there is a fuse for the brake lights, it is a 20A under the hood, left side as you're looking at it, in a big black box full of fuses. It is labeled as the "stop" fuse.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts