Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to keep this topic alive and let people know that Honda is still having the paint problems with the Sterling Silver color.

I took delivery of my 2001 SS EX on August 21 and noticed some dark swirls on the passenger door and rear quarter panel a couple of days later as I was drying the van. They are only visible under certain lighting conditions and at certain angles.

I have contacted the service manager at a local dealer (not the one I bought it from) and he said that I would have to work through the Honda rep. I have also mailed letters to American Honda Customer service as well as to the Vice President of Auto Sales who sent out the customer satisfaction survey. I have yet to receive any response from American Honda directly regarding my request for a replacement.

I have been offered to have it re-painted under warranty by the dealer, but I will not accept that.

Just a big FYI if you're ordering Silver. Please check it from many different angles and it might be helpful to have them pull it inside their shop to look at it without sunlight.

Andy

·
Registered
196 Posts
Andy,
I also mailed a letter to Honda when my ordeal began. After a month of no response, I called them. They initially responded by saying they hadn't received anything from me. Next they "discovered" that in fact they did get my letter but had misplaced it. I suggest that you call ASAP to confirm receipt and try to get things rolling. Please re-read the topic on "Major Paint Problem". You can probably map out a sequence of events that will help you through the process. Hopefully you can avoid some of the pitfalls and related delays that I encountered. Many of the members of this forum were very supportive and had some great suggestions to help me through.

PS. Please excuse my whimpering and wining throughout the topic. It was very trying indeed.

Keep us posted

------------------
Tom
2002 RP EXL-RES Soon!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tom,

I'm certain that they've received it because I've been talking with someone from American Honda and I have them hounding the DSM also just so I'm sure that someone is talking to the DSM. Hopefully with both the service manager and the American Honda person bugging the DSM, they'll get out here and look at it asap. I've also noticed the problem is more widespread than I originally thought. It is on the hood as well.

Andy

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I spoke with American Honda today (I called him...he has yet to return a message I've left). He said that they absolutely will not replace the van. They will only re-paint it!

In the past few days, I've noticed the problem to a lesser degree on the hood, the rear hatch, and the driver's side sliding door. The worst part is the passenger's side sliding door and rear quarter panel. This is the majority of the vehicle and they don't consider it a problem!!!

The Honda guy even told me that it would actually INCREASE the value by re-painting it. I questioned that, though!

Anyway, he wouldn't give me the name or number of the District Service Manager, but I managed to finagle it out of my salesman. I called and left him a message and also asked the salesman to have his Honda Manager and service manager phone this guy. I'm hoping that by letting him know I'm serious he will at least agree to look at it.

BTW, Honda denies that they will replace vans because of this problem. They said that if, for some reason, that did happen, then that is not normal protocol.

He also had no good answer as to how this keeps occurring on the Odyssey. He even said that he has NEVER heard of it before, which I find hard to believe.

I'll keep this post updated as to the status. Hopefully I'll hear back from the DSM soon.

Anyone from the other paint problem thread receiving replacements besides Tomhan? I'd like to give him an actual number. If anyone knows of other replacements of SS Ex's, please post them here so that I have more ammunition against Honda.

Suffice it to say that my first experience with Honda hasn't been what I expected from a company that prides itself on customer satisfaction.

Andy

·
Registered
564 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by daddy2twins+1:
The Honda guy even told me that it would actually INCREASE the value by re-painting it. </font>
Well, heck yeah it will increase the value. But that's only becaue the value is decreased with the poor factory paint!

I wouldn't put up with crap like this for another day. I'd begin Lemon Law (state-dependent) research right away to show them you're serious. Repainting is NOT an option in my book.

------------------
-= Darell =-
2002 Ody EXL-Nav (TW) ordered
2001 Civic EX

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unfortunately, I can't do lemon law here in Utah. In order to invoke that, they would have to have repaired it 3 times (which they're willing to do) and still have the problem. Unfortunately, since I'm not willing to accept their repair options, I have to just fight Honda about it.

I am looking into legal options, though.

Andy

·
Registered
196 Posts
Andy,
Here is a site to gather some information on lemon laws. http://www.autopedia.com/Lemon/

I don't believe the "three attempts to repair" rule applies to situations like a vehicles finish. Once the paint is cut it will never have the integrity and/or longevity of the original factory finish. There is no way they could possibly bring the van up to full factory value(IMO).

You might also consider sending a letter to your state attorneys' office. They have branches that deal specifically with consumer affairs and are usually very willing to help out.

------------------
Tom
2002 RP EXL-RES Soon!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts