Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a 3.5 month wait, we finally picked up our GG EXL-RES this afternoon. It was built at the Alabama factory. Hope they got everything right.
It feels a bit strange to have it sitting in my garage right now. Guess I'll take the family for a spin later this evening for the official first ride. So far I'm extremely impressed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,384 Posts
I was shocked the first time I saw our new Ody in the garage last week. We lost about 25 square feet of floor space compared to the old Ford Escort wagon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
We bought our GG EXL-RES in Houston last week at McDavid Honda. After one week, I have been extremely impressed. The salesman said the break-in period was only 200 miles which have been completed. The acceleration is quite good, though on overpasses you do have to gun it a little. The transmission had been very smooth. The quality of the RES screen is excellent and the head unit is a very slick set-up. I was a little worried that the van was coming from the ALbama plant, but everything looks ok.

Going throught the service schedule, I was stunned at how infrequent major servicing is. Timing belt and plugs at 105K miles? Replace antifreeze at 120k miles or every 10 years? Unbelievable! This should be a cheap to maintain van.

The Granite Green Metallic paint is wonderful. If it would warm up, I will wash and wax it.

Only down side is the suspension seems "bouncy" on our potholed city streets, but overall the ride if fairly quiet.

PS How much of MSRP did you get and from which dealer?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by asbapat:
...The salesman said the break-in period was only 200 miles which have been completed...</font>
Follow the break-in recommendation in the manual, not what the salesrep says. There are different mileage recommendations for hard braking and rapid acceleration.

Reps say all kinds of strange stuff. The finance guy at our dealer said, "Just keep it under 85 mph for 600 miles."

Our salesrep said, "You can use the Traction Control System System (TCS) at any speed. It's like 4-wheel drive, just press the button so the red light comes on." Au contraire! The TCS works only up to 19 mph and the red light means it has been de-activated!

------------------
Regards,

Maugham
_ _ ____________________ _ _

"I plan to live forever. So far, so good"
'02 RP EX-L (It's RP, not "RRP") ;)
'85 Prelude
'01 Ninja folding aluminum scooter
'00 New Balance Model 658 Shoes w/ Green grass stains and '01 White Laces
Rockport MW351 Brown Boots (for winter) and '00 Brown Laces
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,026 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by htown:
After a 3.5 month wait, we finally picked up our GG EXL-RES this afternoon. It was built at the Alabama factory. Hope they got everything right.
It feels a bit strange to have it sitting in my garage right now. Guess I'll take the family for a spin later this evening for the official first ride. So far I'm extremely impressed.
</font>
Congratulations on your new Ody! Enjoy! We love our 02 GG EXL. I do wish it had RES but it will soon enough.



------------------
2002 GG Odyssey EX-L
1988 Ford Escort GT
2001 Oldsmobile Alero GOV
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
Caution!
Double check the user manual, I think it says 700 miles for break-in not 200 like the dealership told you.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by asbapat:
We bought our GG EXL-RES in Houston last week at McDavid Honda. After one week, I have been extremely impressed. The salesman said the break-in period was only 200 miles which have been completed. The acceleration is quite good, though on overpasses you do have to gun it a little. The transmission had been very smooth. The quality of the RES screen is excellent and the head unit is a very slick set-up. I was a little worried that the van was coming from the ALbama plant, but everything looks ok.

Going throught the service schedule, I was stunned at how infrequent major servicing is. Timing belt and plugs at 105K miles? Replace antifreeze at 120k miles or every 10 years? Unbelievable! This should be a cheap to maintain van.

The Granite Green Metallic paint is wonderful. If it would warm up, I will wash and wax it.

Only down side is the suspension seems "bouncy" on our potholed city streets, but overall the ride if fairly quiet.

PS How much of MSRP did you get and from which dealer?
</font>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by asbapat:
We bought our GG EXL-RES in Houston last week at McDavid Honda. After one week, I have been extremely impressed. The salesman said the break-in period was only 200 miles which have been completed. The acceleration is quite good, though on overpasses you do have to gun it a little. The transmission had been very smooth. The quality of the RES screen is excellent and the head unit is a very slick set-up. I was a little worried that the van was coming from the ALbama plant, but everything looks ok.

Going throught the service schedule, I was stunned at how infrequent major servicing is. Timing belt and plugs at 105K miles? Replace antifreeze at 120k miles or every 10 years? Unbelievable! This should be a cheap to maintain van.

The Granite Green Metallic paint is wonderful. If it would warm up, I will wash and wax it.

Only down side is the suspension seems "bouncy" on our potholed city streets, but overall the ride if fairly quiet.

PS How much of MSRP did you get and from which dealer?
</font>

asbapat, Good to hear you are enjoying your van.

I was worried about receiving a U.S. built vehicle as well. Hopefully the 'Bama rookies are building with the same quality as their seasoned Canadian conterparts.

Not even the Odyssey can be expected to smooth out Mayor Brown's potholes.
The only thing slightly negative that I've noticed are the relatively noisy tires. They really 'sing' loudly on the freeways.

We paid MSRP at John Eagle Honda plus $895 for the 7 year/100,000 mile extended warranty.

Honk if you see another GG EX-L RES!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Maugham:
Follow the break-in recommendation in the manual, not what the salesrep says. There are different mileage recommendations for hard braking and rapid acceleration.

Reps say all kinds of strange stuff. The finance guy at our dealer said, "Just keep it under 85 mph for 600 miles."

Our salesrep said, "You can use the Traction Control System System (TCS) at any speed. It's like 4-wheel drive, just press the button so the red light comes on." Au contraire! The TCS works only up to 19 mph and the red light means it has been de-activated!

</font>

Our salesman told us we could drive at any speed and accelerate as quickly as we wanted. "Just don't use the cruise control.", he said.

Needless to say I'm taking it easy on the engine anyway until the break-in period is over.

It is amazing though how fast the '02 Odyssey is. It easily cruises at 80 turning only about 2100 RPM. A moderate push of the accelerator to pass someone and I was running 100 before I knew it with plenty of power to spare. (Just a temporary lapse of judgement. I really am trying to be easy on the engine.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by htown:
...Our salesman told us we could drive at any speed and accelerate as quickly as we wanted. "Just don't use the cruise control.", he said.</font>
There was a thread about cruise control during break-in a couple of months ago. I can't find any research that says this is still required or even recommended.

IMHO, it's an "old husbands' tale"
left over from the 1960s and 1970s, passed down from father to son.

It's not in the Honda manual.

Does anyone have any links to research or current expert advice on this?

Regards,

Maugham
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
239 Posts
Congratutlation on your new toy.
I picked up my 02' EGP-L-NAV in November at McDavid Honda too.
This is my 2nd Ody since I sold my 99' EX-L.
I loved it even more than my 99' for obvious reasons.
So far, I have about 3800 mi. on it. McDavid offer free oil change at 3750 mi, but I do not plan to have my 1st oil change that early as I learned that the oil comes with the vehicle has special ingrediant that it is advisable to leave it longer with the green engine. Anyone heard about this?
I have added several accessories to the Ody.
Mudguard, cargo tray, color-coded door guard, cross-bar, weather-tech mat, plug & go center console, under-seat 6-disc changer, 9" tv/vcr combo, Poron mini3 reverse aid, auto on/off headlight. Wow, I can't believe I have added so many until I list it now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by asbapat:

PS How much of MSRP did you get and from which dealer?
</font>
asbapat, what kind of deal did your dealer give you if you don't mind me asking. Any problems with them?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
I was able to get MSRP-$700 with no add-ons. A bought it from McDavid Honda and my salesman Mark Young was good and ready to deal. I did everything over the phone including my deposit was by credit card. He didn't play games, like I need to talk to my manager, blah, blah. I had another deal at Russell and Smith for MSRP-$750 and had a deposit there too, but they played some games with me on the delivery date. They are to mail me back my deposit sometime soon.

I am going to go with Tracy for the Honda Care warranty, because the price they quoted at the sale was too high and at that point I didn't feel like bargaining anymore.


Also, I got the cargo tray and splashguards from Hondaparts4you.com for a very good price.


[This message has been edited by asbapat (edited 02-28-2002).]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
I was surprised to hear of someone having to wait 3.5 months for their vehicle. We got ours for sticker after waiting about 4 weeks in Kansas City. We have had it about one week now. Its our first van and the wife absolutely loves it.

While Honda doesn't mention any specific break-in procedures other than not changing the oil prior to the first schedueled stop, many other manufacturers still recommend varying your speed for the first 1000 miles or so (don't drive for extended periods of time at one speed). This wouldn't apply to city driving but that is where the no-cruise-control suggestion came in.

------------------
02 SS EX-L-RES
97 Maxima SE 5-Spd
99 Z-71 Silverado
91 Suzuki GSF400 Bandit
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by asbapat:
I was able to get MSRP-$700 with no add-ons. A bought it from McDavid Honda and my salesman Mark Young was good and ready to deal. </font>
Wow. $700 less than MSRP. Sounds like I didn't do enough homework and maybe fell victim to the 'MSRP is a good deal' mantra. Foiled again!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GeoHawk:
I was surprised to hear of someone having to wait 3.5 months for their vehicle. We got ours for sticker after waiting about 4 weeks in Kansas City. We have had it about one week now. Its our first van and the wife absolutely loves it.

While Honda doesn't mention any specific break-in procedures other than not changing the oil prior to the first schedueled stop, many other manufacturers still recommend varying your speed for the first 1000 miles or so (don't drive for extended periods of time at one speed). This wouldn't apply to city driving but that is where the no-cruise-control suggestion came in.

</font>

Geohawk, My dealer originally told us 8-10 weeks but shifted the date on us. 14 weeks after ordering we have the van. I had to call them for every status update that we got. It has not been the best of experiences but we're happy to have the van now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by asbapat:
I had another deal at Russell and Smith for MSRP-$750 and had a deposit there too, but they played some games with me on the delivery date. They are to mail me back my deposit sometime soon.

</font>
Ha! Nice to hear that Russell and Smith are still up to their old tricks! Back in October last year they offered me MSRP-$500 on a new 2002 but kept changing the date on me. Finally picked up our Odyssey at Goodson Honda (ex Spring Branch Honda) at MSRP-$200, no tricks or add-ons.

A word to the wise: stay on R&S to get your refund. They played games with that too. Two weeks after the guy told me he'd mail it to me I called back: "the check is in the mail". Another week and I called again: "sorry it didn't go out until yesterday, give it a few more days". Another 10 days and I was hopping mad so I called them and went there in person...waited 2-1/2 hours until they handed me a check and went straight to the bank to deposit it. And nothing ever came in the mail, so even the second time they were lying through their teeth. You can bet I'll think twice before doing business with them again. (A pity, because back in 1993 we bought a Ford Taurus from their adjacent Ford dealership and had a terrific buying and service experience - maybe their Honda store has different management, or maybe the entire place changed hands since '93).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Well, its ten days now and still haven't received my deposit back. I'll call on Monday and try to get them moving.

htown, don't worry about the $700 - it is not a big deal in the long run. But I do think supply is beginning to meet demand.

------------------
2002 GG EX-L with RES
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top