Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

A friend of a friend just bought 2002 3.2 TL Type S and swapped the steering wheel with the wood one. I wonder if anyone know if it fits the 2001 Accord EX 4Cyl Sedan. I know that it will fit my ody but it has black steering wheel and does not match with the tan at all. My wife Accord has the tan interior and will match. It is brand new, he offers for $100. Is this a good price?
Anyone want to swap the black TL with tan?

Thank you for your replies

·
1,484 Posts
Check out shinjohn's page on how to easily distinguish between the two steering wheel hubs:

http://ourworld.cs.com/shnjhn/ody/wheelswap.htm

As for the $100 steering wheel...it's okay...but it is possible to get it cheaper. If you special ordered it it would cost $150 but you might want to also try asking your local Acura dealer if they have any extra they would be willing let go. Alot of people have gotten one for next to nothing.

-Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nemogira:
...next to nothing.</font>
Or even closer

I actually called three Acura dealers. The first dealer had one and said I could have it. The other two acted like I was nuts.

Mel

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Dealers seem to be catching on now with the TL/CL wheel swap. MDX wheels are pretty easy to get these days on ebay and other sites.

After getting my MDX wheel for my Accord free from a local dealer, I kept looking for a TL/CL (esp. Type-S!) in black but to no avail. Couldn't find one from any local dealer, so gave in and picked up Sanjeev's TL-S wheel off him. To me, worth it because I really like the perforated sections, and I was just getting too impatient. (bad, bad, I know...)

Tan seems more available since people seem more likely to upgrade to wood grain with that color scheme.

Good Luck,
SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Nestor or any others that have done wheel swaps...

I just got to doing my TL-S swap this weekend in my Ody and I have a little complaint.
When I did the MDX wheel on my Accord, after the swap, the wheel was absolutely dead straight with the wheels. With the Ody, the wheel isn't perfect. I took it off and re-positioned it, and it just won't line up perfectly. The notches just don't give enough positioning capability. Now perhaps I'm splitting hairs, and probably a bit anal, but, anyone else have this problem? Any easy fix?

-SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

·
Registered
182 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by shinjohn:
With the Ody, the wheel isn't perfect. I took it off and re-positioned it, and it just won't line up perfectly. The notches just don't give enough positioning capability...anyone else have this problem? Any easy fix?
</font>
I had/have the same problem. When I had it all back together and took it for a test drive, I noticed that the wheel was just a little off center. Thinking I had not matched it to the steering shaft, the next evening I removed it and tried to center it better. Rotating it to the next notch made off in the opposite direction even more. I then put the old wheel back on and discovered it was not perfectly on center either, I just hadn't noticed it. So I re-installed the new wheel again as I first had done and am happy with it. On some roads it actually appears on center. Just a RCH off, as we used to say in the military.

I don't know how to make it perfectly on center unless there is an adjustment while duing a front end alignment. When I had a gearbox replaced on my GMC the steering wheel was off center afterward, and they adjusted for it during an alignment. Since the Ody is front drive I don't know if this is possible or not.

I know I wouldn't go back to the old wheel unless it was to sell the Ody.

------------------
Lanny
2K1 EX MB

[This message has been edited by my_2001ody (edited 11-05-2001).]

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi,

Thank you all for your replies.
I took out the Accord steering wheel this weekend and it did not fit the TL-S. These have completely hub design, just like the pictures post on shinjohn site. Just my curiosity.

Thanks again.

------------------
Regards, 2K GG LX

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by my_2001ody:

I had/have the same problem. When I had it all back together and took it for a test drive, I noticed that the wheel was just a little off center. Thinking I had not matched it to the steering shaft, the next evening I removed it and tried to center it better. Rotating it to the next notch made off in the opposite direction even more. I then put the old wheel back on and discovered it was not perfectly on center either, I just hadn't noticed it. So I re-installed the new wheel again as I first had done and am happy with it. On some roads it actually appears on center. Just a RCH off, as we used to say in the military.

I don't know how to make it perfectly on center unless there is an adjustment while duing a front end alignment. When I had a gearbox replaced on my GMC the steering wheel was off center afterward, and they adjusted for it during an alignment. Since the Ody is front drive I don't know if this is possible or not.

I know I wouldn't go back to the old wheel unless it was to sell the Ody.
</font>
Yeah, I remember in the past when I've seen this problem, that a front end alignment can fix it. But dang... don't NEED an alignment. Wish I had the equipment to do the adjust myself....

My wife doesn't notice the misalignment, I guess it's just me. So, I guess I'll live with it. Maybe I can convince myself the old wheel was off center too... Yeah... that's it...

Thank for the help, Lanny.

-SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

·
Registered
182 Posts
But dang... don't NEED an alignment. Wish I had the equipment to do the adjust myself....
</font>
Is your Ody less than a year old and under 12k miles? Any uneven tread wear or pull to the side? Honda used to do alignment free during this timeframe for any problems.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by my_2001ody:
Is your Ody less than a year old and under 12k miles? Any uneven tread wear or pull to the side? Honda used to do alignment free during this timeframe for any problems.</font>
Less than 4 months old, 3,300 miles. Unfortunately(?!?!) my vehicle tracks dead straight... I'll keep this in mind though.

Hmmm.... perhaps donuts in the local parking lot will get that uneven tire wear?
Maybe that's what Nestor was doing that morning at Costco after his H&R pics! (hee,hee)

-SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

·
1,484 Posts
I remember a while back several Odyclub members reported that the steering wheel was off centered. Apparently most (if not all) Odysseys come this way. Although I don't know if it's the same for the 2002s. But it makes me wonder if it being off center has any relation to the notorious "drifting to the right" problem?

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Registered
182 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lt_trinh:

I took out the Accord steering wheel this weekend and it did not fit the TL-S. These have completely hub design, just like the pictures post on shinjohn site.
</font>
If you did want to put a tan wheel on your wife's Accord, check out eBay as there is one from an Acura MDX that might fit. Compare its picture with the hub on the Accord.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
...the wheel isn't perfect. I took it off and re-positioned it, and it just won't line up perfectly...
</font>
I had a similar problem with my Acura wheel swap. I found that what I used as reference marks in the hub castings weren't as exact as I had assumed. I had to reposition the wheel one spline.

Speaking as an old brake and front-end mechanic (from the days of Pitman arms), assuming the frame and "axels" are straight, camber and caster determine whether the vehicle will track straight down the road, or, more accurately, what type of road the vehicle will track straight on. Since most roads have a crown that causes a car to pull to the right it's common to build in a little pull to the left to counter this effect.

Assuming that toe-in is set correctly, steering wheel centering is a function of the balance between the left and right tie rods. Lengthening one and shortening the other, while maintaining the correct toe-in, will move the steering wheel position.
It's possible to adjust toe-in, and thus steering wheel centering, without doing a complete wheel alignment. It's even possible to adjust toe-in without sophisticated alignment tools, just a scribe and a tape measure. However, I certainly don't recommend it and won't attempt to provide instructions. Suffice it to say that simply adding n-turns on the left while removing n-turns on the right ISN'T accurate enough.

Mel

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mel:
I had a similar problem with my Acura wheel swap. I found that what I used as reference marks in the hub castings weren't as exact as I had assumed. I had to reposition the wheel one spline.
</font>
Thanks for the post, Mel. So in the end, did your wheel end up a little off "center", even after repositioning a spline?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
Suffice it to say that simply adding n-turns on the left while removing n-turns on the right ISN'T accurate enough.
</font>
Yeah, I've read before about alignment work that can be done with basic things such as string, tape measure, scribe, etc... but would never try that myself. Thanks for your feedback!

-SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
So in the end, did your wheel end up a little off "center", even after repositioning a spline?</font>
It all depends upon the the road I happen to be on
. Actually, once you drive it a while you get used to it and don't pay very much attention to it.

Mel

1 - 15 of 15 Posts