Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While waiting for our Ody to come in, I went to get our 1996 Camry V6 (with only 41K on it) oil changed. We are selling this car to my cousin (he is new to the US and has no Credit) for very favorable terms, and also because I told him how reliable it was and what few miles it had. At the dealership they found the engine was leaking oil and needs about $900 worth of work. Since I am giving this car to my cousin, I had to fix this - Hard to do for a car worth $9-10K. This was upsetting for the obvious reasons, especially beacuse we bought the car for its reliablity.

Anyway, these things happen, but I think when our ODY comes in, I'll get the extended warranty. My wife drives very few miles, but with the van, we plan to make many more trips. And the warranty pays for itself with an event like the one above and also for the peace of mind it gives you.

Six years ago, when I bought the Camry, my father was adamantly opposed to an extended warranty - saying if the car doesn't make it to 100K without major problems, then it's not a Toyota. He has passed away now, and while I agree with him for the most part, I think I'll get the extended warranty this time.

------------------
Awaiting 2002 GG EX-L with RES

·
Registered
71 Posts
Look on the bright side, you probaly would have spent that same amount of money on the warranty when you bought the car.

Bw sure to look at the Warranty discusion forum to get names of dealers that can sell you a Hondacare extended warranty for hundreds less than your dealer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I have seen the posts about Tracy and the Hondacare 7yr/100k/$0 deductible for $875. When I buy the van, I'll ask the dealer for the same deal, otherwise I'll go with Tracy.

FYI The Hondacare website lists the same warranty at $1080.

------------------

·
Registered
95 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by asbapat:
While waiting for our Ody to come in, I went to get our 1996 Camry V6 (with only 41K on it) oil changed. We are selling this car to my cousin (he is new to the US and has no Credit) for very favorable terms, and also because I told him how reliable it was and what few miles it had. At the dealership they found the engine was leaking oil and needs about $900 worth of work. Since I am giving this car to my cousin, I had to fix this - Hard to do for a car worth $9-10K. This was upsetting for the obvious reasons, especially beacuse we bought the car for its reliablity.

Anyway, these things happen, but I think when our ODY comes in, I'll get the extended warranty. My wife drives very few miles, but with the van, we plan to make many more trips. And the warranty pays for itself with an event like the one above and also for the peace of mind it gives you.

Six years ago, when I bought the Camry, my father was adamantly opposed to an extended warranty - saying if the car doesn't make it to 100K without major problems, then it's not a Toyota. He has passed away now, and while I agree with him for the most part, I think I'll get the extended warranty this time.

</font>
Toyota is recalling millions of vehicles that have insufficient crankcase ventillation that results in oil sludging. So far, the recall applies to 4-cyl engines in the Camry and Corolla as well as 3.0 L V-6 engines in the Camry, Sienna and some Lexus models. Check out the recall to see if it applies to your car before you spend the money.

------------------
2000 Odyssey EX-Nav
2001 Toyota Tacoma DoubleCab 4x4

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked the Toyota website, and the recall is for 1997 and on 4 cylinder and V6s. They talk about oil "gelling", but nothing about oil leaks. Too late anyway, dropped the car off this morning. But I am calling Toyota's customer service to complain tomorrow morning, though I am sure it won't help....Grrr...

------------------

·
Registered
7 Posts
Is it possible to get a HondaCare warranty on a Canadian vehicle in the US (ie no longer has a valid manufacturer's original warranty).

[This message has been edited by fatalei (edited 02-19-2002).]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Most extended warrenties are $1,000 - $1,200. Your repair was $900, so still cheaper for the repair. Most people don't collect on the extended warrenty, otherwise why would they make it a business of selling them (they make money). Bank the money for the extended warrenty and then use it for repairs if needed. Chances are on your side your money will grow for you and still be there.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am also waiting for an EX L-RES and I am not sure I will get the extended warranty.
I think that Asbapat had a bad case with his Camry. I've owned a 94 Camry without any problems.
I currently have a 96 Windstar and have not spent any money other than regular maintenance on this van.
I guess that the Oddy must be much better and therefore the probability of needing a major repair must be lower.
Are there any deductibles with the extended warranty? I don't know the answer but that if there is a deductible that will make my decision easier.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Honda Care Warranty comes in many flavors. Check out their website at
www.hondawarranty.com

They have $0 deductible and $50 deductible plans.
Since I am getting $700 off MSRP, the $875 and peace of mind for the warranty will even out.
I know you can argue to bank the money, but with today's money market rates and stock market, it doesn't seem to make much of a difference........

------------------

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just received my extended warranty package by Honda last night. I must admit that I was a bit rattled by the language urging me to stick with Honda dealer servicing or risk losing coverage. How strict do you think that they are about this? I have a local shop that only services Honda nad Acura and is staffed by fantastic people. They only use Honda certified parts too. Do you think this is a risk with the extended warranty?

·
Registered
129 Posts
I hate to be the one to bring this up aspabat, but what exactly was the cause of the oil leak? Is it worth $900?? Did you shop around? How much do you trust this mechanic?

Perhaps you have a bad valve cover gasket, a very inexpensive part?

I have a friend with a 1991 Camry with 180,000 miles with a leaky valve cover gasket and he's getting his fixed for less than $100.

I'm not saying this is the cause of your leak....just wondering if you know what the cause is.

In any case, good luck!

------------------
Nelson
2001 Odyssey LX
2001 Civic EX Sedan
1990 Mustang LX 5.0 Coupe
http://fiveoh.homestead.com/main.html

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The parts were the front engine seals, timing belt and valve cover gaskets. Yes, the parts were inexpensive - most of the charge was for labor. Did I get cheated? I don't know. They recommended the timing belt change at the same time because oil could leak and ruin the belt. Since I am not engine savvy, it could be a load of bull, but I've always taken things to the dealer since I've had poor dealings with outside mechanics. I am very busy and I just had to get this taken care of and really didn't have time to shop around. Also, I did see the oil leak, so that part is true (unless they staged it). Oh well, if I get the extended warranty, I can let Honda pay the bill....

------------------

·
Registered
214 Posts
In reference to the Toyota recall - I read an article in Automotive News that said the cause was a reduction in the cooling passages in the head, which was done to raise the cylinder head temperatures for improved emissions. One expert was quoted as saying he'd seen cyl head temperatures up to 260F, about 30 above normal. This leads to severe oxidation, and sludging. Bucket type lifters used tend to make the problem worse, being an area for the sludge to accumulate. Toyota is now recommending 3000 mile oil changes, but the expert said 100% synthetic oil was the only solution..... A woman in California, I think, took her one year old 1999 Sienna to the dealer when her oil light came on. They said she was at fault for not changing oil, wanted $9000 to repair. She argued with them for over a year, had it parked in her yard. She was most unhappy, understandable........

John

1 - 13 of 13 Posts