Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first of all i have done my research but i still need some clarification from others than have experienced the problem.

my 99 ody passenger door will not open with the button, you have to pull the handle and hold it for just a second or so and it will open, you dont have to pull hard or tug on it, it will open normally as long as you hold the inside or outside handle out for just a second or two. however it will close and latch with the button just fine. Is the actuator going bad? or could it be worn linkage? i would like to know what to look for before i tear in to it.

Any help is appreciated. thanks

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Clean the contacts on the front edge of the sliding door. The contact to open the door isn't making.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so i have cleaned, greased and inspected the cabling, slider, hinge release mechanism and actuators in the door. all apears to be ok. there seems to be another actuator that trys to activate when you use the button to open the door, it sounds like its coming from under neath the rear passenger cup holders.

So my next question is the button operating the actuators in the door or another one else where, b/c neither one of the actuators activate when you push the button. When you do press the button, the door will rock back about a 1/2", then thud, beep......., then close back and latch.

·
Registered
2011 Odyssey LX, 120k miles
1,934 Posts
In the same spirit as rebooting a computer as the first step in troubleshooting, whenever I have a problem with the power sliding doors in my '99 EX, the first thing I do is to disconnect the battery negative cable.

This probably has the same effect as removing the right fuse, but this way I don't have to know what fuse #. Wait several seconds and re-connect.

The theory is that the processor that controls the doors has a "state" (in memory) that it believes the system to be in, based on sensors and commands. When this state is wrong (which can happen due to a temporary problem), it can cause problems. Removing the power momentarily causes it to basically reboot where it builds a new state from scratch - if all sensors and actuators are now working, this should be fine now.

You'll need to punch in the radio code, so have that ready. I write my code on my battery so I always have it.

Only a slight chance this will help, but it's easy enough to do. Not a bad idea to check the battery connections while you're there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
which button are you using, the remote? Does it open when you use the buttons inside the car by the steering wheel?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i dont have a key fob, it will not open with the button by the steering wheel. it will start to open and then "Clunk" and shut back

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
The only difference between opening the door with the dash switch and the door handle is the signal from the switch goes through the brass contacts on the front edge of the door. There is no separate opening mechanism in the door.

·
Registered
539 Posts
i dont have a key fob, it will not open with the button by the steering wheel. it will start to open and then "Clunk" and shut back
Does the door even move at all, or is the clunk that you hear just the sound of the mechanism unlatching?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
it will move out just a nudge and then clunk and close back, you can hear it unlatching but it never releases long enough to open. if you open with the door handle all you have to do is pull the handle out and hold it out and the door will open just fine, its like its unlatching then latching back to quick.
Does the door even move at all, or is the clunk that you hear just the sound of the mechanism unlatching?

·
Registered
10 Posts
check the centre rail to confirm that both rollers are there. If there's only one it will still open and close with problems... buzz... mine only closed if I kept pushing on the close remote, but it will not make contact with all the sensors. I found out the hard way.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
so your saying there are two rollers on the center track?

check the centre rail to confirm that both rollers are there. If there's only one it will still open and close with problems... buzz... mine only closed if I kept pushing on the close remote, but it will not make contact with all the sensors. I found out the hard way.

·
Registered
10 Posts
yes. open the door 12" and flash a light along the centre rail and they should be visible front and back. The cable that opens and closes the door is attached to this hinge bracket with one bigger vertical roller and 2 horizontal rollers that slide along the rail. I found one missing and the 2nd was really worn on my 2001 ODY...causing misalignement on the contacts and closure problems. Lots of posts on this fix.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts