Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had antena ball on the Ody? We put a mickey antena ball on the Ody antena. Everytime I drive on the freeway looks like the antena is going to snap. Do I need to remove it?

------------------
'01 GG EX
Mud Guard, Wheel Lock, Cargo Tray, Weathertech Mats
leather steerling wheel cover, Pioneer 1655 speakers,
Lojack

·
Registered
127 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bjk2001:
Has anyone had antena ball on the Ody? We put a mickey antena ball on the Ody antena. Everytime I drive on the freeway looks like the antena is going to snap. Do I need to remove it?
</font>
Nah, just wait a week-someone will steal it and solve your dilemma for you! :-( Sorry for the light sarcasm, but I have yet to have one of those things on any of my cars for more than a few days-we have had Weinerschnitzel hot dogs, Union 76 balls, miniature Dodger baseballs, Jack-in-the-box-ping-pong-ball-heads, and countless others, and they all disappeared almost immediately (and NOT from the wind knocking them off!). I guess there are worse things that can happen to your car, but I think it is a sign of the degeneration of society at large (my tongue is now firmly planted in my cheek!).

------------------
2001 EX
iVES
Infinity 652s/452s/105ts
Honda Wood Dash
Wheel Locks
Cargo Tray
Cargo Mat
Cargo Cover
Roof Rails
Cassette Player
Heartland console

Coming up: Foglights,CD Changer,Glove Box Light

·
Registered
301 Posts
I tried one of those balls on my old caravan ariel and it set up a harmonic vibration so severe at highway speeds I thought that it would snap.
I would ditch the ball as it may fatigue the mast over time.Also the ball may add to the drag of the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
The Ody is infamous for the way its antenna whips around. I suspect this is the reason for the popular mod that replaces the original antenna with one for a S2000. Anything that significantly increases the air drag at the end of the antenna is very likely to exacerbate this problem.

I also suspect that the reason you want one of those balls is to make your car easier to find in parking lots. If so, read on.

A long time ago, I put some yellow plastic tool handle coating (I think it's called Plastigard, or something like that) on the tip of a CB antenna to reduce the noise when it scraped on my garage door frame. I discovered that this little spot of color shows up at quite a distance, if you look for it. Since then, my cars have had the tips of their antennas coated with two coats (just to make it thicker) of yellow coating.

I have one request: If you decide to make this modification, please use a different color

Mel

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mel:
The Ody is infamous for the way its antenna whips around. I suspect this is the reason for the popular mod that replaces the original antenna with one for a S2000. Anything that significantly increases the air drag at the end of the antenna is very likely to exacerbate this problem.

I also suspect that the reason you want one of those balls is to make your car easier to find in parking lots. If so, read on.

A long time ago, I put some yellow plastic tool handle coating (I think it's called Plastigard, or something like that) on the tip of a CB antenna to reduce the noise when it scraped on my garage door frame. I discovered that this little spot of color shows up at quite a distance, if you look for it. Since then, my cars have had the tips of their antennas coated with two coats (just to make it thicker) of yellow coating.

I have one request: If you decide to make this modification, please use a different color

Mel
</font>
Mel:

Good tip, thanks! I am going to avoid yellow. May be using Hot Pink Color.

------------------
'01 GG EX
Mud Guard, Wheel Lock, Cargo Tray, Weathertech Mats
leather steerling wheel cover, Pioneer 1655 speakers,
Lojack

1 - 5 of 5 Posts