Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am aboout ready to push this car off a freeking cliff, everytime I fix one thing another goes wrong. Last week I noticed the rad overflow bottle was low, opened the rad and it was half empty too. topped everything off went on my way, well now the overflow is empty and there is a spattering of Antifreeze everywhere, in the fan strouds, on the exhaust the bottom of the oil pan and so on....anyway has anyone else experenced this to give me a hint on where to look first? Oh its on the 06 touring...Thanks

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok found what I think is the source, there is a hose that runs into a metal fitting at the base of the radiator, it does not leak when the car is off but it appears to be the source of the leak, so the question is does fluid only flow through thete when the car is running? Is there a drian plug at the base of the radiator somewhere? I dont want to pull this hose and have a antifreeze shower.

·
Registered
8,298 Posts
You have two brass beaded-end hose fittings at the base of the radiator. One allows ATF to enter into a radiator-mounted in-tank ATF cooler, the other fitting is for the hose returning ATF to your transmission.

See this thread for pics:

In-tank ATF cooler removed from 1998 Accord Radiator

I think you can salvage this problem. Note that each hose fitting has a brass cone nut (it's for a compression fitting). I think a 19mm wrench will fit. Tighten it, since there is what appear to be a pair of butyl rubber washers on each side of the skin of the plastic end tank on that radiator to seal each fitting. Cranking down on it should seal it up again and stop that leak. Don't overdo it! The top and bottom end tanks on most radiators these days are made of plastic, like the one on your Ody.

OF

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yes Ody family that is where the hose is connecting, its the one on the right as you are looking at the rad. I think the culprit of my problem is hose number 16 in the diagram. It appears the locking spring has dug so far into the hose its cracked it. When I remove it will coolant pump out of it or does it only flow when the rad is working?

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Post a picture, I may be able to help.

PS: 0Dyfamily,

#8---> antifreeze to radiator
#9 <--- antifreeze to engine
A leak here will spill antifreeze and not ATF.

#14, 15 are ATF cooler hoses:
A leak here will spill ATF.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cnn, its hose 16 which is attached to 14...ATF fluid is in there? if so I have the wrong hose because it is definatly coolant I have leaking. the transmission pumps atf fluid to the radiator? I would have guessed cooland is pumped to the transmission.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Post a picture of your existing problem.
Don't clean anything yet.
Post it as is so I can help.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
In a separate thread on ATF DIY:
http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=65442

I posted the pic for the ATF line here:
http://www.odyclub.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=523319

You have leak from the Coolant reservoir spilling down giving you the impression it leaks from the cooler line.

Clean with some water, fill antifreeze, run the engine and check if you have leak at reservoir or radiator itself.

What kind of work did you do recently on the car? Did you damage anything in the process?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As far as previous work goes the coil packs were visually ispected by the dealer, yesterday the PS resivoir was replaced but I was having the issue before that....to speak to my first line of the first post, the car has thrown codes and put up the gas cap warning needs brakes etc...seems like the wife is calling me constantly about something....I'll try the resivoir

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
it would stand to reason that it is the tank as the rad has stayed full since I topped it off last week but the tank is empty.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
does the radiator draw from the resivior tank or does it only put fluid in it when it is overfull?

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Then remove the reservoir and check for crack. You may want to replace the small hose feeding it too.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That all checks out no cracks holes or leaks in the resivoir...dang it would have been an easy fix

·
Registered
8,298 Posts
cnn, that was a good idea to clarify which one. :)

dadswagon, those little hoses coming from the small brass fittings carry ATF only, as far as I can tell. This is true for all 3 of my Hondas (2 Odys and 1 Accord).

In answer to your question, if you remove either small-diameter rubber hose (#15 or #16, both are approx 3/8" I.D.), only ATF should come out. If coolant is present in either hose, that is BAD. You would then have a failed OEM ATF radiator in-tank cooler...but you wouldn't be able to drive for very long, because it would be instant death for your auto tranny (A/T). Therefore, I do not think that a internally leaking OEM ATF radiator in-tank cooler is the problem.

Normally, your radiator is supposed to be full, to the brim, when cold. As the coolant heats, it expands and is forced out of the radiator under pressure via the radiator cap and the neck that the cap screws onto, through the overflow tube and into the coolant reservoir. When you have shut down, and everything is cooling down, it's supposed to withdraw coolant back into the radiator via this same route as the coolant contracts. This assumes a cooling system with no leaks.

I've seen leaking systems pull coolant back into the radiator after shutdown, only to have it piss it out the leak path when warmed back up while running the motor, hence an empty reservoir. As well, the leak never allows enough pressure to build to overcome the relief feature of the radiator cap, thus pushing more coolant out that leak, hence the depleted radiator.

Did you try tightening the fitting(s)? They are standard right-hand threads (righty-tighty, lefty-loosey). I just placed a 19mm wrench on mine...it should be the same for yours.

OF

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You mean the fittings we dicussed ealirer? I have not but arent you asying those fittings only service ATF? Not sure I will mess with them if thats the case as I no doubt have coolant everywhere. I did notice when looking down into the rad compartment that there seems to be liquid standing in the tray at the bottom of the rad, I dont know if its catching the leak or if I have an actual leak in the radiator. The heating and cooling leak you are talking about would occur in the tube or caps of the radiator and over flow right?

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Clean the area with water, including splashshield.
Refill coolant.
Run engine and for a good 15-30 minutes while you check for leak.

How many miles in your van?
Maybe the radiator is leaking.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts