Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Odyssey Touring Elite
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

We recently purchased a 2013 Odyssey Touring Elite with 116,xxx miles on it. The dealership provided a 90-day/4,000 mile warranty on it.

We noticed the van’s A/C had trouble keeping up when stopped in traffic or in park so the dealership agreed to take a look at it. They diagnosed it as a faulty A/C fan in the engine bay, a leak at a schrader valve, and low on Freon because of the leak. They fixed it at no charge under the warranty.
Now we smell antifreeze from the engine compartment. I called and talked to the service department to see if maybe some part of the repair would have involved antifreeze and maybe some got spilled but they said nothing they did would have involved antifreeze. The smell isn’t coming inside the van through the vents...we just smell it outside.

I don’t see any leaks when I look in the engine bay and there isn’t antifreeze on our driveway. When I checked the antifreeze levels, I saw that the reserve tank was way overfilled (a half inch from the top of the tube near the cap.). I plan to try to remove some of the antifreeze today.

We have driven the van over 1,000 miles since we bought it before the A/C service (it took a long time to get a service appointment) and didn’t smell antifreeze. It has just been noticeable after the A/C service.

Do any of you have ideas or suggestions about what might have caused the levels to change after an A/C repair? Could the smell be coming from there being too much fluid in the system?

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
With the engine cold, remove the radiator cap and verify that it's full to the cap.
Unrelated to the A/C service, they may have topped up the antifreeze in the reserve tank. That may have overflowed causing the smell.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Checking it cold, it’s about a half inch above the max line. I’m assuming I should try to get that half inch out? This is where it was after driving it yesterday.

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
Wow that's overfilled! Did the dealership add washer fluid to that coolant reservoir?? I would drain it out completely and add fresh coolant.

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
It's extraordinarily difficult to remove either fan (radiator fan - left side, or the condenser fan - right side) without removing the front end bumper cover, and tilting the A/C condenser forward, and then tilting the radiator forward to gain clearance to unbolt and remove the fan in question. To do that, the top radiator hose and hose leading from the radiator filler neck have to be disconnected. Even if they drain the coolant, some will spill, and as things get hotter during normal summer driving, you will smell coolant.

In short, that whiff of coolant odor should be normal, assuming they did not break anything or crack the radiator's top tank (it's made out of plastic, just like just about every radiator these days).

OF

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your replies! I’ll see if I can get the excess out of the reservoir and move on with life. You’ve done a lot to out my mind at ease.

I’m 42 years old and this is the first vehicle I’ve purchased from a dealership. I’ve been nervous from the get-go because there’s always someone's horror story about dealerships. We took the van out of town July 4 (we were responsible...no Covid) and driving from Florida to Mississippi just outside Mobile the “battery not charging” warning came on. We bought the van at an AutoNation lot in our town and they told us it would have 90 day/4K mile warranty. We called them and they had us go to the AutoNation Honda there in Mobile. When they looked us up in the system they couldn’t find a warranty. They diagnosed the alternator was bad and quoted $1,300 to fix the 3 week old purchased van. (Did I mention that I was nervous dealing with a dealership? However, I’m happy to say our local dealership covered the repair and the Mobile dealership paid for a rental for us to get the rest of the way to my wife’s parents’ house since they had to order the part.

Between the alternator and this air repair I suspect they’ve eaten about $2,000 of the profit from the sale of the used van. I don’t have a reason to suspect them of being dishonest about the repair but since I don’t know what the procedure is for replacing the fan I wasn’t sure if they might have spilled something or maybe something else broke loose. The no drips in the driveway was what was puzzling me though.

I order a VCMuzzler and plan to install it tomorrow and have the transmission fluid ready for a drain and fill following the suggestions I’ve seen here on the forum. Thank you all for sharing your experience with maintaining these vehicles!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts