Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're still trying to decide if we want to trade in our 2001 ODY & get the 2002 ODY. We like all the changes that they've done. Just wondering if any one that has received their 2002 has had any disappointments or complaints of ANY kind?
We're specifically interested in getting the 2002 SS EX-L RES.
Also anyone that has done a trade in--if you don't mind me asking, what did you get for your model & milage?
Our dealer offered us $23,900. for 2001 SS EX with 38,000 miles and I don't know if this is good or not. Seems not but I'm no expert.
Thanks!

·
Registered
628 Posts
I received $23,500 for a '00 MB EX with 27,000 miles against a '02 EX-L at MSRP from Napleton's Auto Werks in Rockford, IL

[This message has been edited by sixtn39 (edited 09-29-2001).]

·
Registered
273 Posts
I am trading a '99 EX with 48K on a 02 EX L. I did not get but 20,000 but I did not pay above sticker and did not pay for any add ons.

·
Registered
55 Posts
compaints - taxes are too high!
seriously, it's almost suicide to trade in a new vehicle after only 1 or even 2 years - you take a nasty hit on depreciation. that being said, if you just have to have the new ody, think about what the improvements are and the cost - is it work $5k for 30 more hp and disk brakes? i think the improvements are nice, but they help improve the van rather than redefine it. i don't have my ody yet, and i'd much rather buy a 2002, but if i was offered a killer deal for a NEW 2001 i'd have to consider it...just my 2 cents.
Gary

·
Registered
564 Posts
The main advantage you have with you 2001 is that YOU ALREADY HAVE IT.

Seems like my 2002 will never get here...

------------------
-= Darell =-
2002 Ody EXL-Nav (TW) ordered, but apparently never coming.
2001 Civic EX

P

·
0 Posts
I have to agree with Darell. Ours seems like it's never coming either.

*BUT* I've seen some dealers that appear to be selling on-the-lot Odys for around MSRP. Shop around, and you may be able to skip this awful wait.

Michelle

------------------

Phoenix ~i~ & Belle (aka Belzebub)
Click here to see my site!

·
Registered
564 Posts
Ya know...that's not such a bad idea. I really have just been sitting here with my head up my b.... Well, not be proactive, let's say.

I should do another resources check...

------------------
-= Darell =-
2001 Civic EX

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">[I really have just been sitting here with my head up my b.... Well, not be proactive, let's say.b][/b]</font>
A man with a T5? Sitting around? And worrying about his minivan delivery date??????????

Hey, have I got a deal for you....

·
Registered
478 Posts
poodleluvr, darelldd-do yourself a favor and call Dennis Jenkins @ Jay Honda. He found my van in 1 day and it will be shipped to me via transport this week! Discounted $400 off MSRP too. I got tired of the run around from the local dealers and it worked out well for me. Email me if you want more details...

------------------
RRP EX Navi on the way-finally!
Forget world peace-visualize using your turn signal!!
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

·
Registered
564 Posts
Ody -

I actually saw your post in the other thread. I'm a bit timid to commit to something site-unseen. I want to hold and caress the thing before I plunk down my $34,000. That's my only reservation. But thanks for thinking of me.

------------------
-= Darell =-
2001 Civic EX

·
Registered
564 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by adam1991:
A man with a T5? </font>
You'll notice that the T5 is not in my sig any more. While the T5 is still in my garage, it no longer belongs to me, and will be leaving next week. So yup, I'm sitting around, seeing as how I now have no car to call my own.

------------------
-= Darell =-
2001 Civic EX

P

·
0 Posts
Poor Darell. I know exactly what getting gyped out of a car feels like. After we lost our Beamer ('83 323 Convertible) and before we got the Civic sedan, I had no car at all. And then there was the time my mom let my loser brother use MY CAR for two weeks when his car *died* (it actually didn't, he just was too lazy to fix it). And then it stunk like cigarettes for a month. I'm still bitter about that.

Have you tried harassing the dealer into a loaner car? Hey, you can use our Chrysler AND Toyota if you hook me up with yer Civic.
(I'm just kidding, the Toyota and Chrysler are pieces of you-know-what, and I doubt you'll wanna drive them). I know I don't.

Michelle

------------------

2002 RP EXL-RES (apparently never coming)
1995 Honda Civic DX Coupe-1990 Chrysler LeBaron Convertible-1987 Honda Civic Sedan-1986 Toyota LE Van

P

·
0 Posts
Whoops! Sorry Darell, I kinda stole your sig notes above. Sorry!

I like this...

------------------

2002 RP EXL-RES (oh where, oh where, can our minivan be???)
1995 Honda Civic DX Coupe-1990 Chrysler LeBaron Convertible-1987 Honda Civic Sedan-1986 Toyota LE Van

·
Registered
564 Posts
We're in the same boat, you're welcome to my sig!

but yeah...poor me.

------------------
-= Darell =-
2001 Civic EX

·
Registered
478 Posts
Hey guys, believe me I understand your hesitation on buying out of state etc. I wrestled with that one too.
I decided to take the risk-if it doesn't work out well, my wife will never let me hear the end of it (j/k)
Michelle, seems like your dealer would let you out of your deposit if he can't get you your van. Hope you get some good news soon!

------------------
RRP EX Navi on the way-finally!
Forget world peace-visualize using your turn signal!!
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ody, I've seen posts from people who've ordered from the dealer in Ohio that you ordered yours from and have heard good things. The only negative is not seeing it before buying and that it arrives dirty. If mine wasn't coming any day, I'd do what you did. I've talked to your sales guy Dennis, and I think it should work out fine. You just have to go to the DMV and pay your taxes.

Craig

·
Registered
68 Posts
LovenLifeInMyOdy: Let's see. You have 2001 Odyssey with 38,000 miles, which is a bunch of miles for a 2001. If I am not mistaken, a 2001 EX stickered for $26,400 (please correct me if I'm wrong.) The dealer is willing to give you $23,900 for it now.

In any case, it cost you $2,500 to drive not just any vehicle, but an Odyssey, for 38,000 miles.

I think considering the fact that most depreciation normally occurs in the first 3 years of a vehicle's life, this is a good deal.

I think the honeymoon for those trading in their 99-01 Odyssey's will be over in about 6 months to a year for several reasons. Production will increase with the new plant, which in turn means that dealers may finally have more stock than demand, which means discounted sticker prices. All of the sudden you can't resell your year old Odyssey for near sticker. I think the slow economy will also be a factor.

In my case, we are selling or trading our 2000 EX TW with 26,000 miles for a 2002 EXL RES. Normally I would never consider doing this, especially with a perfectly good vehicle that I don't have any problems with.

However, let's look at it: I paid sticker for our 2000 ($25,400). I have several folks interested in buying it for $24,000. If all of these leads fall through, my dealer will trade for $22,000. So, for $1,400 (best case), or $3,400 worst case, I've had the use of the van for two years.

With the 2002 I get:
1. 30 HP
2. 5 Speed Tranny
3. 4 wheel disc brakes
4. leather
5. rear entertainment system
6. better RVH handling (road noise, vibration, harshness.)
7. security system
8. Essentially -0- miles.
9. other stuff I've forgotten

Of these, I could buy a RES and leather for our 2000 and spend about $3,000. I don't know how to place a value on the other extras.

So I'm spending about $6,000 on the new '02 to get the above, or I could spend $3,000 on my existing van to get leather and RES but still not have the new mechanicals, a quieter ride, and a zeroed odometer.

I think in a year, the value of my 2000 van will decrease quite a bit more than it did the first two years. If I were to guess, I'd say it would be worth about $19,500 in a private sell and about $18,000 trade in a year.

It's one of the few times that a justification can be made to trade after one or two years.

Just my 2 cents. Go ahead and get the 12 gauge out and shoot holes in my justification for buying a new toy!!

Greg

[This message has been edited by Razorback (edited 09-30-2001).]

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Whoa--sorry about that--I made a huge mistake in the my first post.(Forgive me I have the cold from hell right now

Our vehicle only has 3,800 miles on it. The main reason we're want to upgrade is to get the leather and the RES. We have a 6 year old and a 16 month, and the 16 month is terrible in the car. We're hoping that with the RES we'll at least be able to enjoy the ride.

Our 2001 is all paid off and we're able to afford to do the trade in--we just don't want to get taken for any more than is necessary. And of course anything we should be looking out for with the 2002 that isn't up to par.
Thanks for the input.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts