Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about getting one but wondering how DIY the install is.

·
Registered
150 Posts
a4000 said:
Thinking about getting one but wondering how DIY the install is.
Are you referring to the Honda version of the remote start? If so, then yes, I did get it on my 2011.

Like it a lot, but the fob is really large. Other than that, really enjoy having it.

Can't speak to install, as it was installed by the dealer.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
after the car is remote started, to get going do you have to turn the car off, and restart?

·
Registered
739 Posts
If its like the Acura version, it will turn off as soon as you open the door and you have to restart it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
VFR pilot said:
after the car is remote started, to get going do you have to turn the car off, and restart?
Yes, you must actively shut off the vehicle from the remote start fob.

You cannot just unlock the door using the key fob, open the door, and have the engine shut off automatically.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
thats why i didn't get it on my van...........

my other car has aftermarket starter, start the car, open the car, key in, touch brake, alarm turns off........motor on.

·
Registered
150 Posts
The reason I bought the Honda remote start: If there's an electrical or starting problem with the vehicle, Honda will blame the third party remote starter manufacturer and vice versa. That's a headache I don't need.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
VFR pilot said:
thats why i didn't get it on my van...........

my other car has aftermarket starter, start the car, open the car, key in, touch brake, alarm turns off........motor on.
What brand do you have? I've been considering one for my Pilot. One of my co-workers has a Viper that he can start from his smartphone. He can even adjust the climate control temp, turn on the defogger, etc and it has tremendous range. And it doesn't shut the car off like the Honda unit.

·
Registered
359 Posts
It appears you can physically install it yourself but you have to take it to the dealer in order to have it programmed to work. Check out the install instructions here:

http://www.handa-accessories.com/odyssey/11remotestart.pdf

Seems involved but it can be done. a long time ago, I installed a Honda alarm in my 2000 Prelude and it was all plug-in-play like the above instructions.

also, I don't know why they make them now so that they shut off when opening the door. The new Ford systems are the same way but there's a simple way to fix it by just changing the programming option settings for the system. Maybe there's a way to do that on the Honda system? Like on page 3 of the install file, it shows some switch settings. I wonder what Switch 3 for "Smart Entry" means because they have it turned off???

Does anyone have access to any other Honda technical files that might describe the remote start settings and those switches?

·
Registered
224 Posts
I wouldn't get the aftermarket remote starters if Honda offers a factory one. Yeah, the Viper one is pretty awesome but it caused a CEL that is intermittent. Looks to be a voltage issue that is getting more common as the battery starts to weaken over time. I may buy a stronger battery soon like the Optima. I have a lot of accessories plugged in, etc.

I would have gone the Honda route but they simple didn't offer it for my generation Oddysey. The lack of features on the Honda are worth the piece of mind warranty you get.

Although the Viper is pretty incredible, I'd of gotten the Honda one. I admit though, showing people how I start the Odyssey through my iphone is impressive. I've done it from cities away when my wife was locked out.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
bryan11 said:
I wouldn't get the aftermarket remote starters if Honda offers a factory one. Yeah, the Viper one is pretty awesome but it caused a CEL that is intermittent. Looks to be a voltage issue that is getting more common as the battery starts to weaken over time. I may buy a stronger battery soon like the Optima. I have a lot of accessories plugged in, etc.

I would have gone the Honda route but they simple didn't offer it for my generation Oddysey. The lack of features on the Honda are worth the piece of mind warranty you get.

Although the Viper is pretty incredible, I'd of gotten the Honda one. I admit though, showing people how I start the Odyssey through my iphone is impressive. I've done it from cities away when my wife was locked out.
agreed. Honda doesn't make one for my generation (08) Pilot either, which is why I'm looking aftermarket.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Key Fob is Big!

I just had the Honda remote starter installed today. It seems to work as advertised. The key fob is a little big. I also got only one key fob. Does anyone know if I can get another one; and for how much? Also, I thought I can adjust the interior temp using the key fob; but I did not get an owner's manual from the dealer. Thanks.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Re: Key Fob is Big!

mhidalgo4 said:
I just had the Honda remote starter installed today. It seems to work as advertised. The key fob is a little big. I also got only one key fob. Does anyone know if I can get another one; and for how much? Also, I thought I can adjust the interior temp using the key fob; but I did not get an owner's manual from the dealer. Thanks.
You can buy another fob. It cost me $169. It requires programming by the dealer, so I decided to buy the second one up-front.

My dealer indicated that the temp is automatically set to 72-degrees (F). It cannot be adjusted from the fob.

·
Registered
85 Posts
We did the aftermarket Viper on our 2011 after loving the one on our 2006.

The Viper keyfobs control the sliders and liftgate as well as the starter, alarm, etc. So we have no need for the Honda keyfob anymore... but since it is built into the key, it's not like we can leave it home. :)

The range on the Viper is pretty incredible too. It is two-way so you will get a confirmation when the car starts, and you know when it shuts off. If you are out of range, there is an iPhone and Android app and we can start/stop engine, arm/disarm alarm, and open trunk through that app (those all give you immediate feedback that they've gone through too).

My husband has set off the alarm a few times and I receive the text message pretty quickly that it has been triggered. I hope I never need that feature but it is nice knowing that it works so quickly.

We also had the Smart Windows installed with the system so we can open/close all 4 windows and sunroof through the remote. Kind of a nice feature if you're parked far away with a window open and it starts pouring.

Chose the Viper route over the Honda since we have our dogs in the car almost all the time and leaving the car running w/climate controls is a must in Chicago summers and winters. I also like how by default our system runs for 60 minutes. The most important thing to us was the range and two-way reliability. If I start the car I need to know it starts, and when it shuts off I need to be notified ASAP.

Overall I'm extremely happy with our Viper, the differences are huge IMO.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sounds like a great unit. Any chance you could let me know approx what you paid for the unit/install?

gr2659 said:
We did the aftermarket Viper on our 2011 after loving the one on our 2006.

The Viper keyfobs control the sliders and liftgate as well as the starter, alarm, etc. So we have no need for the Honda keyfob anymore... but since it is built into the key, it's not like we can leave it home. :)

The range on the Viper is pretty incredible too. It is two-way so you will get a confirmation when the car starts, and you know when it shuts off. If you are out of range, there is an iPhone and Android app and we can start/stop engine, arm/disarm alarm, and open trunk through that app (those all give you immediate feedback that they've gone through too).

My husband has set off the alarm a few times and I receive the text message pretty quickly that it has been triggered. I hope I never need that feature but it is nice knowing that it works so quickly.

We also had the Smart Windows installed with the system so we can open/close all 4 windows and sunroof through the remote. Kind of a nice feature if you're parked far away with a window open and it starts pouring.

Chose the Viper route over the Honda since we have our dogs in the car almost all the time and leaving the car running w/climate controls is a must in Chicago summers and winters. I also like how by default our system runs for 60 minutes. The most important thing to us was the range and two-way reliability. If I start the car I need to know it starts, and when it shuts off I need to be notified ASAP.

Overall I'm extremely happy with our Viper, the differences are huge IMO.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Me too please...thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Would love to have that information too. To make sure I understood your original email... you can operate the sliding doors with the remote starter fob?

1 - 20 of 116 Posts