Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All (and Caviller, esp!),
Given my experience with the Expressway, and having returned it now, I'm in a rush to buy another car seat.

This would be a front facing seat for use for my 2 year old (~25 lbs). (didn't have the Roundabout to go rear facing to 30 lbs before and now I really don't think she'll accept going back to rear facing now!)

I looked around for the Cosco Triad, (another LATCH compatible seat) to no avail. Of course I can buy any Century and use the retrofit kit, but was wondering now, for those parents and safety enthusiasts, what seat would you buy if you were in my shoes? I know there are many, many choices, all of which would be very safe ones. Would just like some opinions and guidance.

My priorities are:
1) overall safety/crash performance (obviously)
2) usability - important with pregnant wife who will most likely have post partum Carpal Tunnel....
3) LATCH compatibility is desired due to the Ody.. but not required by any means.

Thanks in advance!

p.s.- price is not a concern for me, just want a good seat... though I have one of the cheapest ones now! (Century 1000STE)

------------------
-Shin John
'01 DEP EX, and I'm workin' on it! (slowly)

[This message has been edited by shindog (edited 12-07-2001).]

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Assuming it fits your car, the safest choice is probably a good convertible seat with a 5-point harness. I happen to use a Britax Roundabout for our daughter (still rearfacing), but you might check the new Evenflo Triumph (with their LATCH kit) and other models, too. A Fisher Price Safe Embrace II would be very nice too if you could find a new one (doubtful) or a used one where you know the history.

That said, I moved my son into a Century Nextstep DX at about the same age and weight. He's got another 4 pounds in it now using the harness. It's not as comfy as many convertibles and lacks some features of models like the Roundabout, but is still a good carseat. I will use it as a booster if I don't buy a Britax Super Elite or some other model which might hit the shelves that has a harness for over 40 lbs and LATCH.

Good luck!

·
Registered
39 Posts
shindog:
Dorel sells another LATCH carseat which I saw in K-Mart in {Lawrence Expressway}. It is under Safety 1st Brand. At that time, the only colour available was brown. It also was $10 cheaper than the Triad.
{Both Cosco and Safety 1st have the same parent company Dorel} <url>http://www.djgusa.com/</url>

The new BabysRUs in Union City [Exit off Whipple on 880] had the FP Safe Embrace II a couple of weeks back.

Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by starlight (edited 12-08-2001).]

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Starlight, Caviller,
Thanks so much for the replies!!!!!

Starlight, being local, you are a life saver. I'd lost all hope in finding a Safe Embrace II. I frequent BRUs in San Jose and assumed that since they did not carry it anymore, that no other store would. I was wrong.

Called this morning and they had one left. Reserved it, picked it up and it is already installed. I'm very happy with it!!!!

The SEII was what I was originally looking for, but could not find. Thanks, so, so much!!! Didn't even know they opened the store in Union City. Man, that area is getting developed SO SO MUCH!

Caviller, thanks for the other recommendations. I checked out the Triumph and was impressed with many of its features. The harness tightening was the best/worst feature. Seems you can adjust tightness well with a knob, but it needed to be bigger or shaped like a wing nut so that torque could be applied more easily. I also found it very difficult to release the tightening mechanism as that collar is very difficult to turn using only one hand. Had the harness tightening/release been dealt with better, I think I may have gone with this over the SEII. Nice seat though, very comfortable, and nice design overall.

Again, thanks for the help. Starlight, if you ever need any help (esp. audio related or something) let me know.

------------------
-SJ
'01 DEP EX, and I'm workin' on it! (slowly)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts