Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am leaning toward replacing the head unit in my 2002 EX-L Navi with an in-dash DVD so I don't have to deal with two different units. I've read about this panasonic receiver in this forum several times.
http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/PANCQDVR909U#reviews

Does anyone know of any other receiver besides the CQ-DVR909U that has some of the cool features like this unit has. Namely:
Built in decoder (if I ever feel like having 5.1 ch. sound in my van, sounds overkill now)

Dual zone sound, this sounds like an excellent feature since the rear pass. can use the headphones and also from a safety/distraction point of view.

Built in AM/FM tuner
Wireless remote for rear pass.

So, this unit is perfect for me except two things.
I would like to have something with either green lighting or switchable lighting. This one comes with blue and other 'radioactive' lights.
I would like CDR/CDRW capability.
My budget is $500-$600.00 ( I can get the Pany for around 5 bills)

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
63 Posts
I guess that is a DEAL for almost just 1/3 of its original price that's hard to beat. Most of my alpine stuff that I got from Sound Advice (shop here in my place) are display models but I don't get that BIG of a discount like the one in sounddomain.

Believe me you'll love that 5.1 channel in your van.

I guess the blue lighting is your only option for the panasonic. its actually cool, but if you really don't like it there's a way to bypass that blue light cause Sound Advice told me that it only lights up when you turn on your headlights.

Dual zone sound, really don't know if the panasonic unit can do this, but I know alpine will release a single din unit that can do that, am/fm tuner, will play dvd/cd/built-in mp3 decoder(cd-r/w capability most likely since it can decode mp3, hmmm got to ask them that), xm sattelite ready and dual zone capable but this one will have an MSRP of around $1300 and alpine uses green lighting just like you want it (hint hint hint). Bad side this won't be available till june.

This is getting too long hope this LITTLE info helps you out.

------------------
'02 Odyssey EX Redrock Pearl
Alpine Multi Media setup
MB Quart speakers
PS2

[This message has been edited by PlayItLoud (edited 02-23-2002).]

[This message has been edited by PlayItLoud (edited 02-23-2002).]

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
If you are looking for an all in one unit with 5.1, receiver, DVD, dual zone capability, your choices are very limited right now.

Panasonic has the CQ-DVR7000U which is similar, but no center channel, no DTS, but better private mode implemenation. (I have one) I've written about this and the 909 in several previous threads...

If your budget is $500-$600 the Panas are the only options for you, really.

If you have a higher budget, the other way to go is with one of he in-dash motorized 7" monitors with DVD integrated... though you need an outboard processor for most of these.

Then Clarion has a DVD player with built in decoder, but you need alot more electronics to build up the system.

Alpine's current lineup is sparse in this area, but look to them and Eclipse on the higher end very soon to have some nice component like and integrated offerings.

------------------
-Shin John
'01 DEP EX, and I'm workin' on it! (slowly)

[This message has been edited by shinjohn (edited 02-23-2002).]

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your help guys. Shinjohn, I like the CQ-DVR7000U better than the 909 unit. I don't really care for the built in center speaker, its not of much use in a van where the screen is hanging from the ceiling.

There are a lot of other units that have CD-R and MP3 capability but no dual zone. So I am kind of torn between the two features. I think I am going to hold out until I see the 'perfect unit'. I guess we're not taking any long trips soon anyway, so I can wait on the DVD.

Shinjohn, just curious why you would recommend the indash screen. I've never understood the logic behind them. Why would anyone want a DVD playing in the center of the dash, where it can be a great distraction for the driver? Even in a car, I think the headrest displays are a great idea.

BTW, so far the best screen I've seen is the Pioneer 8" wide screen. It sells for about $800.00 plus $100.00 for the overhead mounting kit.
http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=pioavdw8000

So here is the ideal DVD system in my view:

Indash DVD with dual zone audio, cd changer control, CD-R,CD-RW, MP3 playback, AM/FM tuner and the above Pioneer screen.

I am still looking....

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sgoyal:
Thanks for your help guys. Shinjohn, I like the CQ-DVR7000U better than the 909 unit. I don't really care for the built in center speaker, its not of much use in a van where the screen is hanging from the ceiling. </font>
Totally agree. Top it off with private mode allowing any source front/rear, and I was sold. Ergonomics are slightly better too.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
There are a lot of other units that have CD-R and MP3 capability but no dual zone. So I am kind of torn between the two features. I think I am going to hold out until I see the 'perfect unit'.
</font>
I wouldn't worry so much about CDR capability. My CDRs play fine in every player I own. Now MP3, that's up to you. I think prices will continue to drop on fully integrated solutions, so if you can wait, that's not a bad idea... but seems like you are just waiting on one feature: MP3. Why not add an external player to the Pana 7000's Aux RCA input? If you have a portable already, this would be the easiest IMHO.

Shinjohn, just curious why you would recommend the indash screen. I've never understood the logic behind them. Why would anyone want a DVD playing in the center of the dash, where it can be a great distraction for the driver? Even in a car, I think the headrest displays are a great idea.
</font>
Only reason I bring up the in dash screen is just all the cool stuff you can do with dual zone and 5.1 sound with these setups. It's nice to have the screen up front for demoing, etc.. Also, if your rear screen is not visible by leaning back from a front seat, it'll be hard for you to cue up videos. This is one of the big reasons Videonavi came up with his conversion in the Ody.

In fact, it is illegal for a front screen to be visible to the driver when driving, so most in dash monitors only operate when the vehicle is in park and the parking brake is applied. Anyhow...

Good Luck, keep us posted on your progress!

p.s.- re: the Pioneer 8", have you seen the flip down holder for this screen yet? The systems I've seen where a flat panel is mounted with a conversion kit to the roof have not been very solid or well done, IMHO.

------------------
-Shin John

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">In fact, it is illegal for a front screen to be visible to the driver when driving, so most in dash monitors only operate when the vehicle is in park and the parking brake is applied.</font>
Uh-huh.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shinjohn, are you saying the Pana 7000 plays CDRs, if so thats great. I can pass up the MP3 capability right now, that would be asking a bit too much.

I found this unit for $483.00 at the below link.
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/stb2000/t-cq-dvr7000u.html

I'll call these guys up tomorrow and find out if this is a new or refurb. unit. Price seems too low.

Another question, how does this unit look at night, does the lighting more or less match with the rest of the dash? I am not a big fan of flashy displays?

As far as the Pioneer 8" screen, I haven't seen it in person. I just thought since its a major brand, the quality should be good. It is damm expensive though, especially when you can get a 7" for about half the money.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Does the Panasonic CQ-DVR7000U remember where you were in a DVD when you turn off the power?

I dread the idea of getting into a Barney video on a road trip, then having to fast forward back to the same place after each potty stop for the kids.

Is it being phased out, and if so, why? Perhaps there is something better around the corner...

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sgoyal:
Shinjohn, are you saying the Pana 7000 plays CDRs, if so thats great. I can pass up the MP3 capability right now, that would be asking a bit too much.
</font>
What I'm saying is that I have no doubt it will, based on my experience with Panasonic DVD players and head units.

To be honest, mine is still waiting to be installed into the Ody. I've just not had the time to get it done because I'm very particular when it comes to installs...(and I've had my hands full at home with a new baby and our toddler)

Once I get to it in I an report, but I really don't think this is an issue. Most players that are not CDR "certified" work just fine. Certain brands tend to be picky, but Panasonic has not been one of them, in my experience.

I found this unit for $483.00 at the below link.
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/stb2000/t-cq-dvr7000u.html

I'll call these guys up tomorrow and find out if this is a new or refurb. unit. Price seems too low.
</font>
Price is good. I got mine at wholesaleconnection.com, no problems. Ebay sellers are advertising ~$475 now, opening bid. It's really up to you who YOU feel comfortable throwing your money at. Wholesaleconnection drop ships. I had no problem with that, some take issue. I have a receipt from an authorized dealer so I'm covered on warranty....

Another question, how does this unit look at night, does the lighting more or less match with the rest of the dash? I am not a big fan of flashy displays?
</font>
I don't like flashy either, but the Panas day/night feature is the bright blue glow... I've seen it, and not the best IMO, but livable for me. If you want subtle, these days that's hard to find in ANY brand.

One last clarification on "dual zone"/private mode, that most people don't understand:
The 909 plays two sources separately by sending signals to front/rear speaker outputs and/or pre-outs. When in this mode, the front passengers cannot listen to tuner, only an aux device such as a CD changer. There is no separate pre-out specifically for a headphone emitter on this unit... though you could use the rear pre-outs for this purpose.

The 7000 implements private mode by:
a) muting the rear speaker leads/pre-outs
b) sending separate signal to a dedicated set of pre-outs, which are usually connected to a headphone emitter.
The 7000 then is a pre-out only solution for rear-listening, designed specifically for use with a headphone system. It does not play separate sources through front/rear speakers. Though wiring those pre-outs to an amp or whatever could be another option, it's up to you!

You may have already know this, but I wanted people to be absolutely clear if they are planning on purchasing one of these units.

------------------
-Shin John

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by moopie:
Does the Panasonic CQ-DVR7000U remember where you were in a DVD when you turn off the power?
</font>
Yes it does, as do most players. If you press stop, and then play again, it resumes from where you were. Likewise if you power down/power up. This assumes of course the unit is installed properly. Car head units get power from a constant source (so that it can remember things like station pre-sets, where the disk was when powered off, etc..) and a power source switched with the key. Any decent installer knows to hook up the radio properly to the two power sources.

Is it being phased out, and if so, why? Perhaps there is something better around the corner...
</font>
The 909, Pana's flagship is being phased out. My assumption is they have newer models in the queue. The 7000U is still current.

------------------
-Shin John

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Shinjohn, thanks for the clarification. Sounds like the 7000 makes more sense since if I am going to be listening to an aux. source outloud upfront, the only option the rear passengers have is to use the headphones anyway. I'll try to find these unit at a local shop to look at the user interface, etc.

Moopie, IMO being phased out isn't always a bad thing. Companies are always updating their product lines, its a good time to buy high-end equipment. If you want the latest and the greatest, you'll definitely pay for it, maybe 2x or 3x.

·
Registered
37 Posts
It is odd that the Panasonic website no longer has the CQ-DVR7000U listed as one of the models they carry, while they continue to show the CQ-DVR909U. The DVR7000U seems to only be referenced in relation to its compatibility with other items like their CD changers. See this link for the list of Mobile Video Products:

http://www.prodcat.panasonic.com/shop/NewDesign/ProductList.asp?CategoryID=2479

Am I missing something? I guess it is the DVR7000U being phased out. Thats a shame because it is the one that I wanted to get too. Now what do I do? Track down a DVR700U before they become extinct, or wait for the next version?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Its true an item is not really that bad if its being phased out, specially if we really like that item we could get it a lot cheaper. The downside is, there is another model thats better coming after it but only if those added features appeals to you and will benefit your needs if its just additional frills then you don't lose out. Another downside, products that are being phased out are hard to find, but EBay is just a click away....

------------------
'02 Odyssey EX Redrock Pearl
Alpine Multi Media setup
MB Quart speakers
PS2

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by moopie:
It is odd that the Panasonic website no longer has the CQ-DVR7000U listed as one of the models they carry, while they continue to show the CQ-DVR909U. The DVR7000U seems to only be referenced in relation to its compatibility with other items like their CD changers. See this link for the list of Mobile Video Products:

http://www.prodcat.panasonic.com/shop/NewDesign/ProductList.asp?CategoryID=2479

Am I missing something? I guess it is the DVR7000U being phased out. Thats a shame because it is the one that I wanted to get too. Now what do I do? Track down a DVR700U before they become extinct, or wait for the next version?
</font>
OK, my sources may have been misinforming me, but everyone's price slashing of the 909 was in anticipation of a new flagship (so I heard). I haven't heard specifics on this though, and I think I could be totally misinformed on Panasonics new offerings... But looking at the website, your analysis may be correct, because there is a new model listed that I haven't seen yet, recently announced (I think this month):

CQ-DVR592

sgoyal,
This may be your "Perfect" unit. Has MP3 built in, and CD-R certified! Not sure about private mode and other features, but looks to be promising, and lower cost! Not only that, but no external amp module, just the in-dash head unit. Keep your eyes peeled for this one. Likewise, look at this one, moopie.

This unit looks more like a replacement for the 7000, and given the 7000s demise from the Pana's web page, I don't know what to say about the 7000, maybe its a gonner already!

I'm in agreement about phased out technology, you can usually get a great deal this way. If you guys still want a 7000, there are many dealers selling them all over the net and otherwise. Same with the 909.

Anyhow, if I hear more specifics re: the 592, I'll post. Likewise, if others find out, let me know!

------------------
-Shin John

p.s.- new in dash add on DVD/MP3 player replacing the 700U:

CX-DVP292U

[This message has been edited by shinjohn (edited 03-01-2002).]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts