Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking > 200,000 miles/320,000 km. I’m not here to debate the efficacy of VCM - that dead horse is beat. Would like to know if VCM impairs long-term durability. Assumed 3rd generation would be the most likely platform. It’s well established that with nominal care, the J35 is easily a 250,000 + mile engine with no rebuilds. Wanted to see if anyone (that hasn’t disabled VCM in their cars) has any experience with lots of miles and no related repairs.

Thanks.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I got a buddy with an 2007 EX-L at 190,000.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
My '06 showed no signs of issues at 166K and the replacement '07 shows no issues now at 150K. I fully expect to make 250K+, but I do run full synthetic oil with 5K intervals and my motor is very clean. My '06 had full syn every 5K since new, but the '07 had regular oil by the MM until I bought it, so it's only the last 35K with the syn. There was a definitely noticeable cleaning out period the first couple of oil changes, but it has now settled in about where the '06 was with regard to how dirty the oil is at change time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thinking > 200,000 miles/320,000 km. I’m not here to debate the efficacy of VCM - that dead horse is beat. Would like to know if VCM impairs long-term durability. Assumed 3rd generation would be the most likely platform. It’s well established that with nominal care, the J35 is easily a 250,000 + mile engine with no rebuilds. Wanted to see if anyone (that hasn’t disabled VCM in their cars) has any experience with lots of miles and no related repairs.

Thanks.
Sorry to being back this old thread but I just rolled 250,000 on my 2006 exl, bone stock. And it gets put to use I took out my seats and haul my 400 pound street bike in the back of it so I'm pretty proud of her.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Sorry to being back this old thread but I just rolled 250,000 on my 2006 exl, bone stock. And it gets put to use I took out my seats and haul my 400 pound street bike in the back of it so I'm pretty proud of her.
A worthwhile note IMO. My update is now at 230K+ with zero issues and all stock as well. Unmuzzled and all original motor mounts. The original VCM has proven to not be that problematic, but you'd have to give me a VCM II motor prior to 2014 and even then I would definitely muzzle it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
A worthwhile note IMO. My update is now at 230K+ with zero issues and all stock as well. Unmuzzled and all original motor mounts. The original VCM has proven to not be that problematic, but you'd have to give me a VCM II motor prior to 2014 and even then I would definitely muzzle it.
I'm unmuzzled aswell, never had any issues with mine even in the hot hot heat of arizona!

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Probably a lot depends on how you drive. Also, there is no consent agreement on non-VCM motors.

Finally, the van drives so, so much better with no VCM!

·
Registered
13,122 Posts
I've seen all models have VCM problems, even the VCM 1 vehicles in 05 and 06. Fewer problems on the 05 and 06 but I've seen them have problems. Not every single VCM engine will experience issues, even on the VCM2 engines. Muzzling just ensures yours won't be one of them. Just because you don't muzzle doesn't mean you WILL have a problem. However, muzzling does ensure you will NOT have a problem. If you're feeling lucky, don't muzzle. If you like to not have to worry about it, muzzle it.

Reactions: thscott

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've seen all models have VCM problems, even the VCM 1 vehicles in 05 and 06. Fewer problems on the 05 and 06 but I've seen them have problems. Not every single VCM engine will experience issues, even on the VCM2 engines. Muzzling just ensures yours won't be one of them. Just because you don't muzzle doesn't mean you WILL have a problem. However, muzzling does ensure you will NOT have a problem. If you're feeling lucky, don't muzzle. If you like to not have to worry about it, muzzle it.
I'm sort of wondering if this Odyssey was muzzled before I got it. BECAUSE, I have never seen the eco mode light come on, and the temperature is always a few ticks below the half way point aka operating temperature.

·
Registered
13,122 Posts
I'm sort of wondering if this Odyssey was muzzled before I got it. BECAUSE, I have never seen the eco mode light come on, and the temperature is always a few ticks below the half way point aka operating temperature.
Pretty easy to check.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts