Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about installing a CB radio for traffic and weather reports while traveling. I saw a post a long time ago where a CB was installed next to the driver's seat with the front panel facing upward, but haven't found it using the search option. Has anyone seen one installed in an Ody? I know they are not popular like they used to be, but I always liked them. I've been caught in several traffic jams on the Interstate that I would have avoided had I been forewarned. Also, does anyone have any experience with the "through the glass" CB antennas? Thanks for any comments.

------------------
Lanny
2K1 EX MB

·
Registered
255 Posts
At last!! Another CBer!! I debated for a long time about installing a CB in my '01 GG Honda; finally went with a Cobra handheld model ( http://www.electronicsoutpost.com/hh38wxst.htm). (I didn't buy it from the place in the link; that's just a good picture and description of it - you can get it for under $80.00.) I decided I didn't want to permanently mount a CB in the van (not to mention my wife wasn't crazy about that mod to *her* vehicle), plus a handheld allows me to use it in any other vehicle. Not as good range as a permanent mount with external antenna, but it's good enough to talk to other traffic on the interstate. Has 10 weather channels, also. I have a magnetic-mount antenna that I use on long trips, helps the reception somewhat.

[This message has been edited by groupset (edited 12-19-2001).]

[This message has been edited by groupset (edited 12-19-2001).]

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by groupset:
At last!! Another CBer!! I debated for a long time about installing a CB in my '01 GG Honda; finally went with a Cobra handheld model Not as good range as a permanent mount with external antenna, but it's good enough to talk to other traffic on the interstate.
</font>
I just saw the one you have locally on sale for $60. Also saw a regular moble unit with weather channels I liked. I was thinking about pulling the console tray (coins & cups) out to see if it would fit there. I don't like to use the cup holder anyway, might spill into the radio. How would you rate the one you have, in the Ody without an external antenna? One mile range, two mile?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Shin John:
Check Dorhn's pics. I think that's the one you're thinking of...</font>
Thats it! You da man! How did you search? I used "CB radio" and found two hits, and neither had CB radio anywhere.

Thanks

------------------
Lanny
2K1 EX MB

[This message has been edited by my_2001ody (edited 12-19-2001).]

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Radio Shack has models for $30 and $60 which will fill your needs just fine. I bought a more expensive model that was on sale that has a built in SWR meter, weather radio and PA capability and paired it with a Shack magnetic roof mount antenna. It works great.

I ended up mounting the mounting bracket to the front of the storage bin above the front power outlet. This puts the mike and controls within view and easy reach, and out of the way of everything else. I drilled two small 1/4 inch holes below the handle on the bin for the bracket which is mounted with bolts and wing nuts for easy removal for in town driving.

------------------
2002 TW EX; Weathertechs; Splash; 4X Pioneer 1695's w/ Blaupunkt Casablanca head unit; Hella Supertone Horns; Hitch w/ Transmission & Power Steering Coolers; 2001 Five-spoke Alloy Wheels.
2000 Honda CBR 929 RR

·
Registered
139 Posts
Lanny, I tried a hand held unit first with no luck- no range. Then I installed an old Radio Shack CB I had in my junk (the one you see in my pictures) and a "through-the-glass" antenna on the windshield above the rear view mirror. Again, no range and it launched itself somewhere on I 65 at 80 mph! Next I installed a short "rubber duck" magnetic mount antenna from Wal-Mart. It works great and clears my garage door. I'll snap some pictures of how I routed the antenna wire and add them to my album if it will help.

Dorhn

PS--Just added the pics to my album
------------------
View My Pics
http://www.fototime.com/inv/36F6F83A8CFDFA6

[This message has been edited by dlh2 (edited 12-20-2001).]

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by my_2001ody:
Thats it! You da man! How did you search? I used "CB radio" and found two hits, and neither had CB radio anywhere.
</font>
LOL. I used the "shindog" search feature... (I just happened to remember his pic gallery) I think my brain acts alot like this website's engine. Sometimes it works like charm; other times, yeah... not so good...

------------------
-Shin John
'01 DEP EX, and I'm workin' on it! (slowly)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts