Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well I took the odyssey to a garage to check the rear mount. which it seems they are not experienced with for the odyssey. anyhow I made them look at this oil that has been leaking from under the transmission pan and ya they were like its the rear main engine seal, either for the tranny or the engine, and its a big job since they have to open up the whole thing....but the guy suggested for me to use something like lucas engine stop leak type of thing to see if that will help... Anyone else have this problem? the leak was there from about 2 months ago, started using autorx a month ago, doesnt seem like its helping that....

·
Registered
53 Posts
no some local garage I have been going to for years
If it's been years of good service from them then you probably can't go wrong with them at this price. I'd go ahead and have it done. Just be prepared for the eventual "can of worms" :p

·
Registered
193 Posts
If it's the main oil seal then it needs to be fixed. Don't use a stop leak product.

$450 sounds reasonable if you have confidence they can do the job.

·
Registered
174 Posts
IMHO, $450 is cheap to drop the tranny, do the rear main and tranny input seal & reainstall.

·
Registered
54 Posts
well I took the odyssey to a garage to check the rear mount. which it seems they are not experienced with for the odyssey. anyhow I made them look at this oil that has been leaking from under the transmission pan and ya they were like its the rear main engine seal, either for the tranny or the engine, and its a big job since they have to open up the whole thing....but the guy suggested for me to use something like lucas engine stop leak type of thing to see if that will help... Anyone else have this problem? the leak was there from about 2 months ago, started using autorx a month ago, doesnt seem like its helping that....
I'd definitely get it looked at by the dealer to get another opinion. Also, using aftermarket fluids to try and fix something is not recommended by any manufacturer as they've got crap in them that can not only solidify in the presence of air but can gunk up other vital passages and interact in the wrong way with fluids.

·
Registered
293 Posts
If it is no leaking too much, you might want to try one of the high mileage motor oil formulas that contain seal conditioner . I doubt that any any of the major brand additives will do and seriosu harm but the may moy work .However , I agree with the others that at some point you will have to replace the seal .

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
quick update, switched to synthetic for both engine/transmission oil just to see i it makes any difference, haven't seen any drops on the floor after change :cheers: . the juddering sound thing in the transmission quietened (not gone), but the best is how smooth some of the shifts are. whats confusing is that the transmission oil (z1) was still pink when I switched. thanks for the input guys

1 - 10 of 10 Posts