Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to find out whether McIntosh or Rockfords are any good.

PS. Shinjohn: I'm still trying to get hold of the Canadian distributor for a/d/s. If this guy doesn't call me today, I'm going to put out an APB on him. a/d/s is apparently going through ownership changes. I'll know by noon today. May end up with Boston Rallys. 2 shops already told me that on Hondas, it's really not 6.5". They're recommending 5.25" to 6.0". I think it's because of mounting depth. It's shallow. Unless we can find a 6.5" shallow depth. According to one shop, a/d/s is deep so my option is to go 5.25". I think Bostons are also deep.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kuruma Hayai:
Just wanted to find out whether McIntosh or Rockfords are any good.
</font>
Based on what I know of you, McIntosh is definitely worth listening to. Very good speakers. Rockfords probably will not suit your tastes, IMO. RF typically sells to the "boomer" high SPL crowd. This is not to say they are bad, I just think not good for you.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
PS. Shinjohn: I'm still trying to get hold of the Canadian distributor for a/d/s. If this guy doesn't call me today, I'm going to put out an APB on him. a/d/s is apparently going through ownership changes. I'll know by noon today. May end up with Boston Rallys. 2 shops already told me that on Hondas, it's really not 6.5". They're recommending 5.25" to 6.0". I think it's because of mounting depth. It's shallow. Unless we can find a 6.5" shallow depth. According to one shop, a/d/s is deep so my option is to go 5.25". I think Bostons are also deep.
</font>
Funny that I didn't really even THINK about you being in Canada, and availability being an issue. Well, hope you find them, but there are lots of other excellent brands. Did you audition any of these speaks yet? Maybe you can tell me what your local (higher end) car audio shops carry and I can try to narrow your focus, like you asking about RF and McIntosh.... That may make your quest easier. Also, you should go and listen a bit, esp. seeing that you are willing to invest a few bucks in this endeavor.

In terms of fit, I'm a bit confused. Now, I've worked on Civics before and mounted plenty of different 6.5s. They fit. Check Autotoys and their Civic installs. There are lots of 6.5s in them. Now I have not seen your car, nor do I have any info as to whether the Canadian and US versions differ in this regard (It's hard for me to believe they would differ).

My understanding is this: you can fit a 6.5" up there even up to depths of ~2.5" so long as you are comfortable cutting a little plastic.

True, the new 620 from Boston is a bit on the big size (requires 5.25" cutout, 2 5/8" mounting depth) but I'm not convinced it will not fit. Having not installed this particular model speaker in that car, I can't speak authoritatively on this.

But, I believe the issue that your installers are weary about is that the latest Civics have the speaker mount integral to the door panel, similar to the Ody. The mounting and cutout diameter is really the main concern, since the basket and mounting flange is usually bigger than factory. Depth shouldn't be an issue in the door, it's there once some plastic is cut.

My advice: pop off one of your grill covers. Take out one of your door speakers. Take a look and measure the standard cutout and see what you can easily cut in terms of plastic. I think you can figure out pretty quickly what will fit easily.

Even Crutchfield lists the Kicker impulse as an "easy-plus" install for the 2000 Civic, and this speaker is similar in size to the Boston.....

Hope this helps. If I get a chance to speak to one of my (pro) installer buddies soon, I'll ask to confirm if the Bostons fits in your car.

------------------
-Shin John
'01 DEP EX, and I'm workin' on it! (slowly)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts