Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my wife's 2001 Odyssey's 2nd tranny died about 2 weeks ago and we scrambled to find another vehicle. We ended up buying a 2007 Odyssey EX-L with 59k from CarMax. Really nice vehicle; we love it!! After reading here it seems that we won't qualify for an extended hondacare warranty and I was wondering if there is a way to find out if my van has an extended warranty that may have been purchased by the original owner.

Also, what's the best extended warranty to go with on a used vehicle?? I spoke to my local honda dealer and they quoted me $3000 for a Platinum Warranty, whatever that is? I asked the rep to email me all of the info and of course have not got anything back yet :)

·
Registered
635 Posts
At 59K miles, you wouldn't qualify to buy Honda Care. If the previous owner had bought Honda Care and you didn't know about, it wouldn't apply to you anyways because Honda Care has to be transferred to you by the original owner for it to remain active. Otherwise it's good for original owner only.

Honda Care is really the ONLY extended warranty worth a dime in my book! All the other 3rd party ones you can potentially have grief with.

My recommendation is to keep the money you would have spent on the warranty in a "repair" account and use it as needed for any issues that may come up. The 2007 and newer Odysseys have the newer beefed up Ridgeline 4-shaft tranny so it's unlikely you'll have the same tranny issues you had with your 2001. And we all know Honda engines last forever if properly maintained (I assume you checked out the van thoroughly BEFORE you bought it!!). That leaves only minor issues that can go wrong... and a few grand can get you through quite a few minor issues.

That's my 2 cents!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At 59K miles, you wouldn't qualify to buy Honda Care. If the previous owner had bought Honda Care and you didn't know about, it wouldn't apply to you anyways because Honda Care has to be transferred to you by the original owner for it to remain active. Otherwise it's good for original owner only.

Honda Care is really the ONLY extended warranty worth a dime in my book! All the other 3rd party ones you can potentially have grief with.

My recommendation is to keep the money you would have spent on the warranty in a "repair" account and use it as needed for any issues that may come up. The 2007 and newer Odysseys have the newer beefed up Ridgeline 4-shaft tranny so it's unlikely you'll have the same tranny issues you had with your 2001. And we all know Honda engines last forever if properly maintained (I assume you checked out the van thoroughly BEFORE you bought it!!). That leaves only minor issues that can go wrong... and a few grand can get you through quite a few minor issues.

That's my 2 cents!
Thanks for the response!! Unfortunately, that's what I figured. You really think a warranty offered by the honda dealer is still a waste??

·
Registered
635 Posts
Yes, a 3rd party warranty even offered by the dealer is a waste because the guy selling it won't be the guy you are talking to when you are trying to get them to pay for a repair! Honda Care, on the other hand, is backed by Honda corporate, so it has to be honored by any dealer in the U.S. and you know Honda won't go out of business!

So again, I would save the money and put it toward any repairs you MAY need. That's the best way to go...

·
Super Moderator
13,843 Posts
Agreed. No point in 3rd party warranties. All they do is try and get out of paying. Might as well save some $$ for a rainy day fund.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Did you look into the CarMax extended warranty?

My buddy bought a '06(?) 4Runner from CarMax with their warranty and after about 6 months needed to have about $1100 worth of work done and it was covered.

I don't recall the work needed but it was def mechanical.

He raves about the CarMax warranty.

Joel

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Registered
288 Posts
Thanks for the response!! Unfortunately, that's what I figured. You really think a warranty offered by the honda dealer is still a waste??
I purchased a Mechanical Breakdown Protection Plan issued by Mercury Select Management part of Mercury Insurance Company. It was the same coverage offered by my local AAA club, but I purchased it from an agency in CA for over $400> than the quote I received from AAA. It is also what some manufactures offer as their extended warranty and by credit unions and other lending organizations. I would look into that before a third-party warranty from a dealer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts