Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Any way to disable the seat belt warning chime?

1931 18
Before the safety Nazis come after me, let me state that I always wear my seat belt.

In the South, the first thing I want to do when I get in the car is start the car and crank up the A/C. Then, I set up my cell phone and perhaps program in a destination. Then, I put on my sunglasses. Once all that is done, I put on my seatbelt and then drive off.

I don't like some stupid chime hectoring me to do something that I simply haven't gotten to yet in my pre-flight routine.

I don't want to hack the wiring in the buckle (like I did on my 2000 Ody, where you just had to unplug the buckle wire under the seat) because I don't want to cause issues elsewhere with the restraint system (airbags, pretensioners, etc.). Also a dummy seatbelt buckle won't work for the reason that I DO want to wear my seat belt, when I am good and ready.
Reactions: CheesyRider
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
The chime shouldn’t come while the vehicle in Parking Gear, Is that not the case? If it’s not in P then you have started to drive and should put the belt on before doing so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is my thought as well, although I am not the primary driver of our Odyssey anymore so I don't know when the seatbelt chime begins.

Why not use the dummy buckle and swap them out when you are ready to buckle up? It would add one more step to your pre-flight routine, along with having to find some place to stash it (dearth of storage in Odysseys, right?). You could reinsert the dummy buckle when you are deplaning, and it will be all set for your next flight.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Before the safety Nazis come after me, let me state that I always wear my seat belt.

In the South, the first thing I want to do when I get in the car is start the car and crank up the A/C. Then, I set up my cell phone and perhaps program in a destination. Then, I put on my sunglasses. Once all that is done, I put on my seatbelt and then drive off.

I don't like some stupid chime hectoring me to do something that I simply haven't gotten to yet in my pre-flight routine.

I don't want to hack the wiring in the buckle (like I did on my 2000 Ody, where you just had to unplug the buckle wire under the seat) because I don't want to cause issues elsewhere with the restraint system (airbags, pretensioners, etc.). Also a dummy seatbelt buckle won't work for the reason that I DO want to wear my seat belt, when I am good and ready.

Why not use the dummy buckle and swap them out when you are ready to buckle up? It would add one more step to your pre-flight routine, along with having to find some place to stash it (dearth of storage in Odysseys, right?). You could reinsert the dummy buckle when you are deplaning, and it will be all set for your next flight.
They make seatbelt extenders which is pretty much just a male to female end adaptor. It would get rid of the chime, but it's a safety concern if the buckle isn't on your side.

It's not normal for the van to chime during startup or while you're in PARK though; it sounds like another issue.

Also, do you not hit the remote start before leaving home? It'd save a couple of minutes waiting to get the A/C to blow cold.

·
Registered
721 Posts
You can also purchase a short seatbelt extension.
They make seatbelt extenders which is pretty much just a male to female end adaptor. It would get rid of the chime, but it's a safety concern if the buckle isn't on your side.
Is there any way a seatbelt extender could cause the restraint mechanism to fail? I can't think of it since the restraint doesn't care how far out it is pulled initially - just that quick, jerk action that locks it up. But I'm wondering from a safety aspect - if the extender itself fails. Maybe my brain is still trying to warm up this morning (it is a frigid 55 degrees in Los Angeles).

·
Registered
231 Posts
Is there any way a seatbelt extender could cause the restraint mechanism to fail? I can't think of it since the restraint doesn't care how far out it is pulled initially
I'm not an expert on seatbelt extenders and safety restraints, but by having the seatbelt buckle at a higher position, the lap belt and cross would be more toward the center of your body, so in the event of an accident, I could see the male end of the OEM seatbelt press against your body instead of just the belt.

As for the restraint mechanism, in theory, it should work the same with that jerk motion you mentioned.

·
Registered
2015 Honda Odyssey EX-L Smoky Topaz Metallic
339 Posts
Simply buckle the seatbelt before you sit in the seat. Start the vehicle and then proceed with your pre-drive routine, before you shift out of park, lean forward a bit, unfasten seatbelt that is behind you then bring it in front of you and fasten as normal. No need to do any wiring hacks or mess with dummy male ends.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Simply buckle the seatbelt before you sit in the seat. Start the vehicle and then proceed with your pre-drive routine, before you shift out of park, lean forward a bit, unfasten seatbelt that is behind you then bring it in front of you and fasten as normal. No need to do any wiring hacks or mess with dummy male ends.
No no, that idea is too simple and makes too much sense, we have to mess with all the dongles.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Is there any way a seatbelt extender could cause the restraint mechanism to fail? I can't think of it since the restraint doesn't care how far out it is pulled initially - just that quick, jerk action that locks it up. But I'm wondering from a safety aspect - if the extender itself fails. Maybe my brain is still trying to warm up this morning (it is a frigid 55 degrees in Los Angeles).
Yes of course there is an inherent risk when modifying a fully tested and regulated piece of safety equipment. You can't know for sure unless you do your own testing.

To me the best option might be to buy a universal seatbelt buckle that you can plug in when you want to shut off the alarm. Then just put it in your center console when it's time to put your seatbelt on.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Could you go into the buckle itself like this person did with their 2007?

Seat belt alarm disable
I took the cover off the buckle so I can answer my own question. It is a different design than the one in the 2007 Odyssey. I could find no way to physically close the switch without buckling. If you look at the photo below, there is a bar that comes down into a channel when the seat belt is buckled. I can't figure out how to trigger the switch without blocking the bar. I also couldn't figure out how to remove the switch from the assembly.

I did discover that the switch itself is special. If you try to bypass it completely, you will get errors when you start the car. Luckily they go away on their own after getting rid of the bypass.

If I could source just an extra switch, I might be able permanently close it and to wire it into the plug under the seat. However, it seems like it might be part of the whole assembly as I couldn't figure out how to remove it.

If anyone else wants to open up the buckle and take a look, you'll need a security type #10 Torx bit. I used one from this Harbor Freight kit: Security Bit Set with Case, 100 Piece

UPDATE: The switch cannot be purchased by itself. The part number for the assembly is 04816-THR-A00ZA (it might be a different part # for 2021 & up). It is about $40 and includes the wiring harness. So, you could break it apart, pull out the switch with the harness and the metal bar. It should be easy to figure out a way to secure the bar in place. Then, just plug it in under the seat. It shouldn't be very hard to do, but I'm not sure if it's worth $40 to me.

Motor vehicle Steering part Steering wheel Automotive design Automotive exterior

·
Registered
684 Posts

I know you dont really want to hear this but I didnt see anything in your preflight routine that is inhibited by the seatbelt being fastened.
As youre finding theres ways to accomplish what you would really like to do but none of them are less trouble than giving in to lifes small annoyances and buckling the belt first.
Just my 2 cents not trying to troll you.
Alternately I wonder if you could not put your weight on the seat bottom, kinda lean on the back only... Naw.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Like the OP, I prefer to buckle my seat belt last. The chime isn't really that annoying, so I never bothered trying to disable it. But, this thread gave me a bug to figure it out. As I mentioned before, the seat belt switch can't simply be bypassed or errors will appear on the dash.

I was able to find a seat belt mechanism from a totaled Odyssey. I removed the switch (it was attached with a rivet) , glued the trigger bar in place to simulate a buckled belt, shortened the wiring, plugged it in under the seat, and used zip ties to secure it in place behind the old plug. It works exactly as if the belt is buckled now.
Ac adapter Wire Font Jewellery Cable
Gas Wood Fixture Machine Auto part
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Wood Auto part Flooring
Metal Auto part Bicycle part Fashion accessory Monochrome photography
Wood Gas Bumper Auto part Automotive exterior
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Auto part

·
Administrator
15,253 Posts
We have one of these once or twice a year.

They all start with "Safety Nazis ...". Its quite funny.

If these were not needed, the manufacturers would NOT install them. There would not be seat belt laws etc. I get that you all claim that you only need this disabled and do ALWAYS use your belt on roads. That said, allow me to ask you non-chime people, a simple question.

Lets say, hypothetically, your Ody was involved in a crash and it was a fatal crash. If/when your car is investigated and they find shorted wires in the SRS system, what side do you guys think the judgement is going to go? Ever thought along those lines sometime?

Reactions: DJVAN and lindros2

·
Registered
516 Posts
Btw I always wear my seatbelt, chime or not.
I was t-boned 3 weeks after getting my license, in a 1987 VW Golf, which didn’t have a lap belt (it had the motorized door attached belt), hit so hard that my key flew out of the ignition, window glass shattered clean, and seat bent towards the center console.
I walked away.
20 years earlier, my father rolled an AMC Javelin. If he was wearing a seatbelt, he would have been pinned or strangled.
He walked away.
but these are two outliers in billions of situations where seatbelts save lives.
and there’s no way I’m disabling the chime.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts